PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!! Board Sensor ISSUES...... A Fix it Advice email

Digitalwoodshop
11-19-2011, 06:40 PM
My Buddy George is set to carve a few projects and he is getting a Check Board Sensor Error Message.... We trade Troubleshooting emails from time to time. So I wrote him a detailed email that turned out pretty good. And I thought it had some good points to ponder for others... Like when you order your next FFC Cable you also order a Board Sensor and Board Sensor Cable.... This will help you half split troubleshooting as a bad FFC Cable can give you a Board Sensor Error as can a Dirty Window on the Board Sensor... AS can broken off LED's in the Board Sensor... So here it the letter....

George,

You need a long thin Knife and you are going to carefully cut the back bump off of the Board Sensor. Do this on a Table.... I had to do it 2 weeks ago and I lost the little Plastic Window in my Shop and then just installed a new board sensor.

You need to clean the inside of the plastic lens and the easiest way is to cut the back off.... Then the lens will slid out on the same side as you cut. Clean it and blow out the other dust in the circuit boards. IF one or 2 of the LED Lights fall off in your hand when you remove the back then that is part of the problem... And you need a new board sensor. To have that much dust inside the lens then you have the first version of the Board Sensor. The next generation has a thin film of Epoxy that is spread around the edge of the Green Circuit Board, 1 preventing the dust from getting inside the lens and 2 to prevent the circuit board from moving and the LED's from snapping off... Due to QC Vibration...

The Board Sensor has 2 LED's or Lights just like your Remote Control, Inferred Light. A Cell Phone Camera or Digital Camera can see this light.... In the center between the LED's is a tube or hole up to a photo detector. So the LED shine light and the reflected light is seen by the Photo Detector.

Remember the test for the Board Sensor... A sheet of white copy paper on the board and the head cranked down on the board for distance. Options, Sensor Data, and Board Sensor and the LCD should read 156 as PERFECT. Less than that and trouble.. A 90 would be a broken LED OR a dirty window.

AND to top this all off... IF you get a measuring fault and DO NOT turn the power off then on, the machine will usually fault and give you another board sensor error OR say to load a board..... So remember to turn OFF the power after a fault...

Parts... when you order that board sensor for spare parts also order a board sensor cable.... IF you had that today you could have un plugged the board sensor cable on top and plugged in the new cable and new sensor... Hold it near white paper and check the system... BECAUSE.... Board Sensor DATA goes through the FFC CABLE.... This Half Splits the Troubleshooting... Board Sensor or FFC Cable..

Good Luck... Let me know tomorrow and I can send you a board sensor quick on Monday.

I sealed my Board Sensor with masking tape just catching the edge of the window. That was 2009....

This was my other machine that had the dirty window...

Pinched Wires.... Twice since I have owned my machines I have managed to TUG the 4 Wire Board Sensor Cable Assembly down while trying to change the Board Sensor. It pulled down along side the plastic holder and rested on the edge of the metal. Then at a later time the QC Vibration cause the sharp edge of the metal that was pinching the wires to the plastic guide to jack hammered into the insulation like one of the Sonic Saws using vibration. When that happened, the wire insulation was cut and this shorted out the Board Sensor. 4 Wires... Power + and - and 2 for Signal. SO... Both times the Positive Power Wire was Grounded on my machines... The Result was no Board Sensor Reading and the Cover Switch showed Closed even when open.... or was it the other way around... it was 2007 and 8... ALSO my Z Data stayed 0000.... Even moving the head.... So the FIX... in 2007 was to send the machine in to Texas.... Was still under warranty... The 2nd... Different machine and no warranty... SO it was time to learn... As you can see.. The Broken Rail Bearing Screw..... I got the parts and repaired as seen in the photos...

Good Luck,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
11-19-2011, 08:07 PM
So it's 9 PM on a Saturday Night and we have another HAPPY CARVER.... The Window Cleaning WORKED to get the Cranky Board Detector back up and running with NO NEW PARTS....

"http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr04/ltr/emo/open_mouthed_smile.gif Mr. AL,
YEP...I've got a very BIG SMILE on my face my friend...because of YOU!!!!!!!....At first...it kept giving me an EDGE DETECTION ERROR....but then, I unplugged it....plugged it back in....and had it to measure a board and it did GREAT!!!!

I also checked the BOARD SENSOR...155...... I hope this is good!!!!!!because it measured it width and length!!!!!"

Yes, George a 156 is Perfect !!!! I would call a 155 Perfect TOO.... Happy Carving....

Back to Fire Tag Artwork....

Hey.... I Got "Employee OF the Month" again for the 72nd consecutive Month..... LOL... It is GREAT being a ONE MAN SHOP.... LOL....

AL

Kay willis
01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
I am having same issues, I replaced the sensor but still getting error message. Is it time to replace cable? I could not find instructions on how to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

chief2007
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
To change the wiring harness you will have to remove the y truck assembly.

If you do a search on board sensor, you will find several post on it. Digital woodshop aka Al, has pictures posted on the wiring.

Check all the wiring connecting - FFC cable and wiring on the back side if the z motor, making sure nothing is loose or pulled out