PDA

View Full Version : Harlley logo

CarverJerry
11-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I have around 20 different Harley Davidson logos but they are all raised carvings. I would like to make a Memorial Plaque Lithopane for a friend of mine who was killed while on his way to a Vietnam Veteran Memorial Biker Run on 11-12-11. I want to use the 90° tool for the lettering and the Harley Logo and the regular carving bit for the face in the plaque. Would anyone out there by chance have the Harley logo in a vector (I think that is what you would call it) format using the 90° tool that would be willing to share it with me. Thanks in advance if you do.

AskBud
11-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I have around 20 different Harley Davidson logos but they are all raised carvings. I would like to make a Memorial Plaque Lithopane for a friend of mine who was killed while on his way to a Vietnam Veteran Memorial Biker Run on 11-12-11. I want to use the 90° tool for the lettering and the Harley Logo and the regular carving bit for the face in the plaque. Would anyone out there by chance have the Harley logo in a vector (I think that is what you would call it) format using the 90° tool that would be willing to share it with me. Thanks in advance if you do.I do not carve Litho, but I would be leery of using the centerling text on that hard of a surface!
AskBud

bjbethke
11-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I have around 20 different Harley Davidson logos but they are all raised carvings. I would like to make a Memorial Plaque Lithopane for a friend of mine who was killed while on his way to a Vietnam Veteran Memorial Biker Run on 11-12-11. I want to use the 90° tool for the lettering and the Harley Logo and the regular carving bit for the face in the plaque. Would anyone out there by chance have the Harley logo in a vector (I think that is what you would call it) format using the 90° tool that would be willing to share it with me. Thanks in advance if you do.

I made a DXF file and a AI version 8 file the MPC is too large to post as a ai2mpc file. If you have the CW DXF program this should work

jpaluck
11-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Jerry go to brands of the world they have several harley logo's in vertor format

CarverJerry
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
After reading Buds comment now I have that question, has anyone ever cut centerline text in cast acrylic or corian material? I'm wanting to use a 60° tool for my lettering. Any comments on this?

bjbethke
11-28-2011, 11:59 AM
After reading Buds comment now I have that question, has anyone ever cut centerline text in cast acrylic or corian material? I'm wanting to use a 60° tool for my lettering. Any comments on this?

Most standard CNC units use the "V" bits, and they are used to cut all kinds of stuff.

lynnfrwd
11-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Checking...

AskBud
11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
While we are waiting, here are the words from the manual:
I made the selected section BOLD.
AskBud

Plastic

Suitable carving plastics include polycarbonate (Lexan), cast acrylic (sign
makers plastic), and Corian (acrylic base). Most other plastics such as
Nylon, ABS, and extruded acrylic (Plexiglas) tend to melt and gum up
because the melting point of the material is lower than the temperature
generated at the bit tip when carving. The great thing about cast acrylic
and Corian is that they come in many different colors and opacities.
Note that the machine is always expecting soft material like wood as the
carving medium and will automatically set the speed and feed rates based
on this expectation. Therefore it is very important to keep any carving in
plastic to less than 1/8” deep. Deeper carving will put excessive load on
the machine by trying to push a bit through this hard material and can
cause damage.
The only bit currently approved for plastic is the tapered carving bit. This
means that some functions will not be available when using hard plastic.
Do NOT use any machine function that employs a bit other than the
tapered carving bit when using plastics. For example do not use
decorative bits or the cutout function on plastics.
Also remember to clean the machine very thoroughly when using plastics.
The “dust’ and chips produced can damage drive components and belts.

lynnfrwd
11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
We cannot guarantee that it will work. That could be quite a load to put on it.

LittleRedWoodshop
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes I have done this with the 90 degree bit with the depth set to .125.

AskBud
11-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes I have done this with the 90 degree bit with the depth set to .125.Please tell us exactly how you set the depth to .125, while applying Centerline Text!
AskBud

dbfletcher
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I have done similar things, but not in acrylic. The principles still apply tho. I started by using a single stroke font (https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=single+stroke+font), then using Illustrator (coreldraw, inkscape, etc), exported the text as a vector path (either dxf or .ai). You can then use ai2mpc or the dxf importer if yo have it to import the "text stoke path" now. And finally, just select you bit and the depth that you want. So, not really "center line text"... as we typically talk about it, but in reality is really is centerline text.

bjbethke
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
You could use a HD Logo font and center carve it, Depends how big you want the image. A 10 inch image is about .07 to .27 inch deep.

Gary Koval
11-29-2011, 10:35 AM
494244942549426CJ,
Is this the type of thing your trying to do (see pics)? I use the 60 degree bit all the time in my Corian without problems, or am I missing something? Knock on wood,(so to speak), never had a problem to this point
Gary

LittleRedWoodshop
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
To clarify, I misspoke ... it is done as an outline. With the outline text setting you can set the depth. I have also done test cuts in wood using centerline to adjust the size of the letter in turn adjusting the depth.

I was looking for the larger pic but on this lithopane the test is centerline ...

CarverJerry
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the come backs on this topic. I will put all this together and see what I can come up with. This is a great forum.....

dcalvin4
12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
this was a free pattern from one of our members that I dnloaded just right click on the [spline] and you can choose your bit and depth
enjoy
denny

CarverJerry
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok, I want to thank everyone for all the input and files you sent. After talking to several of my buddy's friends, we came up with a down and dirty simple plaque, reason being he was just a simple guy, so we just stayed simple with the carving. This is what we came up with, I'm going to paint it up with the Harley colors and do the lettering of the plaque in black. Thanks again

easybuilt
12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Nice carving CarverJerry. Wonderful way to celebrate your friends life.