PDA

View Full Version : Editable patterns

bergerud
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Is there a way to share .ptn files without the restriction that only the creator can edit them? Do we have to share as .png or is there a way inside of the Carvewright software. I am thinking how to share basic mathematical surfaces and geometric shapes. I would be much more useful to the end user if the patterns were editable in the pattern editor.

Maybe this is one for the wish list. When one saves a pattern in the pattern editor, it would be nice if one had the choice to make the pattern pubic. That is, so that anyone who added the pattern to their favorites could edit it as if they had created it.

fwharris
11-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Share the MPW file....

bergerud
11-27-2011, 12:03 PM
I wondered about that but I did not find one to play with. If I save as a .mpw then others can save as their own .ptn? Is that right?

fwharris
11-27-2011, 12:12 PM
correct.. mpw gives them the capability to edit and save as their pattern

Kenm810
11-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Just a test MPW File to play around with http://www.mediafire.com/?2buhr2htdrl4o

Let me know if you can manipulate or edit the file

gregsolano
11-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Unless you don't have pattern editor then you cant do anything with the mpw at all.

bergerud
11-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes, the mpw artwork file is editable. So I guess that sort of answers my original question. The mpw format, however, is only for people with the pattern editor. It would still be nice if pattern files could be saved public. If I wanted to share a collection of geometric shapes, I could put many into one mpc. People without the pattern editor could use them and people with the pattern editor could edit them. As it is now, I think I would have to have png files for each shape so that both types of people could use them.

bjbethke
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes, the mpw artwork file is editable. So I guess that sort of answers my original question. The mpw format, however, is only for people with the pattern editor. It would still be nice if pattern files could be saved public. If I wanted to share a collection of geometric shapes, I could put many into one mpc. People without the pattern editor could use them and people with the pattern editor could edit them. As it is now, I think I would have to have png files for each shape so that both types of people could use them.

You can do that with the Grayscale image in a PNG format. I save the image in a + and - format. You can load them into the CW Designer with out the Pattern Editor. I don't think the Grayscale image has a license code tied to it like the PTN file.

bergerud
11-27-2011, 05:12 PM
That is what I was saying: the png seems to be the only "works for everyone" option. I wonder what the ratio of people is with to without the pattern editor?

I was always amazed that Designer did not come with a library of geometric shapes. The domes are not that useful. There should have been half cylinders, cones, hemispheres, pyramids, and so on. I started a collection for myself but could never see a good way to make them of much use to others.

mtylerfl
11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
That is what I was saying: the png seems to be the only "works for everyone" option. I wonder what the ratio of people is with to without the pattern editor?

I was always amazed that Designer did not come with a library of geometric shapes. The domes are not that useful. There should have been half cylinders, cones, hemispheres, pyramids, and so on. I started a collection for myself but could never see a good way to make them of much use to others.

Hello,

Try to save in a 16-bit greyscale format to prevent visible "stepping" that often occurs with 8-bit greyscale. Most photo editing programs can save a *.bmp as 16-bit, but many don't save as 16-bit *.png filetype for some reason. A 16-bit bmp is just as good as a 16-bit png file, and better than a 8-bit png, of course. The main (only) advantage of a png over a bmp file (for our purposes) is that a solid color background of a png can be made transparent, if desired, without the need for manual masking/editing which could possibly be required for certain bmp files.

bergerud
11-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I just realized that mpw is not a valid file type on the forum. What is with that? No wonder I could not find one to play with.

In my experiments saving different file types from the Pattern Editor, the mpw and ptn are much better than png. Does the Pattern Editor save 16 bit png? It sure does not seem so. Surfaces that are smooth in mpw and ptn turn out stepped in png.

I need someone to test the file below. It is actually a .mpw file but with the extension is changed to .ptn. My pattern editor opens it even though the extension is wrong. This may be the file type I was hoping for. If it can be opened and edited by others, it would be great. Try opening and editing as is first. If that fails, rename to .mpw and try again.

Kenm810
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Quote: (mpw is not a valid file type on the forum) --That's why I posted it as I did -- http://www.mediafire.com/?2buhr2htdrl4o (http://www.mediafire.com/?2buhr2htdrl4o)
So it could be Down Loaded, Copied, Opened, in CW Designer and experimented or played with.

bergerud
11-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Ok Ken, I just did my own test with your star file. I changed the extension from .mpw to .ptn and opened it with the Pattern editor. I was able to edit it, save it, and use it as if it was my own .ptn file. It seems that the formats are very similar. The only difference may be the protection.

Very interesting. Create a .mpw file in the pattern editor, change the extension to .ptn and upload to the forum. The result is a pattern that is editable by all who have the pattern editor. Maybe some of you can confirm this by editing the .ptn file (which is really a .mpw file) in my previous post.

fwharris
11-28-2011, 12:41 AM
It worked.. was able to bring it into the editor.. cool discovery!!

lawrence
11-28-2011, 07:06 AM
you can also zip a mpw and attach it--

Lawrence

Capt Bruce
11-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I really do learn something new here everyday. Another useful class at CW U. Many thanks

bergerud
11-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, it does not work to import patterns directly into the Designer pattern list. The protection is checked. So, still, two formats are required for those with and without the Pattern editor.

So I guess it is just a trick which could be used to overcome the fact that the .mpw is not a valid forum file type. Just as well zip both together as Lawrence suggests. It would be nice if .mpw was a valid type and that it import directly into Designer. I do not know if there are business reasons for these things being the way they are or if they just are and could be changed.

Ike
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
This is off subject, but the first time I saw the topic editable patterns. I though edible patterns? Why would somebody want to eat a pattern! Anyway thought I would share my story!

Ike