PDA

View Full Version : Here is a Laser Cutter

Alan Malmstrom
11-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't know anything about laser cutters but ran across this link today: https://www.inventables.com/technologies/desktop-laser-cutter-100-off-today-only

It says you can cut wood with it. That sounds pretty cool.

Alan

Digitalwoodshop
11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Yes, Overseas lasers are hitting the US market big time.... And this one looks like a nice one.....

Many of the Overseas Lasers use a Glass Laser Tube with a Water Pump through a bucket of water cooling.

Before you get real excited about this, check out the Sawmill Creek Laser Engraver Forum. There is a bunch of posts about this and other lasers and the Pitfalls.... Like the CW, some GOOD Stories and Some Bad Stories... but lately more good.

I have 2 very old Epilog Lasers. A 20 Watt and a 30 Watt.... The 30 Watt needs a Win 95 computer it is so old.... I have not used the lasers in a long time... I just have too many toys to play with....

So it is a 40 Watt..... That is the very least for Wood..... I cannot cut wood with my 20 watt... and I have never fired my 30.... and that would not cut wood very well either... So you need to be thinking 60 Watts or better for WOOD.....

BUT... With a 40 Watt you could make some pretty cool stuff.....

I started out with 3 Very Very Very old Plastic Side Lasers and traded them for the 2 Epilog Lasers as a guy had 20 plus of the old lasers on NJ and wanted more....

With my lasers, Epilog had a falling out with the Laser Manufacturer as EPILOG now makes it's OWN Lasers for the new machines and the old Laser Maker has Dis Owned Epilog making lasers like I have Worthless if the Tube fails... And the Tube is all the time leaking at a very small level and just sitting there unused is going bad.... I understand this from my years making Picture Tubes with Sony...

There is a Group working on Glass Laser Tubes and the Drivers that could be used on Lasers built in 1995 like I have.... I see that soon...

Good Luck,

AL

Ton80
11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I remember inquiring about the epilog before going with the carvewright. The sample of the Myan or Aztec ( can't remember ) Calendar they sent was absolutely mind blowing the detail. The thing was only about 3" in diameter. I also love how the lasers can basically print a picture on wood!

The price of the unit I would need to run my jobs would have cost me around 12,000 though so I decided to go with the carvewright.. One day I will make the jump into a laser machine though.. maybe not into one per-say but you get it 8)

Ton80
11-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Al, I want to come play in your shop for a weekend.. so much cooler than mine!

Yes, Overseas lasers are hitting the US market big time.... And this one looks like a nice one.....

Many of the Overseas Lasers use a Glass Laser Tube with a Water Pump through a bucket of water cooling.

Before you get real excited about this, check out the Sawmill Creek Laser Engraver Forum. There is a bunch of posts about this and other lasers and the Pitfalls.... Like the CW, some GOOD Stories and Some Bad Stories... but lately more good.

I have 2 very old Epilog Lasers. A 20 Watt and a 30 Watt.... The 30 Watt needs a Win 95 computer it is so old.... I have not used the lasers in a long time... I just have too many toys to play with....

So it is a 40 Watt..... That is the very least for Wood..... I cannot cut wood with my 20 watt... and I have never fired my 30.... and that would not cut wood very well either... So you need to be thinking 60 Watts or better for WOOD.....

BUT... With a 40 Watt you could make some pretty cool stuff.....

I started out with 3 Very Very Very old Plastic Side Lasers and traded them for the 2 Epilog Lasers as a guy had 20 plus of the old lasers on NJ and wanted more....

With my lasers, Epilog had a falling out with the Laser Manufacturer as EPILOG now makes it's OWN Lasers for the new machines and the old Laser Maker has Dis Owned Epilog making lasers like I have Worthless if the Tube fails... And the Tube is all the time leaking at a very small level and just sitting there unused is going bad.... I understand this from my years making Picture Tubes with Sony...

There is a Group working on Glass Laser Tubes and the Drivers that could be used on Lasers built in 1995 like I have.... I see that soon...

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
11-28-2011, 06:40 PM
I remember inquiring about the epilog before going with the carvewright. The sample of the Myan or Aztec ( can't remember ) Calendar they sent was absolutely mind blowing the detail. The thing was only about 3" in diameter. I also love how the lasers can basically print a picture on wood!

The price of the unit I would need to run my jobs would have cost me around 12,000 though so I decided to go with the carvewright.. One day I will make the jump into a laser machine though.. maybe not into one per-say but you get it 8)

Ahh, so you were going to get a cheap one, eh? :)

I was looking at the Epilogs for around $17,000 five years ago. I had an appointment at a shop in Florida to look at 3 different configurations and pick from for purchase. A week or so before the trip, my wife spotted the original Sears ad on TV for the CompuCarve. It sure looked like a heck of lot more fun than a laser engraver...and a ton of $$ less, too! I ordered my CompuCarve the very next day, and cancelled the Epilog appoinment. I haven't regretted that decision for one second. It should be illegal for someone to have so much fun - I have never had a hobby (now turned business) that has brought so much enjoyment as my CompuCarve/CarveWright "miracle machines" have given me!