PDA

View Full Version : Y truck issues

northey87
11-23-2011, 02:32 PM
So I finally was able to assemble my Y truck back together, only now it makes a terrible squeaking sound as it moves and it will not move completely to the right to check the bit on the bit plate. What went wrong?

northey87
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Nevermind, found my problem. The AC switch wires were getting in the way of the Y truck causing it not to extend fully. As for the squeaking sound Ill just have to get used to it. Although I now aparently have a new problem, the CW is drilling ablong holes in the X direction where it wasn't doing that before? I checked the Y and Z trucks and there is no movement in the X direction. I am going to start searching the forum for help, seems to me I have seem a post or two about this same issue.

Digitalwoodshop
11-23-2011, 03:24 PM
There is a U shaped metal frame slot that the Y Motor sits in. You need to manually Center the Motor in that U slot. That is likely the source of the noise. The edge of the Big Plastic Gear touches the Frame between the belt and the clear cover of the gear box.

AL

AskBud
11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Nevermind, found my problem. The AC switch wires were getting in the way of the Y truck causing it not to extend fully. As for the squeaking sound Ill just have to get used to it. Although I now aparently have a new problem, the CW is drilling ablong holes in the X direction where it wasn't doing that before? I checked the Y and Z trucks and there is no movement in the X direction. I am going to start searching the forum for help, seems to me I have seem a post or two about this same issue.Several things to try.
1) New masking tape on brass roller area of board.
2) Check sharpness of your cutting bit.
3) Check for a loose bearing on your trucks (does it wobble at all?).
AskBud

northey87
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Several things to try.
1) New masking tape on brass roller area of board.
2) Check sharpness of your cutting bit.
3) Check for a loose bearing on your trucks (does it wobble at all?).
AskBud

I didn't use masking tape on the test piece, it was a piece of pine and didn't slip on the brass roller. The pattern ran perfect, just oblong holes.
The bit is probably starting to get dull, but it is still pretty sharp.
As posted above there is no movement in the Y or Z trucks other than the direction they are suppose to move.

DickB
11-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Although I now aparently have a new problem, the CW is drilling ablong holes in the X direction where it wasn't doing that before? I checked the Y and Z trucks and there is no movement in the X direction. I am going to start searching the forum for help, seems to me I have seem a post or two about this same issue.
I posted on this topic and tried several things, but it was not fixed for me until I cleaned y-truck bearings and re-installed the truck. Since this just started for you after you worked on the truck, I'm going to suggest that it is truck bearing related. With the truck off the rails, each bearing should spin smoothly with a flick of a finger. If not, clean or replace them. Make sure the bearings are tight against the rails. If you can rotate the bearing while holding the truck still, they're not tight enough. You should only be able to rotate the bearings if the truck also moves. I could not detect any wobble either, but doing the above cured my problem.

northey87
11-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I posted on this topic and tried several things, but it was not fixed for me until I cleaned y-truck bearings and re-installed the truck. Since this just started for you after you worked on the truck, I'm going to suggest that it is truck bearing related. With the truck off the rails, each bearing should spin smoothly with a flick of a finger. If not, clean or replace them. Make sure the bearings are tight against the rails. If you can rotate the bearing while holding the truck still, they're not tight enough. You should only be able to rotate the bearings if the truck also moves.

All bearings spinned clean and clear before I installed them, and they are tight on their rails, no movement. As you say, I can only get the bearing to move is if I move the Truck itself.

DickB
11-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Do you get an oval hole drilling a 1/8" hole with the 1/8" cutting bit?

northey87
11-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Do you get an oval hole drilling a 1/8" hole with the 1/8" cutting bit?

Yep, thats whats happening. I understand that you had better luck getting round holes use a drill bit and not the cutting bit, is this still the case or did you go back to the cutting bit after you cleaned your bearings?

DickB
11-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I haven't made another cribbage board lately, but I've been drilling a few 1/8" holes with the cutting bit and it's been working well. I never did figure out exactly what I did to cure the problem for me. But it went away after solved the y-axis jumping/sticking problem, and I assumed it had something to do with the bearings or their setup, because that's what I changed. The only thing I can suggest is to check the z-truck bearings too. In my case I think I disassembled and checked both y and z.