PDA

View Full Version : Non keyboard side dust collection port

Oldtrainerguy
11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
I am thinking about removing the non-keyboard side of my machine and fashioning a dust collection port.

I would not be modifying the machine and that side has no electronics attached that I know of .

Will post pictures when I get er done!:p

Ike
11-28-2011, 12:24 PM
I am thinking about removing the non-keyboard side of my machine and fashioning a dust collection port.

I would not be modifying the machine and that side has no electronics attached that I know of .

Will post pictures when I get er done!:p

Kemn810 has a side dust port, maybe he will show some photos of his DC system?

Ike

Kenm810
11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
These are a few Photos from a couple of years back,
I've tried all the different types of dust systems, Down Drafts, Top and Front Mount Vacuums,
but found a combination Down Draft and Side Vent System works best for me -- and my types of projects.
Other folks have an assortment of units or combinations they like and that work well for them.
It's just a matter of experimenting or trial and error till you find what you like, or need for your carver.

This is one of many posts I put up awhile back you can look at Dust collection (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=7101&highlight=side+vent)

edzbaker
11-29-2011, 07:14 AM
I removed the side on one of my machines once and used it for a while with DC installed there. With the side missing completly it allowed the bottom to flex slightly when cranking the head down, and allowed the gears to slip, causing the head to get "un-level".
With the side removed, install a board and crank the head down and up, and you will see what I'm talking about. I eventually cut a hole in the side and re-installed it to stop the bottom of the machine from flexing.
Just something to think about...

Ed

cnsranch
11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
There are many versions of a DC system floating around. In fact, you can buy one ready to install on CW's website. Most agree that pulling from under the machine doesn't work. The experts tell us that we're courting disaster by trying to hook up a DC at the exhaust port. But, it seems that any DC system will require modification of the machine in one form or another. My bet is that it's cheaper to replace the clear plastic cover than the side of the machine if it ever needs to be reconfigured (and since LHR has gotten away from insisting that the machine is pristine when sending it in for repair under warranty, we're good to go with adding a DC system).

That all said, I've been using FredrikP's DC set up for quite some time. I've carved Corian and SignFoam without need for any clean-up. I simply can't tout it's functionality any more - it's great.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13433-Dust-Collection-the-final-answer&highlight=final+answer

Oldtrainerguy
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Ken :

Thanks for the pics. This really helps. How did you ground the unit?

Kenm810
11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
My combination Carving Machine and Down Draft cabinet is a mobile unit,
that I can place anywhere I want in shop. The carver is grounded to the blower in the cabinet,
which in turn is grounded to the wall receptacle box with a alligator clamp.
So far no problems with Static Charges.