PDA

View Full Version : cutting letters out of contact paper

Dan-Woodman
11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I we had control over the motor coming on or not , we could place a cutting blade ( like from the Cricut paper cutting machine) in the spindle head and have it follow a line drawing in designer for stick on letters or scrap-booking . We would also have to use a sticky matte like with the Cricut to hold the paper in place ,but this would be a really neat feature. I guess we could unplug the flex shaft and use it that ay.
Has anyone try anything like this?
later Daniel

ktjwilliams
11-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds interesting !! I think there's a lot of room for features on the machine.. Most things are just add ins to the software,,, But does the machine have enough memory or enough processing power to handle it, since it runs independent of a computer.. Hmmm,,, That could be another option, Running off UR laptop !!

Kenm810
11-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Interesting idea Daniel,

I bought Barb one of the those Cricut paper cutting machines a few years ago for Christmas,
She's bought several pattern cartridges since then for making cards and scrapbooking,
back then I thought to myself how similar the our carving machines it was ---
I'll have to spend some time taking a closer look at it after the Holidays.

Digitalwoodshop
11-25-2011, 07:53 PM
There is a 1/4 inch Bit that has a Vinyl Cutter on it that is sold for Shop Bot and the likes... But Honestly.. Using the CW to Cut Vinyl would have many issues as the CW is not really setup to hold the vinyl and will make a big mess.... The Rubber Rollers will roll OVER the Vinyl and could let the vinyl pick up and get rolled around the rubber roller. Big Mess...

This is the Shop Bot part number for the special bit to cut vinyl and then you need the holder... Vinyl Cutter (13102) Fits 1/4" Collet $149.00.....

I have a Vinyl Cutter and it is used very little in my shop yet it has paid for the machine a few times over.... Any Sign Forum will tell you that a Vinyl Cutter will pay for itself over and over.... I have looked at the Cricket but was better off with a Graphtec FC7000 as it has photo eyes on it that lets me print something in Corel Draw and add registration marks in Corel that the plotter can read... This lets you place the printed vinyl back into the Graphtec and once lined up with the registration marks cut stickers out of a sheet...

You can find a used Vinyl Cutter without the Photo Eyes cheap....

I don't have an effective way to print on Vinyl so that prevents me from using that to make money in my business... I am looking at a $20K small Flat Bed Printer that lets me print on Vinyl and a variety of stuff like Golf Balls and Knives.... It's a Small Table able to print on something 2 inches thick....

Honestly... I see the Cricket paying for itself.... Quickly.... Even a used one...

Skip the CW to Vinyl... Imagine that $149.00 bit Smashing into the Bit Plate.... My Vinyl Cutting Knives are like a pointed arrow and would not stand up to the bit plate...

AL

DickB
11-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I agree that there are too many issues with making this work in the CW to make it worthwhile. I own a Silhouette SD and speak from experience, The Silhouette is more like the CW than the Cricket in that you design on the PC. They are not very expensive.