PDA

View Full Version : newbie B model purchase

crfahy
11-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Stats on the machine - 54 hrs cut time, scan time 22 hrs, service hrs 82, Total on 119 hrs.

I live on 30 acres near a small town in Idaho (pop 362). I just took an early retirement from the Forest Service (GIS analyst) 2 months ago after 32 years… I have a friend that invested in a Carvewright machine B series with her ‘friend’ a couple years ago. She paid for it. He registered it in his name. They parted ways, so she wants to sell the machine (and probe and bit set) now. I don’t really know the guy, but he did accept my facebook friend request and his reply to my msg was ‘unless you’re getting a killer deal you may want to just get a newer one...all the bits have changed as that one is the older version...’ He does have some patterns he would share…
She said I can check it out, see if I like it… I just got it 5 days ago, and I’m already hooked on the software and capabilities. She had to call in so that I could register it in my name, just to try it out. I’m thinking this could be just what I’m looking for to fill the long winter hours. My dad just gave me some hand carving tools, and my husband Monte has done some awesome carving and scrimshaw, but this is ‘way’ up my alley. I want to incorporate it with my woodburning and maybe some intarsia or inlays.

It looks like it needs a good cleaning – and I’ll get to the machine part of it… I’m still hooked on the software. To be honest, I’ve already ordered a dust collector attachment from redneck blues and a dust collector machine. Wasn’t sure one of our shop vacs would handle it… Monte says I can set it up in the big shop to check it out, and I already have plans on moving and wiring up an old outbuilding for my woodworking shop, but need to do a bit of logging first. I sure don’t want it to be my fault if the band equipment got messed up! Guess I should start a business to write it off… But I don’t really want a job. I’m supposed to be taking it easy.
From what I've been reading on the forum, it's not worth near the $1500 she wants for it. I'm looking forward to the design part of it - not problems with an old machine. I'm not even sure if that's a 'carbide' bit set that can be converted to the 'carvetight'... I think it's at least $100 to convert the bits to a $160 carvetight head plus the non-transferrable pattern designer software and heavy duty belts?... And then doing it… Upgrade pkg $425? And I’ll probably want the dxf or stl importer… I don’t know about that yet. I’m guessing I will want a sanding mop.

I guess I just kinda miss so many hours on my computer. I just loaded an old Corel Draw 8 program that I never had time for, hoping I can do the greyshades for import. I have paintshop pro, but am not getting the results I wanted. I would like to do my own designs – I might need a digitizing pen. I don’t really want premade patterns.
Monte is definitely a ‘Mr. Fixit’ – but I’m not sure he’s ready to take time away from his guns and Harleys… I warned him that if I retired early there might be more ‘Honey Dos’ around here.
My other friend owns a sawmill and has a lot of cedar, red fir and pine waste wood that I would like to utilize. I know I would need to make some kind of ‘sled’ to get the ‘wane’ look. And a planer… and the list goes on.
I'm guessing $800-1000? I know she won't like that, but... I can only quilt or paint for so long…

I could get hooked on doing this kind of thing now that I'm retired - when I'm not gardening! But, I never would have known about something like this if not for this small town situation...
This seems like such a good forum! Hard to sort through all the posts for a newbie, but I think I can handle it!
This is my first .mpc just doing simple graphic imports... Says ~ 2 hrs to carve. I'm sure it could be optimized if I knew what I was doing!! Let it snow!

chebytrk
11-14-2011, 06:49 AM
used CWs sell for $500-$600 even with few hours. If that machine has a probe accessory you may need to see if that has already been registered (CW & Probe are 2 different issues for registration). IF the B series machine is working fine you may not need to upgrade the chuck right away although it is recommended soon. Sounds like your in a prime location for wood material to have on hand. STL & DXF SW are great, but not a must when first starting off. Remember you want to eat this elephant "one bite at a time". However, that being said IF & WHEN you do decide to get on the "CW Wave Crave" hold on because it's going to be great times. Maybe a couple of Ruff" patches with the learning curve (as with most any learning), but nothing that you can't be helped with here. My opinion is that CWs success is because of the Forum members here. Be aware that the CW DOES HAVE ONE DRAWBACK..... YOUR IMAGINATION !

Kenm810
11-14-2011, 08:35 AM
crfahy,
Welcome to the CW forum, by taking time to stop by here you’ve allreardy started off on the right foot,
If you can spend some time reading the Tips and Tricks for the carver, plus please have a look at the Videos and Tutorials posted on the forum.
JerryB has touched on a lot of the info you will need and I agree with him on “one bit at a time” until you see which direction you want to go with your carvings.
As for the “DRAWBACK” take a look at the section called “Albums” http://forum.carvewright.com/album.php (http://forum.carvewright.com/album.php) there are tons of great projects and ideas folks have posted to give your Imagination a real Kick Start.

fwharris
11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Colleen,

Great first post and welcome to the community! Let Monte know that there are a lot of great things that can be done with the CW that will fit right into his hobbies. Has he (and you) taken a look at the project gallery http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/ideas/index.php yet?

We here to answer any questions you might have and to make that machine make some dust! :cool:

TerryT
11-14-2011, 10:50 AM
What part of Idaho are you in? I'm in Spokane. We are Start U members and give basic classes on the Carvewright at our shop. Give me a call if you are close enough to stop by sometime.

crfahy
11-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and welcome! When I explained the situation to here, she agreed to let me have it for $500, so I should get off of this computer and make a fire in the big shop so that I can start checking and cleaning the machine. I've already got about 5 projects for testing! I'm glad I did a pretty good job of sorting through the wood pile before the weather got bad!
I did buy the elk and trees from carvebuddy.com to follow one of the tips and tricks. I'm sure I'll be using them again!

TerryT - I am about 4 hrs from Spokane. I'm hoping I can get it set up and ready to go so that the guy that was operating it can maybe come over for my first test run. He's heading to Alaska for the winter in a few weeks though, and I'm sidetracked by my annual wreath making stuff all set up in the shop. Waiting for the dust collection equipment...
I'm full of inspiration and imagination!

chebytrk
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Congrats! May you make lots of sawdust! Don't forget the preliminary checks and services before you start your first project. Happy Carving!

fwharris
11-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Colleen,

Just did a tracking check on your insert and I shows they tried to deliver it yesterday.

Looks like you got a good price on the machine. Try to hook up with Terry if you can, getting a little one on one with him will pay dividends for you!! Best of luck!

b.sumner47
11-15-2011, 10:00 PM
crfahy, Welcome Aboard !

Capt Barry

Icutone2
11-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Welcome and have fun!
Lee

crfahy
11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! My first carving completed! Sawdust flying right into the dust collector (2hp, 120v, 3450rpm, 70gal)!! Thank you Floyd! Had a little rough start - (Y stall error) but took a little emery cloth to the y rails and double checked the flex shaft connection - and away it went! Thank goodness Monte gave me some ear muffs! (and my very own toolbox!)

I used the scanning probe to create my snow people - I'll share them after I clean up their arms! I'm amazed by how it picked up every little pixel in my sloppy snowflakes. Worked out ok though.

I left extra space on the nice flat board to 'stay under rollers', centered on length and told it not to cut. I'm going one step at a time... I think I'll do some burning on the sides and not cut them off. I want to learn how to use the router also, and Santa might bring me a nice little dremel tool... 49449

One of the traction belts has a big tear in it - I went ahead and ordered the heavy duty belts. Also ordered the Carvetight, but guess I will wait to put it on. I have all these old bits and want to try them out.

Next step - figure out how to make a nice adjustable sled and get it to position correctly for the carves... Like Boogalee - I still don't quite get it. But I've come a LONG ways in 3 weeks.

Designer is like my old ArcMap program and the machine is one FANCY plotter! I'll have to look for the greyshade topo maps. I can see how they'd make nice retirement gifts for my old coworkers...

Ike
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Woo Hoo!!!! My first carving completed! Sawdust flying right into the dust collector (2hp, 120v, 3450rpm, 70gal)!! Thank you Floyd! Had a little rough start - (Y stall error) but took a little emery cloth to the y rails and double checked the flex shaft connection - and away it went! Thank goodness Monte gave me some ear muffs! (and my very own toolbox!)

I used the scanning probe to create my snow people - I'll share them after I clean up their arms! I'm amazed by how it picked up every little pixel in my sloppy snowflakes. Worked out ok though.

I left extra space on the nice flat board to 'stay under rollers', centered on length and told it not to cut. I'm going one step at a time... I think I'll do some burning on the sides and not cut them off. I want to learn how to use the router also, and Santa might bring me a nice little dremel tool... 49449

One of the traction belts has a big tear in it - I went ahead and ordered the heavy duty belts. Also ordered the Carvetight, but guess I will wait to put it on. I have all these old bits and want to try them out.

Next step - figure out how to make a nice adjustable sled and get it to position correctly for the carves... Like Boogalee - I still don't quite get it. But I've come a LONG ways in 3 weeks.

Designer is like my old ArcMap program and the machine is one FANCY plotter! I'll have to look for the greyshade topo maps. I can see how they'd make nice retirement gifts for my old coworkers...

Very nice! You are probably not near me, but I know a little about using a router! My number in on my website if you like to ask anything about routers. Hand routers that is! Plus I know a little about painting and finishing signs. As forth to the CW I don't know squat about it!

Ike

TerryT
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Don't let Ike try to fool you. He is an expert sign maker and knows as much as anyone (except me and Al....LOL) about the CNC machines!
By the way, that is a great plaque!! Congratulations.

fwharris
11-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Colleen,

Woo Hoo!!! back at ya! Way to go on your first carving and using your own patterns to boot!

Sled, side rails for the compression rollers and end blocks (3 1/2" for Michael, 4" for LG :roll:) then fill in the void for your carving board.