PDA

View Full Version : check tracking roller

c_mjenkins
11-23-2011, 07:48 PM
i promised myself that i was going to solve this problem myself but now im thinking i better get some input. i have been getting a check tracking roller error every since my 2nd carve i went thru the trouble shooting guide and everything checks out good. so this time the board getting ready to carve was longer then the rest ive done and i noticed that when the board was tracking thru the machine during the measurment it was catching ever so often and making a clicking sound and this is also when the error occurs it seems like the sandpaper rollers are catching is this normal or is this where my problem is. thanks in advance for your input

DickB
11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I hate to say it, but it sounds like one of the x-axis gears is stripped. Unfortunately I am familiar with that sound.

c_mjenkins
11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
thats what it sounds like when u hear it. is there a fix for it

fwharris
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
thats what it sounds like when u hear it. is there a fix for it

Here are the replacement procedures.

To see the gears: Taken from the replace sandpaper belt procedure

2. Remove the base gear cover. Gently squeeze the base gear cover shown in
Figure 1and pull straight up to remove. The base gear cover has been caulked
around its edge with silicone to keep dust out. This caulking will pull away from the
base when the cover is removed.

X gear http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_x-drive_gear.pdf

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes, even I had to replace a X Gear too....

There are 3 ways to do it...

1. The new LHR way replacing the Plate with the Gears on it... Lots of Screws....

2. The way I first did it.... Remove the Bottom cover and pull the X Motor and on top pull the Gear.... The Bummer is that you must insert them at the same time, the gear and motor to let is mesh....

3. Then a brave user... NOT ME... Came up with the Wood Chisel or HOT Soldering Iron method...... If you go to remove the broken gear, there is a LIP of Plastic that prevents you from just pulling the gear off.... A Resourceful Guy took a Hammer, Chisel and a Hot Soldering Iron and CUT AWAY THE LIP.... This then lets you remove the C Clip on the Big Gear and Remove it... Then Remove the C Clip on the smaller BROKEN Gear.... And pop it off.... LOOK for the Broken TEETH.... They can be stuck in another gear tooth and later jam your NEW Gear and Snap it...

I use some Tape to keep dust from getting inside the Dust cover when it is re installed and the Cut Lip is open....

NO you need to look as to WHY you snapped the Gear.....

It is Designed to SNAP as a Safety Device.... A $8.00 Gear or what ever they cost.... Is much cheaper than a X Motor ($100.00 PLUS) or a X Driver in the Computer ($300.00 Plus)... SO it is a GOOD DESIGN....

As to WHY.... Most common is the Sand Paper Belt gets rolled under at the Keypad.... the Belt under the Muffler.... I make a habit of Cutting a 3/4 inch strip of sand paper belt from the Brass Roller area to keep and eye on that belt.... It works fine with the cut belt... The Belt gets stretched when you cut many 6 inch wide boards. The working area stretches and the un used area stays tight... It makes a TAPER and the belt moves toward the Brass Roller.... I had my very first Back Belt rolled under 3 months ago and IT snapped my X Gear...

The Right Side Sliding Plate needs to be the width of a Quarter away from the Board to not Pinch and bind...

The Boards need to be of uniform thickness... A Wedge will jam the machine....

I had a Plastic Tag that I was cutting pop off the the sheet and the rubber roller driving over it made my X Snap...

Good Luck,

AL

Picture 5 Shows the LIP that I cut away.... I am down to 4 extra gears now...