PDA

View Full Version : $20 to ship one bit?

hogiewan
11-30-2011, 09:10 AM
I wanted to try the 3/16" carving bit but the shipping charge is really putting me off.

dbfletcher
11-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Which chuck do you have? Ron Justice also sells those bits.

lynnfrwd
11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I wanted to try the 3/16" carving bit but the shipping charge is really putting me off.

You can select Regular Shipping & Handling for $12.

Ike
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM

Connie, I am thinking that is the shipping price hogiewan is talking about! I understand the ideal, with my signs I have a standard $18.00 shipping that includes signs 4" by 24" to 12" by 24". The 4" by 24" I charge $18.00 to $28.00 so $18.00 dollars for shipping turns customers away! The thing is with UPS they have a measurement range and that 4" sign and 12" sign cost the same to ship! Normally around $15.00, but with UPS there is a charge for rural routes and I never know by the customer's address if it is rural. So I charge $18.00 to cover so some customer may pay a little more then needed, but it covers the signs that are over $18.00.

However the USPS cost less I ordered 4- 90 degree bits from a E-bay vendor and he charged my $3.50 for shipping from PA to Ca. So who knows!

Ike

gapdev
11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Switch to Ground Shipping, then you can select USPS for $12.00. Order more than 1 to make the shipping worthwhile.

Amazon sells the bits as well, but you have to watch them.

I ordered a bunch of Carving bits and they sent Cutting bits. I should have sent them back but what the heck, bits get dull so might as well keep them.

Kenny

lynnfrwd
11-30-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm sire eBay gets a better shipping rate than we do!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Sure

Ike
11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Sure

Are you sire about your sure!

northey87
12-01-2011, 04:17 PM
The onlything I don't get is when I select USPS my parts almost always come UPS? Espeically when a lot of parts will fit into a $5 small flat rate box?

Not making waves, just sayin'.

chief2007
12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Wondering why LHR/Carvewright does not have the Postal Service as an option for the smaller orders. I think this would bring them more business on bits, and other smaller accessories/items. I have read throughout the forum that other have bought else where because of the shipping. I have bought spare parts from others on the forum just because of the shipping cost involved from LHR/Carvewright.

Just some feedback for LHR/Carvewright and hopefully something they might consider.

lynnfrwd
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Many times that decision is based on the ability to TRACK the order, and accountability/compensation for packages lost, stolen or damaged.

We've beat this horse several times on this forum!!!!

sk8nmike
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM

You know USPS has a box that's about 6"x8"x2' for $4.99 and will what ever you can fit into it for that price. Even with handeling fee you should be able to get under the $10 mark for shipping.

lynnfrwd
12-02-2011, 10:42 AM
So, are you saying you want a $10 - no guarantee - shipping option? If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again. No claim process, no tracking number.

jaustin
12-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Well I can't complain right now about the shipping rate. UPS lost my bits and carvewright is making it right.<br>
<br>
When I put the package dimension in UPS using my UPS acct it was $11.15 to ship it from TX to North Carolina with insurance to cover item<br>
So the shipping is not being over charged<br>
<br>
Using the same dimensions USPS is

Priority MailŪ
$5.35
$5.19

Insurance (Amount of Insurance $120.00)
$2.85
$2.85

Delivery Confirmation™
$0.70
No charge

Total
$8.90
$8.04

So to me there rates are not out of line.

My shipping price was $12 from Carvewright

dbfletcher
12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
So, are you saying you want a $10 - no guarantee - shipping option? If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again. No claim process, no tracking number.

I personally think that is a great Idea. A few years ago I was a pretty steady ebay seller with my sideline paintball business. In the 3 years I was very active, out of the nearly 3000 packages I shipped via USPS Priority, I only had one package that was damaged (none lost or stolen). In addition, I order virtually everything online, so I typically get 2-3 packages dropped off everyday. I can only recall two occasions where I had to make a claim. One they did find a few weeks later in the back of a truck, so there was only one that never did show up. Of course the vendor replaced no questions asked.

As for "If it is stolen, lost or damaged in USPS care, you will reorder and pay for it again." Well, I would think you would base that off how many claims you actually get. If you ship 10000 packages with out incident, I dont think it is unreasonable for the vendor to absorb an occasional screw-up. Of course if you are seeing issues of one in a few hundred or more, then I cant blame you for not wanting to absorb those costs.

Ton80
12-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I ordered two bits this week.. One from Amazon ( carving bit $35 plus 2 day shipping @ $10 ) and another bit which will arrive at my local Lowes. Same carving bit but only $24 and $0 shipping.. I looked at purchasing the bit from LHR but two things turned me off.. The cost of shipping which is more than 50% the cost of the bit and the fact that they say in big lettering it could take a day or two to process the order..

I think these two things are turning people in another direction to order their bits.. It certainly turned me away, although I know that the bits are still coming from LHR, they are just arriving faster and cheaper than they would if I ordered from the source.

I use FEDEX for shipping customers cabinets that I make. Average price is over $300 and I insure them for the full value. All things are relative but I can ship a 30 lb cabinet within a few zones of my home for the same price LHR is shipping a tiny little carbide bit. That includes a required signature, full insurance and a home delivery surcharge.. Perhaps LHR should can UPS and offer FEDEX the business instead.

lynnfrwd
12-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow! Lowe's does have great pricing! Shop Lowes!!!

Ton80
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
LOL. not sure if that is sarcastic or not, Lynn ;) If I'm not mistaken, their ( Lowe's ) orders are actually fulfilled by Carvewright which makes that price difference really bizarre.

lynnfrwd
12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Either way, it comes through us and if Lowe's is selling and happy .... that's good for us too! If my "forum friends" can get a good deal....go for it! They get a dealer rate, but I don't see how they make much money off of it. Of course, it is rare that I've ever gone into Lowe's and bought JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!!!

Ton80
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe that is what they are counting on.. I will walk by all those nice tools and other accessories as I head to pick up my special order bit :) I also doubt that I will walk out with only the bit when it arrives!

northey87
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't count on that either! My local lowes does not carry any of LHRs stuff. I ordered two memory cards from lowes.com at almost half the cost of LHR $52 and the shipping was free to the store. Unfortunatly there was only one card in the package when I got home, and it was shipped directly from LHR to my local lowes o_O So Connie, lowes is going to be calling you guys, just as aheads up.;-)

lynnfrwd
12-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't count on that either! My local lowes does not carry any of LHRs stuff. I ordered two memory cards from lowes.com at almost half the cost of LHR $52 and the shipping was free to the store. Unfortunatly there was only one card in the package when I got home, and it was shipped directly from LHR to my local lowes o_O So Connie, lowes is going to be calling you guys, just as aheads up.;-)

That's fine. I will pass them to Accounting, as I don't manage those orders. I'm sure they will get the second card out to you, no problem.

jaustin
12-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I wonder if lowes would price match the $999 price?
get a 10% off price match plus zero interest.

:mrgreen:

ONLY WINGE
03-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Here is a good about shipping. I live in Homer Alaska I bought two sets of plastic stop collers and one 1/16 carving bit from LHR the shipping was $43.13. SO I had it shipped to my son in Belfair Washington and he shipped it to me for $12.00 go figure.

Dhaffner
04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
So if a person orders a bit and some plastic collars and the total comes to $30...and shipping is $26. You're already paying for it twice. As for tracking, the USPS offers tracking. I think it usually costs me about $0.79 on the larger boxes. As a consumer, I think many people would opt to accept the risk of loss and pay $5.99 (with tracking) from USPS as opposed to $12 or even $26. Make the consumer accept the risk if they choose the USPS option. For those more inclined, UPS could still be an option too...Just a suggestion.

rickroy
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks to all of you who have posted in the Forum, its a real help. Thanks to Connie too for sheparding us to buy our bits from Lowe's. At our local Lowe's, the sales rep was confused but as eager to please as a puppy. It took quite a few phone calls but the bits got ordered at about $27 each. If you are ordering bits from Lowe's for the first time, here are the numbers that you should have in hand when you go to Customer Service: CarveWright Vender Number is 89707, Product Line SOS138012, the 1/8th cutting bit for the Model C or CarveTight machine is BCT125P. Thanks to all of you.

unitedcases
11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
How about the part number for the 3/16 th bit?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

dltccf
11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
compiling a list of all cw part numbers that can be ordered from lowes would be great, I spend several hours in two different lowes recently and was never able to get them to be able to order the cutting bit.

dave

bquicksilver
12-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Those bits would ship anywhere in the continental US for approx $3 via USPS. At least that's the price I get and I'm sure LHR moves more product than I do (since I move none).

Just my .02, very obvious overcharges like this do a lot to undermine customer feelings toward a company. You could ship these at $6, still make some $$ and not anger every single person who makes an order. People know what it costs to ship things. Just some food for thought, I hope it's taken in a constructive manner.

lynnfrwd
12-07-2012, 11:25 PM
$12 minimum shipping and handling regular shipping. I understand, but that is what it is. Price doesn't go up till over 3 lbs.

mercer57
12-23-2012, 06:37 PM
If you have a Rock chuck, you can order bits that are coated and last for ever that cost less than 1/2, ie. I just order 1/8 in ballnose, 3/16 ball nose , and 3/16 cutting bits for $57.00 including shipping. All 4 flute .

unitedcases
12-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Uh...where did you find that deal at? I'm definitely in for that price.

Canemaker
12-23-2012, 10:02 PM
My wife who is a long time ebay seller says that anyone can get the same online discount that she receives as long as they register at the USPS.com website. For instance the standard price for shipping a 13 ounce priority package is $5.25 if you print out the postage online your cost is $4.97 The USPS also offers a priority flat rate box that should easily hold six to eight bits for $5.35 or for $5.15 if you print your postage online that doesn't have a weight restriction as long as it fits in the box, this is with free delivery confirmation, although insurance is extra. ($1.85 for up to a $50 value). However, there are other agencies online that provide insurance cheaper that can be used with USPS delivery services. The Post Office also provides free priority mail boxes that can be ordered online in bulk and delivered free to you. You can print out the postage on your computer at work either on a label or a piece of paper and tape it on and the Post Office will pickup the packages at the office free of charge thereby reducing your overhead cost of providing boxes, transportation and time constraint costs to deliver the packages to the post office. Another option is to send it as a 1st Class package since it would be over 1/4 thick which would be cheaper than priority, but you have to provide your own packaging. The USPS website does a comparision of all their available rates for the size of the package.

mercer57
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I bought them from hear,
http://the-carbide-end-mill-store.com/

unitedcases
12-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Wow. That's a lot of bits. I assume that you have already used these bits and if so, would you share some part numbers? I am mainly concerned with the 1/16 & 3/16 carving bits. There is just so many and I really get lost fast in there. It also appears that you are using rons 3/16 sleeve adapter? Just want to verify everything. Great find!

mercer57
12-24-2012, 01:37 PM
185-4187, 185-2125, 180-4187 are the part# of the bits I got, none of the bits on this site are tapered. this site has those

http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f-set.asp#tabs (http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f-set.asp#tabs) and yes you need a 3/16 sleeve to use 3/15 ballnose and squarenose bits

unitedcases
12-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Can you still use them to carve then even if they are not tapered?

mercer57
12-24-2012, 11:45 PM
The only bit that is tapered is the 1/16 carving bit, the 1/8 , 3/16 carving bits are straight ballnose , and the 1/16 , 1/8 , and 3/16 cutting bits are square endmills.

unitedcases
12-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Alright then. I think I am up to speed. I will make my order soon. Thanks for the help.