PDA

View Full Version : DXF Import

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi all, well I'm back with another question...I am trying to make a wooden clock gear by importing a DXF file of the gear. I can import it OK but I can seem to find out how to add the gear thickness or depth to the project. Thus when I try to upload the project to memory card, I get the warning that there is nothing to carve! Where am I going wrong or better yet HELP.... So far I am not to impressed with the program DXF Import especially the cost of $199.00 for what little it does! Seems to me that it isn't much different than to do an image import! Maybe I just don't understand what it is capable of doing. Thanks in advance for any help or instructions!

By the way, I also am having the same problem using the Carvewirght program with a MAC computer as the gentleman that was shouting on another post. I can get it to work only if I am willing to re-register the basic program online each time that I want to use my IMAC which is running the latest Lion version. The registration isn't there if I close the program and then re open it. Weird! I don't have any trouble using my PC running XP Professional. I assume that the LHR people are hard at work trying to figure out what is going on. If I can be of an assistance, as a test station or something, let me know as I am now retired and have plenty of time to play. Probably should have made this section as a separate post! Thanks again for any help!

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
The dxf import is just importing the vectors (paths) for you. Once you have done that, you will still need to assign a bit or use the cutout tool (preferred) to actually do something with the vectors. I typically recommend that users first try ai2mpc (free program) if they have the ability to get their files in a adobe illustrator 8.0 format to see if that meets there needs. IMHO the dxf importer does have a few advantages over ai2mpc.... but I also have trouble justifying the $199 price tag at times (although I do own it).

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your answer... The problem is that I don't see anywhere to choose the bit or depth or cutout tool... they are grayed out!! I will try the ai2mpc program but I really would like to use this program(DXF program) as it cost me $199.00! By the Way is there a wooden clock construction post anywhere on the forum? Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your answer... The problem is that I don't see anywhere to choose the bit or depth or cutout tool... they are grayed out!! I will try the ai2mpc program but I really would like to use this program(DXF program) as it cost me $199.00! By the Way is there a wooden clock construction post anywhere on the forum? Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?

There is no need to try ai2mpc if you already have the dxf importer. I typically just suggest that BEFORE people plunk down the $ for the dxf importer.

So you are saying once you have run it thru the dxf importer and save the mpc, when you open the mpc in designer you dont see anything you can select to apply the cutout tool to? Can you post a screenshot or two? I'm not at home right now, but if I get a chance tonight I will post a few screen shots of of me importing a dxf and applying bits/cutouts to it.

atauer
11-29-2011, 11:53 AM
The apply bit tools and cut out tools are typically grayed out unless there is a vector path selected on the project board. Once you have imported your DXF file, and are looking at your project board, you will need to select one of the vectors on the project. Then the tools will appear.

Alan Malmstrom
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I have extracted the ai2mpc zip. And I am assuming that I have to somehow run my ai8 file through the program from the command prompt. But how do I do that. Can anybody explain how to use this ai2mpc program?

Alan

The dxf import is just importing the vectors (paths) for you. Once you have done that, you will still need to assign a bit or use the cutout tool (preferred) to actually do something with the vectors. I typically recommend that users first try ai2mpc (free program) if they have the ability to get their files in a adobe illustrator 8.0 format to see if that meets there needs. IMHO the dxf importer does have a few advantages over ai2mpc.... but I also have trouble justifying the $199 price tag at times (although I do own it).

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Yep that seems to be what I am getting .... I will try to post some screen shots later tonite when you might be home.... I am in EST zone. Thanks for the help

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
There should be a readme file included in the zip files that explains the parameters. But here is the excerpt for "how to"

HowTo----- Save or export the desired vector data into an Adobe Illustrator .AI (version 3.0 to 8.0) compatible file and convert it with ai2mpc:
ai2mpc source_filename output_filename
Example: ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc

I typically copy my .ai file to the same directory as ai2mpc just to make the command line simpler to type

bjbethke
11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
I have extracted the ai2mpc zip. And I am assuming that I have to somehow run my ai8 file through the program from the command prompt. But how do I do that. Can anybody explain how to use this ai2mpc program?

Alan

I have posted a PDF on how to use that program a few years back, it runs in the machine data of your computer, I don't have that PDF on my computer now. You need to run that in the "command Prompt" function to enter the data. You need to use the image as a ".ai" version 8 or 3. and type in the statement "ai2mpc file_name.ai file_name.mpc" (no spaces) and then press return (on Windows), not sure about Apple. Hope this helps. Note; the MPC files get very large if you don't have closed loops in your image. I find files over 3MB"s - some times the CW designer will not load them. try to keep them less than 1MB. Hope this helps BJB

lynnfrwd
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Also I see that there is a carver about 30 miles away but I can't seem to find out how to contact him?

There is a UsersGroup coordinator 39 minutes from you in Pinckney MI (John Fowler). Contact John and help him get a group going if there is not one already. There are 79 people in your Area Code.

Alan Malmstrom
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Doug

My problem was that I forgot how to navigate directories from the command prompt. But I am able to get around that by placing the ai2mpc program and the file to be converted in my user folder because that is the folder that the command prompt goes to when I first open command prompt.

From there I just typed the program file name (ai2mpc), the file name of the file to be converted (roundedrectangle.ai), and then typed in the name I want to call the converted file (roundedrectangle.mpc) with the .mpc file extension added. So it looked like this:

C:\users\AlanMalmstrom>ai2mpc roundedrectange.ai roundedrectange.mpc

I hit enter and it worked.

Thanks, Alan

There should be a readme file included in the zip files that explains the parameters. But here is the excerpt for "how to"

HowTo----- Save or export the desired vector data into an Adobe Illustrator .AI (version 3.0 to 8.0) compatible file and convert it with ai2mpc:
ai2mpc source_filename output_filename
Example: ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc

I typically copy my .ai file to the same directory as ai2mpc just to make the command line simpler to type

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Great! If you read the readme file, there are also some options for making bit selections and drilling holes by adding notes to the objects in your .ai file before you process it. I dont use them often, but when the right type of project comes up, they can be tremendous time savers over doing the same thing with the dxf importer.

gapdev
11-29-2011, 01:54 PM
If you are interested in building Wooden clocks, take a look at the Naked Clock project

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=21882&cat=261&page=3

Well worth the money.

If you want to get your software and any projects/patterns registered, do this:

Open a Terminal Window (the Terminal program in your Applications/Utilities Folder)

Copy (Command-C) the following line:

sudo "/Applications/CarveWright.app/Contents/MacOS/CarveWright"

Paste (Command-V) the line into the Terminal Window.

When asked, enter your password (assuming you are an Administrator, if not then this won't work).

The Designer software will run as Root. Now License the software and any patterns and projects that you have purchased, as well as your DXF importer.

Quit the program and close the terminal window.

Don't create or save any new projects or add any new patterns to your Library or the files will be owned by root and you won't be able to write to them later on. Basically, just license whatever software/projects/patterns you have purchased (you can download the License File from the User Area on the Carvewright Web site and then Import that into Designer - makes it a lot easier), and then quit the program.

You can now run the Designer software as yourself and everything will be registered.

Don't run the software as root any more than you have to (to license software only) or you can cause other problems.

Kenny

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I dont own a mac, but couldnt they just chmod on the files (664 or 666 if required) and then these issues would go away? (or perhaps on the parent folder may make more sense)

gapdev
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
but couldnt they just chmod on the files (664 or 666 if required) and then these issues would go away? (or perhaps on the parent folder may make more sense)

Ok, I chmoded the two preference files to 664 but the Designer software still did not update the preferences or Recent Projects list, presumably because these two files are stored in the system Library folder where the Mac stores ITS files. I for one am not going to go messing around with the permissions on the Library folder (Apple even hides this folder in Lion so that if you don't know how to unhide it, you don't even know it is there).

I'll go check the Developer docs and see what they have to say about these issues.

Kenny

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
If you feel adventuresome, i'd at least try 666 on the two files in question. I probably would not what that as a permanent solution, but with world perms being set to r/w i cant see how it couldnt update the files. But then again... I make no claims of being a "mac" guy.

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help ... I seem to have it working now ... at least I was able to upload to a memory card and carving as I speak. Let you know if I have other questions ... and knowing me I will ha ha

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help ... I seem to have it working now ... at least I was able to upload to a memory card and carving as I speak. Let you know if I have other questions ... and knowing me I will ha ha

When you get a chance can you try to write up a summary of what you did to get it working? It is always useful to include the solution so if other users are experiencing the same issue, they can get the resolution right from the thread.

gapdev
11-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Doug,

i'd at least try 666 on the two files in question

It doesn't matter what I set the permissions to, the enclosing folder is writable only by root, so the software cannot write to those two files. At any rate, this is something that LHR needs to fix.

My message to LHR on the matter:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19608-OS-X-Lion-and-Designer-App

Kenny

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the update. So then I take it the Mac kernel deviates significantly from standard unix/linux builds? Typically the permissions on a file/folder take precedence over the parent folder. Anyways, thats good info to know.

edit: after posting I figured I better check my statements out as perhaps a change had been made to the kernels I use, but I setup a folder created by root with perms of 755 and then created a file within that folder and gave it perms of 664 at first (access denied as a non-priv user, and then 666 and COULD write to the file). I tested this on Ubuntu11, SUSE, Centos, Debian, and an old Solaris pizzabox I had laying around). So I guess I'm a little surprised that the Mac kernel doesnt honor the actual file privileges.

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
There is no need to try ai2mpc if you already have the dxf importer. I typically just suggest that BEFORE people plunk down the $ for the dxf importer.

So you are saying once you have run it thru the dxf importer and save the mpc, when you open the mpc in designer you dont see anything you can select to apply the cutout tool to? Can you post a screenshot or two? I'm not at home right now, but if I get a chance tonight I will post a few screen shots of of me importing a dxf and applying bits/cutouts to it.

I would still like to see your screen shots if you have the time to send them to me. BTW I created a gear and cut it but I still am having some problems with the carving ... to wit, my gear teeth didn't come like I wanted. I think that I need to somehow tell Designer to cut on the outside edge and I haven't found that yet. Again thanks for all your help!

Bobby

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
I will write up a summary when I am totally successful in make a gear! Thanks for the suggestion

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Doesnt look like I will have time to do it tonight. What size gear are your trying to cut? If you post your mpc we will probably be able to give you better advice. Keep in mind you always have to be aware of the geometry of the bit when making your designs. For example, and outside corner cut with the 1/8 bit will be square, but and inside corner will always be left with the radius of the bit. If they are small gears, you may want to use the 1/16 bit as long as you are using thin material (< 1/4").

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the help...the Mac registration worked great using your procedure...Hello LHR , are you listening! This man knows something! Thanks again for us Mac users!

Ropdoc
11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello guys, Boy am I overwhelmed. I have Illustrator and downloaded AI2MPC. I placed an AI file on c: and went to my run window shown below. It starts but does not create the MPC file. Is there anyone that knows what I am doing wrong. :roll: My head hurts from fighting this thing so I am going to bed.

bjmwoodworker
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
OK Doug
I'll get you a mpc post tomorrow and I was using a straight 1/16" bit cutting into the material .236 of an inch. It is a 60 tooth gear about 8" in diameter. I just didn't see where to adjust the geometry anywhere. I will continue to play with this tomorrow. got plenty of time ... snowing here anyway ....thanks again

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 08:55 PM
it is way easier to move the ai2mpc folder to the root of your "C:" drive... then you can click start/run/cmd

cd \ai2mpc
and then type your ai2mpc inputfile outputfile command line. That way if you get any errors, you will see them.

dbfletcher
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
OK Doug
I'll get you a mpc post tomorrow and I was using a straight 1/16" bit cutting into the material .236 of an inch. It is a 60 tooth gear about 8" in diameter. I just didn't see where to adjust the geometry anywhere. I will continue to play with this tomorrow. got plenty of time ... snowing here anyway ....thanks again

Great, and if you can post pictures of your attempts it will also be very useful. There are several people on here who have successfully cut gears (Jeff Birt just recently posted about his projects). I have cut a few but nothing that required very close tolerances.

Here is a link to his post:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19370-GearWright&highlight=gear

lawrence
11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there anything that ai2mpc does that the dxf importer does not do? I LOVE the dxf importer and use it all the time-- especially in conjunction with coreldraw and as a way to control the depth of lettering to create a "depth controlled faux centerline" (I love centerline text too though) I know that the cost is steep, but the program is awesome.

Lawrence

dbfletcher
11-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there anything that ai2mpc does that the dxf importer does not do? I LOVE the dxf importer and use it all the time-- especially in conjunction with coreldraw and as a way to control the depth of lettering to create a "depth controlled faux centerline" (I love centerline text too though) I know that the cost is steep, but the program is awesome.

Lawrence

The only thing I really know if is that it give you the ability to assign bits & depth settings at the drawing stage. So after you run it thru ai2mpc, you mpc could be totally complete and ready to upload to the card. At times this is can be huge time saver, but it really depends on the project. The only time I really use that feature is if I am doing a mock up of parts to see what layouts work the best. Once everything is defined in Illustrator, I can move the objects around all day long and never have to reassign anything after I convert the file.

The DXF import also have a few very nice features that ai2mpc doesnt... like splitting across boards for instant. I still use both...

Ropdoc
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I understand that A!2MPC software will allow me to take and AutoCAD drawing (DWG) and convert it into an MPC format. As long as I save it from Illustrator as an *.AI file extension. Then I can use that vector file in Designer. This allow me to create more complex and accurate cut paths, regions, and so on. Is this correct? I just need to get it to work. Unfortunitly I will not be home until tomorrow to try the instructions given by dbfletcher

dbfletcher
11-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes, that is correct. But you MUST be able to save to an illustrator v.8 or lower format (down to 3 I think). Newer .ai files will not work. For the programs I use, this has not been a problem for me.

gapdev
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Doug, so as to not clutter up this thread with OS permission thoughts, I'll reply privately (can't seem to find the Chit Chat Forum :roll:)

I put it here, instead:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19608-OS-X-Lion-and-Designer-App

Kenny