PDA

View Full Version : DXF importer compared to STL importer

chip_rambyte
11-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I was thinking about buying one of the importers and had a question before I pull the trigger. If I have the ability to save anything I create as either a DXF or a STL would there be a technical reason to buy the DXF importer. It seems to me if the STL importer does as good as the DXF importer than why would you buy anything but the STL version since that gives you the ability to slice the file. But if there is a technical reason to go with DXF I would like to know (for instance, the DXF importer does a bettter job at XYZ type of files or can handle other tasks better).

TIA

dbfletcher
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
They really do two entirely different things. STL importer is for bringing in 3D solid entities where as the dxf importer is for bringing in 2D vectors. I don't think you can get true vector objects from the stl importer, but I have never really tried either as I do own both. If you can only get one, I would probably go for the STL importer becuase if you can convert your dxf files to Adobe Illustrator 8.0 format, you can use the free AI2MPC program that will allow your to bring in your 2d vectors.

lynnfrwd
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
They are two separate software packages that each performs a different job.

You can get DXF files & STL files already made (selection is relatively small). If you design in 2d or 3d, then that would be my deciding factor.

I know how to use 2d software, but have not yet mastered the 3d graphics world. (And I'm not holding my breath!)

lawrence
11-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Doug nailed the details... I like and use both quite a bit.... if you do enough work you'll probably end up getting both, but I got DXF importer first and then the STL importer... but both are valuable products and well worth the cost IMHO

Lawrence

liquidguitars
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
If all your work is flat then you want the DXF if your work requires 3D to make carved 3D shaped objects then you will need the STL.

chip_rambyte
11-09-2011, 05:45 AM
If I did a 2D design could I not export it as a STL and still reap the benefits of both programs with one program?

dbfletcher
11-09-2011, 05:53 AM
I really doubt it. STL importer wants to "slice" a 3d object in to "patterns" that can be reassembled after carving. I'm not even sure offhand if an stl with no Z component is even a legal file structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

mtylerfl
11-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Just to add to this for clarity (hopefully)....

How I use the DXF Importer: I make line drawings in Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw, such as box parts, custom text converted to curves, shapes of any kind, etc. at their exact dimensions. Then I save the line drawings as DXF. Then I can import the drawings into Designer where I can assign a cut path, v-bit, or "whatever bit" to the lines. This often saves me a TON of time using a drawing program optimized for that purpose, rather than trying to manually draw directly in Designer when I have "fit critical" items

How I use the STL Importer: I make a dimensional relief model in Aspire or ArtCAM. I save the dimensional model as STL, then import the model and convert it to a PTN so I can carve it in my CarveWright machines. Importing an STL often results in a higher-quality than a greyscale import-to-PTN process. An advantage of owning the STL Importer (even if you don't have the capability to make your own STL models) is that you can purchase, download, and use an STL someone else has made and be able to convert it to a PTN. Many CNC pattern/model vendors offer STL patterns that were otherwise inaccessable to CarveWright owners before the STL Importer became available.