PDA

View Full Version : Z-axis stall but only with 1/16 carving bit

lesbaker
01-20-2007, 01:35 PM
I have had my machine for about 2 weeks now and have carved 4 projects without any problems, however now I can't seem to carve any projects at all due to an error 246, Z-Axis stall when "finding surface". The Z Truck moves fine and will find the surface if I am using any bit other than my 1/16 carving bit. As soon as the 1/16 bit tries to find the surface it stalls. The bit will actually move to the surface of the board and make a 1/16 to 1/8 puncture into the board but then stops. I have read in the forum where many people are have Z-axis problems but I have seen none that were only doing so with a certain bit. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

llamma123
01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Use a 1/2 inch thick board or greater thickness. I had the same issue when using a 1/4 inch board it works fine with the carving bit but when going to the cutting bit which is just a bit longer it gets an error. You can still use a board 1/4 inch thick but it must be sandwitched to another board to make the total thickeness at least 1/2 inch, I believe tech support mentioned that 5/8 was recommended.