PDA

View Full Version : How wide can it actually carve?

Tcmind
11-07-2011, 08:57 PM
14.5" is the maximum width of the board, but what is the maximum width it can actually carve? Will it carve edge to edge?

Thanks,
TC

dbfletcher
11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
You can carve edge to edge, but you have to make sure you always have something for the top rollers to ride on. So realistically, is would have to be a very well designed and strategically layed out mpc to carve edge to edge. It is generally wise to leave .5" on all sides of the board.

Tcmind
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks Doug.

We are making a sign that is about 26" wide, so the lettering will have to go to the edge at least on one side and I will cut and then align the lettering to the second half. Each board will be about 14" wide.

TC

AskBud
11-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Doug.

We are making a sign that is about 26" wide, so the lettering will have to go to the edge at least on one side and I will cut and then align the lettering to the second half. Each board will be about 14" wide.

TCYou must be sure that you provide a rail, normally at the top of each carve, so the top rollers do not drop and cause an abort. It may depend upon the layout of your design.
This PDF on Big signs may help you understand the concept. As you review the PDF you can see that there is always an area across the board that supports the roller. If there is a void all the way across the board, the roller will drop.
http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jul09.pdf
AskBud

Tcmind
11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Bud.

Good article! The sign I am doing will have recessed lettering so it should be able to support the rollers. I just thought of another question... is there a way to group a couple of patterns so that you can move all of them at once?

TC

AskBud
11-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks Bud.

Good article! The sign I am doing will have recessed lettering so it should be able to support the rollers. I just thought of another question... is there a way to group a couple of patterns so that you can move all of them at once?

TCFirst, each pattern must have any centering or lock points removed.
Next, Highlight all needed items and then move (drag) them to where you wish. The process is as it they are one item.
AskBud