PDA

View Full Version : Lost pattern from hard drive -can I get it off my flash drive to edit?

Trader Howland
11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Lost an external hard drive a while back that had several patterns on it so I no longer have them but I DO have them on my CW flash. Is there any way I can get them back into the CW software so I can edit further? Thanks in advance for any help.

cnsranch
11-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't believe so, sorry.

Jeff_Birt
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
The Carvewright memory card only stores a set of instructions on how to move which bit, i..e. the language the machine itself understands. Your actual MPC is not stored on the card.

Think of it like this: The MPC file (the file on your computer) is like a recipe. When you upload the project to the card it is like mixing all the ingredients together with instructions on how long to bake it; you can't unmix the ingredients to find out the recipe. The CarveWright machine is like the oven, it knows how to 'bake' what its given but has no clue about the recipe.

I have an old PC set up with 'Windows Home Server' on it. All of my PCs automatically back up to the Windows Home Server. I have the Windows Home Server automatically back ups to 'IDrive' which costs something like $60/year. That way even if every computer in my hose dies the data is still backed up off site.

There are many companies that sell complete Windows Home Server machines, or you can buy the operating system itself for about $60 and set up a server machine yourself.

lynnfrwd
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
If you are referring to patterns that you purchased through the PatternDepot, those are still available to re-download to your new hard drive. If you are referring to projects that you created and uploaded to your memory card, then those will need to be re-created.

AskBud
11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Lost an external hard drive a while back that had several patterns on it so I no longer have them but I DO have them on my CW flash. Is there any way I can get them back into the CW software so I can edit further? Thanks in advance for any help.From the Machine FAQs:
What is the capacity of the memory card?
The capacity of the memory card is large enough to hold a significant number of projects and scans. How many it will hold depends on the size of the individual projects. Typically, we get 30 to 40 projects on a card. if the card fills up, simply delete some of the files using the Flash Manager in the software. As long as you keep the project file saved to your computer, you can re-upload the project to the memory card at any time. Once on the memory card, the file is no longer in a format that can be brought back into the software and changed. Always save your projects to your hard drive. Backup your projects from time to time, so that you can retrieve them, if your computer crashes.

lynnfrwd
11-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Think of it like this: The MPC file (the file on your computer) is like a recipe. When you upload the project to the card it is like mixing all the ingredients together with instructions on how long to bake it; you can't unmix the ingredients to find out the recipe. The CarveWright machine is like the oven, it knows how to 'bake' what its given but has no clue about the recipe.

LOVE that analogy!!! Hope you don't mind my stealing it!!!

Jeff_Birt
11-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Feel free Lynn. I have been trying to think of a good analogy for it since the other thread came up about this a few weeks ago. I don't like trying to explain stuff with a bunch of tecno-babble analogies to everyday things seem to make the most sense.

Trader Howland
11-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I was kind of thinking along those lines somewhat, but thought there might be a chance that the entire file would be on the flash -oh well, we live and we learn -thanks.

lynnfrwd
11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Feel free Lynn. I have been trying to think of a good analogy for it since the other thread came up about this a few weeks ago. I don't like trying to explain stuff with a bunch of tecno-babble analogies to everyday things seem to make the most sense.

Up until now almost every analogy I have made is with a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk