PDA

View Full Version : bit depth does not match?

brewmeister35
11-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Need some help please. I'm carving a sign and after switching to the 1/8" cutting bit, the display says "bit depth does not match". Can someone point me in a direction? I'm not real familiar with this machine yet.

Thanks

David

northey87
11-25-2011, 07:05 PM
What it is telling you is that the bit you inserted does not match the premeasured depth. Basically when you setup a project in the machine, it will have you insert all the bits that project will use one at a time, then it measure the depth of the bit by scrolling all the way to the far side of the machine and and lowers the bit on to the metal plate (bit plate). If the bit inserted the second time does not match the same depth that it measure the first time it will give you that error message. this becomes a problem if you do not use the plastic rings on the decorative bits and do not set the insert the bit to the same depth as previously measured. I have never had this error using the cutting or carving bits, mainly I becuase I insert them as far as they will go into the chuck.

As to solve your current problem, if your cutting bit was not inserted all the way on the premeasure, you will need to move the bit up or down in the chuck to get it where you had it before. Just out of curiousity, what are you cutting i.e. material, thickness, length of cut?

brewmeister35
11-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm cutting a 10x14 oval out of 3/4" Aspen. The guy at my lumbermill gave me the board to see if I liked how it carved. When I first loaded this project, I had the 1/8" cutting bit in already from the last carve. Should I have removed and re-inserted it? What do I do now? Can I Load another project over the same board that's the oval cut path so it cuts the sign out? Or is there any way to re-cal the machine with the 1/8 bit in it?

Ike
11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Need some help please. I'm carving a sign and after switching to the 1/8" cutting bit, the display says "bit depth does not match". Can someone point me in a direction? I'm not real familiar with this machine yet.

Thanks

David

David are you using a Quick Chuck or a Carvetight? If a QC you have a bit slipping that needs to be checked or make sure it is properly inserted in the chuck. If the CT or a Rock a bit stop is a good thing or the rubber rings you can get from LHR. Problem with the rubber rings is they slip. I use regular drill bit stops and when you do the start of a project make sure the stop is inserted until it meets the bottom of the chuck. The rubber rings however slip and will cause an bit depth does not match error.

Anyway to avoid restarting the project choose continue as long as you have the correct bit. You can first reinsert the bit making sure it is properly seated, but hitting continue will still work.

Ike

Ike
11-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm cutting a 10x14 oval out of 3/4" Aspen. The guy at my lumbermill gave me the board to see if I liked how it carved. When I first loaded this project, I had the 1/8" cutting bit in already from the last carve. Should I have removed and re-inserted it? What do I do now? Can I Load another project over the same board that's the oval cut path so it cuts the sign out? Or is there any way to re-cal the machine with the 1/8 bit in it?

If you stopped the project go back into designer and remove the font carving and leave the oval cut out. Then load the sign in the same way it came out with top of letters against the fence side (keypad side) and restart. If it happens again just hit continue, but don't put another board over your sign. If you deleted your mpc, then in designer enter the same size of the original board and make the oval again and then load the board with the carved lettering and have the CW cut the oval.

Ike

northey87
11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
So, it sounds like the first bit it asked for was the 1/8"cutting bit, so it preceded to measure everything including the bit depth and then asked you to insert the next bit (I am assuming it asked for the carving bit). Then when it asked you for the cutting again it had to double check the bit depth and found it to be different, hence the error message.

I am assuming you are using a machine with the CarveTight system or a Rock Chuck, and not a machine with a Quick Chuck. If this is correct, you will need to loosen the chuck and adjust the bit moving it in or out of the chuck a liitle bit at a time until the machine registers that the bit is set at the same depth it was premeasured at. Each time you adjust the bit you will need to let the machine check the depth, if it comes back with the error message, you will need to tell the machine to "re-find" and adjust the bit again until you get it right.

To avoid this error one the cutting bits or carving bits, you need to insert them as far as they will go into the chuck so they are always consistantly in the same place.

If you are using a Quick Chuck then the bit adaptor may be at fault.

brewmeister35
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys! Project #2 is now complete. :) I'll post a pic in a few. It's the original chuck that came with the machine. My dad bought this machine years back and used it twice and gave up on it. I have it now and trying to put it to good use.

Ike
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
So, it sounds like the first bit it asked for was the 1/8"cutting bit, so it preceded to measure everything including the bit depth and then asked you to insert the next bit (I am assuming it asked for the carving bit). Then when it asked you for the cutting again it had to double check the bit depth and found it to be different, hence the error message.

I am assuming you are using a machine with the CarveTight system or a Rock Chuck, and not a machine with a Quick Chuck. If this is correct, you will need to loosen the chuck and adjust the bit moving it in or out of the chuck a liitle bit at a time until the machine registers that the bit is set at the same depth it was premeasured at. Each time you adjust the bit you will need to let the machine check the depth, if it comes back with the error message, you will need to tell the machine to "re-find" and adjust the bit again until you get it right.

To avoid this error one the cutting bits or carving bits, you need to insert them as far as they will go into the chuck so they are always consistantly in the same place.

If you are using a Quick Chuck then the bit adaptor may be at fault.

Problem with a continual checking is unless you guess correctly you will be there all day! We have all had this issue and choosing the option to continue will work! Some members will load one bit for a 3 bit carve and use that first bit for all 3 bits to be checked. Then when they load the correct bit the bit does not match message appears and they hit continue. I not saying to do this, but allowing it to continue under normal operation won't hurt anything.

Ike

Ike
11-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys! Project #2 is now complete. :) I'll post a pic in a few. It's the original chuck that came with the machine. My dad bought this machine years back and used it twice and gave up on it. I have it now and trying to put it to good use.

So the original chuck is the quick release? Do you have a couple of each bits? Because with the adapters each bit is installed different. Any if you accidentally load the carving bit instead of the cutting bit then it will tell you wrong bit. If you loaded the correct bit and know it is the same bit then it is a safety feature to let you know the bit was not insert correctly or slipped. With a CT or Rock without a stop you can very easily insert it differently. But you insert the bit and hand tighten it in place so it is safe, just not in the same place when at the first of the project!

Make sure your allen screws are tight and use some locktight blue I think the locktight that is not forever one! I suggest you think about about replacing your chuck to a CT. A Rock is okay, but I am sorry, but I have had too many bits slip with the Rock! Anyway I am glad it came out well!

Ike

AskBud
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys! Project #2 is now complete. :) I'll post a pic in a few. It's the original chuck that came with the machine. My dad bought this machine years back and used it twice and gave up on it. I have it now and trying to put it to good use.Since we now know that you still have the Quick Change (QC) Chuck, and you have completed your project, we can offer some insight.

First, Care must be taken to insert each bit as requested (make sure that you confirm/know you have the correct bit), and that the adapter is properly seated in the QC on the first and second insertion.
If either placement is loose you will get the abort on the carving process (due to the variance in measurement). When you get the abort remove the bit and cross check to assure the correct bit and insert it anew. If it aborts a second time, it's up to you as to choosing to continue or to end the carve and restart your project.
You may go back to designer and delete the items which have already been carved (unless they are needed to accomplish a Conforming Vectors process, which has not been completed). Re-load your card and begin again.
AskBud

Ike
11-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks Bud for the back up! I hope I didn't make it seem like it is no big deal just to continue! It is and is not! With the QC like Bud said, the bit error is a safety feature. It means the wrong bit or the bit slipped or it is not inserted correctly to a bad chuck. And just saying continue is not good! So you did the correct thing. With the CT or Rock is a different story, but can also mean a slipped bit. But nine times out of ten it is not, but it only takes one!

I hope I haven't mislead you in anyway, thank you again Bud! I forget I have had a machine(s) for over 4 years and I have a set pattern during set up! I have a CT and a Rock and I insure the chuck is tight! Just because I have had bits slipped in my Rock way too many times! But if you get a CT and you checked the bit and know it is tight and no problems except saying can't find bit 1) reinsert 2) continue then hit continue I have never had a problem with the machine not adjusting the cut.

Ike

Capt Bruce
11-26-2011, 08:17 AM
And by the way Brewmeister35,
Welcome to the Forum. We're glad to have you with us and that you are getting some use out of your Dad's machine. Lots to learn just as we all did when Newbies to this craft and you have a tremendous source of collective wisdom among these helpful fellow Forumites. Welcome and ENJOY!

brewmeister35
11-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys. It's great having a resource to go to for help. I'm starting to get this.