PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone out there running their machine without the head cover?

Z-clip
11-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a B series machine that is has been nigh literally down more than it's up. recently I had problems with the cover sensor switch/motor cut off and head termination board, which prompted me to cut an access port in the head cover venting. It's a real PITA to constantly remove/reinstall the cover and I'm seriously considering removing the head cover and replacing the lid sensors with toggles or rockers. when I was cuting my access port in the head cover, I noticed a air duct that picked up near the left end of the Y track and ported into the carving motor, which I left intact during the mod process for obvious reasons.

if anyone else out there has already gone this route, I'd like to ask: what type of switches did you go with to replace the cover sensor and motor cut off switch? also, I'd like to know how you dealt with the breathing port for the carving motor? I've been thinking about porting it in from an automotive air filter via medical tubing, but considering where the machine normally picks the air up from, I didn't know it it was necessary to give it clean air.

Thanks for your time, any constructive thoughts are greatly appreciated.
-Z-

gwizpro
12-02-2011, 03:25 AM
I have had the head cover off for over 2 years. Just leave the switches intact and find a place to put them . I used tie wraps to keep the switches closed. The air porting has not been an issue. Also, be sure to attached the flex shaft at some point to the base. Many will tell you not to take off the cover for a variety of reasons. The head cover is a safety feature.

Z-clip
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Mucho grassyass, Would you mind posting/sending a picture of how you secured your flex shaft, I'm not following you on that one unless you are talking about keeping the flex shaft more or less inline with it's intended path from motor to cutter.

Thanks again for your time.
-Z-

brdad
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I haven't gotten to the point of complete cover removal yet, but I have bypassed the switches. It got to the point where I was cleaning out the smaller one every other carve. MY original intention was to replace both switches with one sealed magnetic switch which would operate a relay to open both circuits should the door open. Then I decided I didn't feel removal of the switches is any more dangerous than using my router table or some other power tools. For the cut motor switch, I removed the entire switch and leads and connected the connectors using a short piece of #12 solid copper wire, it is a perfect size. The other switch I soldered a small wire between the terminals. Like any power tool, you just need to pay attention to what you're doing.

I'd think a hole could be drilled to facilitate the use of a wire tie to keep the flex shaft properly positioned, but as I stated, I have not gone to that point yet.