PDA

View Full Version : quick change chuck

c_mjenkins
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
ok so i decided to buy the used A series machine, paid 450 for it . i read the manual loaded a test pc of wood and did a test carve went perfect. then i tryed a 2nd carve and the cw asked for me to change the bit and i cant get the first one out it seems like the chuck is stuck. i tried by hand and by the wrench the chuck wont budge. anyone have any ideas what i could be doing wrong. looking forward to your thoughts. thanks

bergerud
11-12-2011, 09:05 PM
This is a common problem. The tapered adapter gets stuck in the taper of the chuck. Search "stuck bit" (with the quotes) and you will find many threads on this.

CarverJerry
11-13-2011, 09:26 AM
First thing I'd do is get rid of that chuck and get either a Rock Chuck or change out to the carvetight truck. I've got the Rock Chuck and love it. Just my 2¢ worth.

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Hopefully you got a bit chuck Wrench with it.. You can insert it in the QC and slowly turn and pry like opening a beer bottle a little at a time all the way around. If you crank it like quickly opening a bottle of beer you can bend it...

Need a wrench I have one you can have. Send address via PM or email.

And like posted above, the QC has it Quirks but it does work.... A Can of 3 in 1 oil and keeping it clean and lubricated really helps....

Watch out for BB marks in the Bit Holders... The bits are held in the QC by 3 BB's When the QC Chuck is worn out it lets the Bit Holder FLOP around and the BB Marks are made by the Jack Hammer effect of the BB's hitting the Softer Metal of the Bit Holders.... And the other side of the problem is take a brand new QC and insert a BAD WORN bit Holder and it will damage the New QC in one Project... It can cause the Machine to THROW the Bits out of the QC.... Search "bit Holders" using the " " and 3 years ago and you will find Hundreds of posts.... That is why Ron Justice a Member here has been Granted "Sainthood" Status due to his work making a ROCK Chuck that will screw in place of the QC. LHR followed it with it's CarveTite Chuck that is one solid piece between the top Square Hole where the Flex Plugs into to the Bottom where the Bit Plugs into. Both work and work well. The CarveTite is only a 1/2 inch version that needs the LHR Pressed on Sleeves. The Rock comes in 1/8 to 1/2 inch with 1/4 being the standard. I like the Rock as I work in 1/4 inch.

So let me know if you need the wrench.... Oil on the top of the QC Chuck letting it drizzle down inside the chuck helps... Tapping the side of the Chuck with a Screwdriver and turning it also helps.... And Finally what I call the Sling Shot..... Using both hands pull the outer spring loaded QC Shell back and let it snap forward... Many times the Bit will FLY out the first time....

Good Luck,

As funds become available get a Rock or CT..... IF you have bad bit holders and a bad QC and do not change EVERYTHING at the same time then the bad part will kill the new parts... That is what frustrated everyone.... Not understanding that you must replace all the components at the same time... Hence my Picture... After 1 Hour and I had BB Marks in my new Bit Holders... And I did not understand.... Now we do 20/20 hindsight....

AL

c_mjenkins
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
thanks for all the good info you guys are all very generous and helpful. the problem with this qc is that the sleeve freezes up and wont move up or down i've oiled it and it seems to get better then when i run the machine again it sticks. i guess i'll just deal with it for now and order one of the new chucks soon this one is very frustrating. i cant decide which one to do the rock or carvetight if i get the rock can i use the original 1/8 and 1/16 bits that would be nice. again thanks for the help.

c_mjenkins
11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
and by the way thanks for the offer on the wrench, but i got one with it still very generous though