PDA

View Full Version : I was bored so....

chkorte
11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I’ve been sitting here listening while my CW proceeds with a 6+ hour carve and started wondering how much wood it takes off with each pass. I’m carving on the ‘optimal’ setting and timed the 1/16th carving bits pass from side to side at just under 7 seconds each pass. Now calculating that out, figuring the length of the pattern being carved and the CW’s calculated carving time, assuming the time for each pass remains constant and allowing for the carving time for the next bit (estimated), I calculated that it is taking 14 passes to remove 1/16th of an inch from the board. Now this may change if everything about the pattern remains the same except the depth of cut. Just thought it was interesting. I might have to see how much material is removed on each pass on ‘best’ setting. HAPPY CARVING

CarverJerry
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
When I first got my machine I put an indicator on the end of a board and measured how far it moved each time. I don't remember off hand but I do remember seeing a difference between best and optiminal settings. I also did it when I was scanning in a project to see what the difference was. So by your calculations that would work out to be about .004 on an inch (four thousands) which I think would be about right.

bayea
11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
some people have WAAAY too much time on their hands. LOL