PDA

View Full Version : Two Torus

bergerud
11-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I cannot help but to play with the math of the rotary jig. Here is my mornings exercise. My original question was how to carve a chain on the rotary jig. I realized that there would be too much stuff missed inside, so, I gave up on the chain. (I have experimented before carving chains as four sided carves.) I continued to play with donuts and thought some of you might find it interesting to see more examples of how real 3D transforms to rotary jig 3D. I have included an mpc in case someone with a rotary jig wants to give it a try.

bergerud
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Here is my carve of the two torus. I just love math. You think I am a geek?

Digitalwoodshop
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Very Nice...

AL

gregsolano
01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Definitely a geek, but geeks rule, without geeks there would be no carvewright! That is one cool carve!

lawrence
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Dude.. you are definitely taking the round thing to the next level..... awesome work and THANK YOU for sharing

Lawrence

SteveEJ
01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Very cool. I like your take on the jig as well. Varying length, etc. How small can you go? Here is a idea plant: Think hollow! Special head and tail stock holder with hollow stock that will allow the carving bit to penetrate allowing hollow carves. What ya think? You would have to use pretty dense wood (tight fibers) so it would not fall apart but would be very nice if the right patterns were used. Hollow spirals with grape vines on the sections, etc. If I wasn't on the road so much I would be working on that. Maybe someone else can push that envelope.

bergerud
01-16-2012, 09:18 AM
My thought was to carve first and then drill out hollow. Could work either way I suppose. I do not know yet exactly how small or how large. Maybe 1 inch to 4.5 inches.