PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Fed Up! Not working well with MAC LION OS - FIXED in V. 1.182

Schramm
11-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Well I hate to dog a product but the Carvewright "Compucarve" or whatever has real big issues with Mac! Design is my main business, I design mirrors so I only have MAC in my house. I have called Carvewright and they walked me 3 weeks ago through setting it up but the damn thing still runs in DEMO mode and no matter how many times I call them the result is the same. Then I buy designs from the Carvewright library and low and behold they come to be with out a license so each time I try to save the file to cut it, it says the design is NOT LICENSED! By now Carvewright should have fixes for these issues but no one to this point has helped me where I can use it without issues.
The machine itself when it is working seems to do a great job but God knows it takes about 10 attempts at cleaning and re-greasing the unit before the damn thing will turn on and work. This week I had to hire out to a cabinet company 3 simple carve jobs because I couldnt get the machine to start up and the designs THAT I PAID FOR would not allow me to save them.
Honestly I would not recommend this unit to anyone that owns a mac as many people have now told me the software does not work well with mac.

Does anyone know how to get these issues fixed? If not I guess I will sell it on ebay and allow this issue to become someone elses issue! Any advise would be helpful, I will be calling carvewright for my $60 in art that I bought on the carvewright site since I cannot get it to work.

Rob

mtylerfl
11-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Hello Rob,

Well, that's quite a posting! Anyway, I know that one of our Forum Moderators uses a Mac and runs his CarveWright just fine. I do not know what OS he is using or any details (I'm a die-hard PC/ Windows user and loving it). Maybe he will chime in after a cool-down period. I really do hope you will be able to enjoy your machine in the very near future.

mtylerfl
11-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Rob,

I forgot to ask...you DID go through the licensing process after you purchased your patterns, right? If not, start Designer, then go to Help/Manage Licenses to activate your pattern licenses and you're good to go.

Ike
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Rob I had the same problem with windows and had to call. I bet if I check my work computer I will need to do it again. It seems like for me that is if some time passes this happens. Strange? I always seem to have issues with patterns maybe because I buy only a few? I go to the private sites you get better deals and no problems!

Hang in there, at this time of year you can pick up laptops for under $300.00 with windows and use it just for your machine. I have 2 laptops one is just for my machine and sign business. You said, you have a mirror business. So call it a write off!

Oh I wanted to say I read your first post and with the size of the letters when I read other post wow they were small!

Ike

Schramm
11-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Believe it or not I didnt post until I did cool down. I have spent actual time with Carvewright on the phone more then 1 time. I bought the unit used with like 14 hours on the machine and I had Carvewright help me with the licensing as I had letters of transfer from the original owner who I bought this from. I do understand the questions that you are asking but I have already went through this with Carvewright and the guy said that there was a number of issues with mac. Now when I am searching the Carvewright site I see NOTHING that states buy our machine UNLESS YOU HAVE A MAC! I fully understand that mac has less software and the software that they have cost way more then PC but if the machines software is NOT compatible for use with a MAC then it should be on the site to keep from people having issues if they are mac owners. Because the software cannot work above DEMO mode anything that I buy software wise from the Carvewright site is UNUSABLE which once again IS NOT EXPLAINED on the Carvewright site. I own the machine, the machine is in my name and the software is licensed to me yet i am unable to use it above DEMO so hopefully that answered your question. I am a fair minded and very easy going guy but nothing erks me off more then having my money waisted buy buying a machine based on good faith that it is of quality and works with my computer especially when no where on the site does it say it will not. Basically I like the machine when it is working but I want it to be able to be used for its full function and not what it can do in demo. What I dont understand is I do not have a clue why such a good company who knows it has an issue with the software for mac would not want to make all their customers happy.
I think what Carvewright doesnt seem to get is that by fixing these issues or helping me and making me happy would of sold a ton of designs, I would of bought all the upgrades and much more but from my calls into them dont seem to care about me as a customer. I will have to now sell it on ebay only to a PC owner as I will not tell another Mac user to buy something that I know is not true.
Thanks
Rob

fwharris
11-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Not familiar with MAC but have you tried running designer as administrator? If it is DEMO mode then any thing you install (patterns) will not be activated....

Schramm
11-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Ike,
Thanks for being honest about this issue. I own 2 pc laptops but I do not use them as PC's to me SUCK! My Macs are lightning fast, no pop ups and have never failed me. I have over 7k worth of design software on it bought especially for Mac. Because of this I carry my Mac laptop with me everywhere including my shop so I can design and do things on the fly. My issue with this is, is the people at Carvewright to their customers to help them out. If they know that there is issues with the carvewright and mac's then it should be on their site or after 5 years of selling this machine to UNKNOWING Mac users they should have the issue fixed.
I am far from an electronic retard as I own plotters for vinyl, polishing and beveling machines, CNC glass cutters, waterjets for glass, v-grooving machines for glass and they all run just fine on Mac. I own the largest antique mirror glass company that I know of in the USA so I actually wanted to use the Carvewright machine to make frames to show off my work in my distributors showrooms. My plans were to buy 3 more of these and be cutting many pieces at one time but Carvewrights inability to help me has lost them 1000's of dollars in sales! They either do not care or just cannot figure out there issues and that will always be an issue for them. I have read that PC users also have some of the same issues. I honestly do not have time to stop what I am doing and call Carvewright over and over again and I do not have to do that with any of my other machines as they have there stuff together and have good answers for me the first time. I have made 2 calls to Carvewright with the same answer, which was the machine may have to be used in DEMO.

ROB

Ike
11-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Ike,
Thanks for being honest about this issue. I own 2 pc laptops but I do not use them as PC's to me SUCK! My Macs are lightning fast, no pop ups and have never failed me. I have over 7k worth of design software on it bought especially for Mac. Because of this I carry my Mac laptop with me everywhere including my shop so I can design and do things on the fly. My issue with this is, is the people at Carvewright to their customers to help them out. If they know that there is issues with the carvewright and mac's then it should be on their site or after 5 years of selling this machine to UNKNOWING Mac users they should have the issue fixed.
I am far from an electronic retard as I own plotters for vinyl, polishing and beveling machines, CNC glass cutters, waterjets for glass, v-grooving machines for glass and they all run just fine on Mac. I own the largest antique mirror glass company that I know of in the USA so I actually wanted to use the Carvewright machine to make frames to show off my work in my distributors showrooms. My plans were to buy 3 more of these and be cutting many pieces at one time but Carvewrights inability to help me has lost them 1000's of dollars in sales! They either do not care or just cannot figure out there issues and that will always be an issue for them. I have read that PC users also have some of the same issues. I honestly do not have time to stop what I am doing and call Carvewright over and over again and I do not have to do that with any of my other machines as they have there stuff together and have good answers for me the first time. I have made 2 calls to Carvewright with the same answer, which was the machine may have to be used in DEMO.

ROB

Rob I am so sorry you are having these problems and I agree it is a hassle. I am not knocking Macs and I have heard they are so much better then PC! The problem is I can't afford a Mac! I am chopping at the bit with the $999.00 sale and not having the money to buy another CW! I have 2 and one part machine, I sold a brand new 4896 Shopbot over 4 years ago, never used because of the CW and the easy software. I still have a 2514 K2 CNC brand new 4 years ago never used because of the CW.

I have had my issues and have been kicked off the forum for expressing my issues! So I wish I knew why this keeps happening to you, I would like to think LHR will fix this for you. Maybe you need to ask for a supervisor?

Anyway good luck with whatever you do.

Ike

SteveEJ
11-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't know if you tried this and I know only enough to be dangerous. Here goes:
I friend at work has some issues on his Mac with certain software. He got a Windows emulator and runs his software in it in order to get the job done. He said it is very fast and he can run it the same time he is running Mac software. You might consider looking into that until LHR solves the issues. Could e a win/win for now!

lynnfrwd
11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Seems to be a Mac issue with the new operating system...lion? Others work fine on Mac. Make sure u r using run as administrator!! Some have installed on lion os with no problem. Others have and we have not figured out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schramm
11-27-2011, 08:39 AM
lynnfrwd,

That would make sense since it is a new operating system however only my MacBook Air runs on it, my desktop does not and there is no difference with it. Sounds to me like I just need to sell the Carvewright as I would not trade the best computer system in the world that I use 10 hours a day for something I would use for on average 10 hours a week. While Mac is not for everyone in my business you cannot live without it. I know Mac is not for everyone and the cost is much more, but if you you try one once pc's would be a thing of the past. My wife loves PC but when I look something up on it I get so mad with the way it works I want to just give it a toss. But in all fairness I feel the same way with my Mac when trying to do anything with Carvewright. But then again that is not Mac's fault.
Rob

lynnfrwd
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Have you uninstalled the program completely then reinstalled using the Mac installation instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCW
11-27-2011, 01:31 PM
LOL... Steve Jobs and Wasniak was a pretty successful though. Just saying

I think selling the carvewright is possibly your best alternative. As you commented, it's not for everyone!!

While I don't want to get into a Pi**ing contest about which computer is the best, I will just say this. I owned a computer business when Steve Jobs and Wasniak were still smoking pot in the back of their van just before they sold it so they could make PC boards in the garage. I used a mac in college simply because that was all they had. I certainly wouldn't buy one. After all, they ARE not for everyone.

TerryT
11-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Yep, they were and the company still is.

gapdev
11-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Come on people. I've complained about this problem several times.

Lets not start a pissing contest about what is better, Mac or PC. Knock it off.
-----------------------------
To Connie - this should not be that hard to fix. It's a permissions issue. On Lion, these two preference files are not getting updated - the software is being denied access. Perhaps these files should be moved out of the system Library folder and into the User's Library folder?

/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Board Editor.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Pattern Editor.plist

Registration info is stored in one or both of those files.
-----------------------------
To Rob,

If you are running Lion, then I can tell you how to temporarily "fix" the problem so that you can register your software (get it out of Demo mode) and License all of your patterns and projects, BUT you have to be familiar with the Terminal Program and know how to either copy/paste or type in a command that will allow you to run the Carvewright software as root.

You also have to be careful what you do while running the software as root because you can mess up the permissions on your own files.

If you are not running Lion then I'm at a loss because I had no problem with the software on either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Kenny

Digitalwoodshop
11-27-2011, 02:43 PM
There is a simple concept that is the root of the Purchased Pattern PROBLEM....

If I understand it correct you are trying to license a pattern to a DEMO Version of Designer.... That is the Root of the problem...

You must first solve the Registration Issues with the Mac THEN move forward and do the Licensing Process for each pattern.

And remember you bought a Hobby Grade CNC machine that does have limitations. Many like myself work within the limitations.

Before you start making Picture Frame Rails with the Machine you had better read the Tips and Tricks and fully understand the 7 inch rule of wood, Staying under the Rollers OR Not staying under the Rollers. And pay special attention to SLEDS and CARRIER Boards as it will be more cost effective to cut 4 Rails at a time rather than a thin single 8 footer.... And be sure you understand how designing a 4 inch dead area into the Sled to keep that end under the Rollers will make life simpler....

Get the USER problem solved and Read Tips and Tricks.... That will prevent posts like the art came out 1/2 size like it was "Scaled" and I can't lower the head of the machine, it just clicks.... We call them "Pilot Errors".... Flying before reading the Manual or Tips and Tricks.... WE all started out the same and had the same questions as new users and WE wrote Tips and Tricks as a Quick Start Guide for guys like you who have a Vision for the machine and want to make sawdust....

WELCOME and Good Luck,

AL Who - My phone number and email is on the bottom of my web page listed below. I can't help with Mac issues but with Machine Operation and Repair, I am only a phone call away... With over 6000 posts, I am good at Guessing.... LOL...

pkunk
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Rob, if you'd settle down for a day or two and listen to the members here you will get it to work. I am one of the origonal Beta testers of the machine & the origonal Mac software tester. I has worked just fine for me since the first few weeks of bugs were worked out. LHR even had to buy a Mac to get the software working for us. I haven't moved to Lion yet because of other issues, but if you have a Mac with a licensed version of Designer installed that is running 10.5 or 10.6, call LHR and they will help you get it going. The machine will do what you want, just have the patience to get it going.

Jeff_Birt
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
As a point of comparison...

I just upgraded this laptop to Windows 7-64 so I'm going through the process of deciding what programs I really want to have installed on it. This evening I needed to reinstall a printed circuit board CAD/CAM program that has versions for PC and MAC. During the installation the program was asking me for a code number and I was not sure where to find it so I had to look on their forum for help. When searching for 'installation problems' I found several posts describing problems installing it on the new MAC Lion OS which sounded very similar to the problems the OP of this thread is facing. This particular software package costs about as much for a single license as the whole CarveWright machine.

The point is that when an operating system is changed it can have all sorts of affects on software packages. The folks writing the software likely will not know until the OS is released if there will be a problem or not. This means that it will take some time for some software packages to be updated to work with a new OS.

As some of you folks might know I work for a university and we have a good mix of PCs and MACs. History has shown that an update to either OS will produce some problem, somewhere. Neither OS is better/worse in this regard. In fact I can remember one update Apple released that broke Active Directory integration so bad that many MAC users on campus could not even log into their computers after the update was installed. No matter is your a MAC or PC it is important to know that both systems have problems now and then.

edbisme
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Keep what you have but get a laptop with windows just for the Carvewright.
Eddie

mtylerfl
11-28-2011, 08:09 AM
... I own 2 pc laptops but I do not use them as PC's to me SUCK!...ROB

Rob,

Why not go ahead and install Designer on one of your two PC laptops so that you can use and enjoy your CarveWright immediately while you work out the problems you are having with your Mac? At least you won't have any down-time and can get some holiday projects accomplished.

gapdev
11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Here is the deal with OS X Lion and the Carvewright software:

Whatever was licensed before updating to Lion remains licensed. Whatever you attempt to license after updating to Lion will only stay licensed while the program is running. As soon as you quit the Carvewright program, any software, projects, or patterns you tried to license will no longer be licensed and you will have to re-license them the next time you run the software.

This is because these two files are owned by root:

and the software cannot write to them. Since the License info is stored in one or both of those files, whatever you license will only stay licensed while the software is running.

Other effects of not being able to update those two files is Recent Projects and Preferences. Since the software cannot write to those two files, it cannot remember your preferences and the last project you had opened.

LHR can duplicate this very easily under Lion. Simply change a preference, quit the software, and then go back in. Your preference change will be the way it was before you tried to change it. Or, License a Pattern or Project. Quit the software and go back in. The Pattern or Project will no longer be licensed.

Kenny

liquidguitars
11-28-2011, 04:52 PM

What happens if you just delete them all ? Designer would build a new plist that hopefully would have new access. I seen a bug on the PC version that needed this fix to run.

gapdev
11-28-2011, 05:26 PM
What happens if you just delete them all ? Designer would build a new plist that hopefully would have new access.

If you move those two files out of the /Library folder, the software then runs in Demo mode, and it is unable to create new plist files so you remain in Demo mode even if you register the software, import your License file, etc - as per the OP's original message, he can't get the software out of Demo mode.

When I moved the files back in to the /Library folder, I had to authenticate and this is the problem. I believe those two files need to go into the Users Library folder ~/Library/Preferences, and that is probably where they should have been placed to begin with.

Kenny

liquidguitars
11-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Sounds good as a test I would search to make sure no duplicates where hiding on the drive and delete all of them, this could give designer a chance to create new plist files that where OS friendly, I would also check my favorites files and possibly delete them two this could give you a vanilla GUI...

Corvus Instruments
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I agree with Kenny's diagnosis of the problem. It's a very easy fix for LHR to move those preference files out of the /Library directory to the User/Library directory where they should have been kept all along.

I've seen Kenny's work-around posted in another thread. I also have a work-around which avoids having to use the Terminal and it's requisite knowledge of Unix commands.

I've used the Finder and navigated to /Library/Preferences then used the File>Get Info menu command. In the Get Info window go to the bottom and click on the lock; enter your login password to get access to the permissions for the Preferences directory. I changed "everyone" to "read & write" permission. My Designer app has worked fine since then and remembered all my licence and preference settings.

This is certainly not a desirable work-around from a security perspective. Hopefully LHR will release a proper update to the Mac version of Designer to address this issue.

Leo

gapdev
12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Leo,

That works great. But, like you said, it is a security risk.

LHR shouldn't be IN that directory to begin with. Hopefully they will fix the problem instead of forcing us to use work-a-rounds.

Thanks,

Kenny

Corvus Instruments
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Has there been any progress on this issue?

I've installed the latest version of Designer: 1.182 and I ran into this same problem when I purchased the DXF importer.

The DXF importer reverts to demo mode every time I restart Designer.

I had to go into the Library/Preferences directory and manually change the permissions for the two Designer preferences files previously mentioned in this thread.

Again this opens up a security vulnerability and is a very undesirable work-around for this problem.

I really hope LHR will implement the solution suggested already by Kenny: there should be no Designer preferences files in the /Library directory, they belong in the Users/(username)/Library/Preferences directory instead.

gapdev
03-14-2012, 11:10 AM
This was fixed a couple of releases ago.

I think you need to delete the LHR/Carvewright files in the /Library/Preferences folder, then run Designer and it will recreate the files in the User's Library folder. You'll loose your Toolbar layout and what little preferences there are, and you'll need to re-license your Patterns, Software, Projects, etc but that is a simple process. After that, all should be good.

Kenny

lynnfrwd
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
From what I understand, if you are installing from the new version 1.182 for the first time, the files will go only under USER/. If you have already installed it using an older version, where it put it in the other directory first, then you must remove it first from the other directory. Re-installing with these files removed will put it only in the USER/ directory.

Call customer service and speak with a software technician. They can assist you in doing this over the phone, MUCH better than I can try to explain it here.

liquidguitars
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I guessing that in the Mac universe two points in space can't occupy the same location at the same time... i.e your pattern and license file locations due to mutable installs.
seems like Mac OS your been told what to do and who you can do it with right or wrong :)

Corvus Instruments
03-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Great, thanks for the replies all :)

For the record the fix was easier than deleting the files and re-entering the license codes. I simply moved these four files from the root-level Library directory:

/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.BoardEditor.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.BoardEditor.plist.lockfile
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.PatternEditor.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.PatternEditor.plist.lockfile

into my user Library:

/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Board Editor.plist
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Board Editor.plist.lockfile
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Pattern Editor.plist
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Pattern Editor.plist.lockfile

Designer worked immediately with no need to re-enter the licence codes. I then set the permissions on the /Library/Preferences back to their default settings.

liquidguitars
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
For the record the fix was easier than deleting the files and re-entering the license codes. I simply moved these four files from the root-level Library directory:

I am glad you fixed your issues by deleting the old files using the move command.

Corvus Instruments
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I am glad you fixed your issues by deleting the old files using the move command.

To my knowledge moving files in the Unix file system on which Mac OS X is based does not imply deletion. It just moves their location index number from one part of the location index table to another.

So in this case the reference to each file has moved from the /Library/Preferences position in the directory to the /Users/(me)/Library/Preferences position. The files themselves are in the same physical location on the drive and have been neither moved nor copied nor deleted.

liquidguitars
03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Wow good work on that!

Jeff_Birt
03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
To my knowledge moving files in the Unix file system on which Mac OS X is based does not imply deletion. It just moves their location index number from one part of the location index table to another.

So in this case the reference to each file has moved from the /Library/Preferences position in the directory to the /Users/(me)/Library/Preferences position. The files themselves are in the same physical location on the drive and have been neither moved nor copied nor deleted.

The physical location of a file on a Hard Drive is unimportant (except for a few locations where the OS looks for the files it needs to boot from). The directories/folders we use is an entirely logical arrangement not a physical arrangement on the HD.

Ton80
03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Great, thanks for the replies all :)

/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.BoardEditor.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.BoardEditor.plist.lockfile
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.PatternEditor.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.LHRTechnologies.PatternEditor.plist.lockfile

into my user Library:

/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Board Editor.plist
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Board Editor.plist.lockfile
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Pattern Editor.plist
/Users/leocp/Library/Preferences/com.LHR Technologies.Pattern Editor.plist.lockfile

Designer worked immediately with no need to re-enter the licence codes. I then set the permissions on the /Library/Preferences back to their default settings.

Using this post as a guideline, this is the fix for updating a Mac to Lion and having the Carvewright software work properly? With the upcoming release of the new Mac OS this summer, I want to update to Lion ( finally ). I'm not real good with the inner workings of computers but this sounds like a very simple fix if that is all there is to it..

Corvus Instruments
03-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd recommend trying that fix before you upgrade your OS to Lion.

The latest version of Designer should still be able to see those files in your User/Library/Preferences directory and read your licence codes.

If you successfully move the files and Designer still works properly, then it should still work when you upgrade the OS to Lion.

Ton80
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd recommend trying that fix before you upgrade your OS to Lion.

The latest version of Designer should still be able to see those files in your User/Library/Preferences directory and read your licence codes.

If you successfully move the files and Designer still works properly, then it should still work when you upgrade the OS to Lion.

I updated to the latest version of Designer and moved the files you mentioned and it seems to be working fine. I was NOT able to find the two files that ended with ".lockfile" however. Should they exist on my mac?