PDA

View Full Version : 3D Graphics

signman9999
11-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I want to learn how to do 3D graphics. I really don't want to put out a massive amount of money on software that is hard to use. Can anyone recommend some software that is easy to use for a beginner. Or can someone point me to some software and let me know why they would recommend that particular software? If anyone is close to Indiana and would give me some classes that would be really great. Thanks Tom

signman9999
11-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Might I also say that even if you are not close to Indiana I would not be opposed to making a road trip.

Alan Malmstrom
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I have a web site with information on a free Graphic Design Program and tutorials on how to use it.

you will find it here: http://www.patternhelp.com

Alan

eelamb
11-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Alan, very nice website, and nice work on your tutorials.

Signman9999, Alan has been working with the members on the forum to create these tutorials, and has done a great job on them. Using Alan's tutorials you will be able to create many great patterns, without learning 3D design software or how 3D's are created using quads or sculpting. I suggest following along with Alan and see if this is for you. Alan's method is a a great place to start the learning process.

jpaluck
11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi,

The word easy and 3d really do not go together. There is going to be a learning curve with any package you choose. That being said, the good news you do not have dump a lot of money. I am assuming you are looking to make carving/cnc type models.

There two ways you can about this. One is a polygon modelor, the other is nurbs modelor. Polygons, you can do everything - hard surface models, highly organic shapes likes faces, characters, leaves etc.

Packages like 3ds max and maya get really expensive 3K range because besides modeling yyou get high quality rendering ( not needed for cnc models) and animation ( not needed). The next would be modo and cinema 4d both very nice modelors and rendering and animation. I recently broke down for modo however I got into 3d for more than cnc models..very addicting hobby. These are all polygon modelors. The other package I use a lot is nurbs based which is MOI3d..very simple as far as 3d goes to learn..mostly for hard surface type models..but you can export as stl and go right into CW designer.

The other package I would highly recomend is blender. It's free and they recently re-did their user interface. Blender has everything Max and Maya has and again it's free and open source. Other really good thing about it is it has a very active user forum and their are a TON of tutorials all over the net. The issue with learing specifically for cnc gets hard because there is little info on how to model in relief..ie 2.5d. But once you learn the basics of modeling it is easily applied to cnc models. Start with simple models to learn the basics and go from there. The frustrating part with all these packages there are SO MANY options and there are SEVERAL ways of doing something to achieve the exact same result and all are considered the right way of doing it.

I also subscribed to digital tutors..40 a month..but VERY good videos...I watch a lot of maya modeling tutorials and adapt them to silo or modo. Silo from nevercenter is a great poly modelor..like 150 bucks..no render no animation..all modeling.

Also check out the cnc artguild there are a few of us in there swapping modeling how to's from time to time http://cutscarvesandcolors.ning.com/ and jason is trying to put together some webinars on it.

Hope that helps

Ropdoc
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I use Solidworks in my job. And would love to figure out how to use my models in Carevwright. But if I can learn this software that might be even better. Thank you for the heads up and tutorials.

Ropdoc
11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know anything about Google 3D Sketchup (link below)? I was thinking about checking it out. But if anyone here knows the good or BAD and can save time. I would really apreciate it.

http://sketchup.google.com/download/

Thanks
Dave

lawrence
11-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I love and use google sketchup all the time... in fact, most of the models I have been posting recently are originally from sketchup. It is free, easy to use, widely used, and did I mention free? I don't just use it for 3d modeling for the CW, but also use it for designing ww'ing projects.

Lawrence

kool69sporty
11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Ropdoc, I have limited experience with SW but have the STL importer. With that tool its easy to import 3D models into Designer for carving. I just did a 3D revolved and contoured base that I imported than added text and carved objects onto the revolve. Quite powerful with impressive results. IMHO, SW is quite useful for use with the CW. Joe

signman9999
11-08-2011, 05:12 AM
All. Thank you for the reply's. I will definitely check all of these out. Sorry I did not respond back yesterday but was a little busy since my daughter and son-in-law flew in from Germany. OH YEAH. They will be here for 2 weeks so I might not get to them all now but rest assured that I will. Thank you all

Ropdoc
11-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I need to save up and get the DXF Importer. I would love to see samples of your work forSolidworks thru the DXF importer. Maybe we should start a new thread. I will also do a search.

Thank you,
Dave

Ropdoc, I have limited experience with SW but have the STL importer. With that tool its easy to import 3D models into Designer for carving. I just did a 3D revolved and contoured base that I imported than added text and carved objects onto the revolve. Quite powerful with impressive results. IMHO, SW is quite useful for use with the CW. Joe

kool69sporty
11-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Ropdoc, this is a work in progress but gives some idea of the process. I created a simple revolve in SW and brought it into Designer with STL importer. The project I'm planning is a carved base for a turned wooden goblet. I wanted to embellish the base as opposed to a smooth turning. I'll have to glue up the pieces and am also thinking ahead to the EZB rotary attachment for carving the stem as well. Joe

eelamb
11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
RopDoc, I think you are looking at the wrong program to purchase. Kool69sporty is talking of STL importer, NOT DXF importer. STL importer imports 3d designs into designer. The DXF is (I believe) what you would call wireframe, and makes vector lines in designer.

Ropdoc
11-09-2011, 08:30 AM
So if I created a model in Solidworks and wish to import it as a 3D solid I would use STL importer, making sure that I save it from Solidworks as a DXF file. Now does that mean that I could take a 3D model, lets say a person. Scale it up to maybe 4 feet tall. Slice it into 3/4" thick slices, cut the slices and then glue then all together. A little sanding. And there you have a Solidwood 4' tall figure.

If I wanted to import an 2D AutoCAD drawing into Designer I would use DXF importer making sure that I save the AutoCAD file as DXF. And with that I could then create complex and accurate cut paths similar to scroll cuts.

This is all awesome !! My problem is that I have to choose between eating, paying bills or buy software. Well right now eating is most important. But I look forward to every morning being able to go into Carvewright's forum and see the AWESOME thing all of you can do. And then when it is time for me to buy software. I can reflect back on you guys. But now I understand the use of the software. Thank you very very much.

Dave

RopDoc, I think you are looking at the wrong program to purchase. Kool69sporty is talking of STL importer, NOT DXF importer. STL importer imports 3d designs into designer. The DXF is (I believe) what you would call wireframe, and makes vector lines in designer.

dbfletcher
11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
STL importer, making sure that I save it from Solidworks as a DXF file.

You mean save it as a STL.... but the rest is correct. And dont forget, you can get away without having the DXF importer if you can save your vectors (2d drawings) as an Adobe Illustrator 8.0 format using AI2PMC. They are both worth getting, but if you can only get one, I would go for the STL cuz there is a decent workaround for the dxf importer.

bergerud
11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
What may be confusing is that the DXF format can be 2D or 3D. I save drawings in my 2D drawing program as DXF and use the DXF importer. I also create 3D surfaces in a math program and export them as DXF. In the later case, I have to convert them to STL using another program before the STL importer. 3D DXF files cannot be directly imported into the Carvewright software.

Ropdoc
11-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Thank you dbfletcher for the catch. I tried to keep it straight.

Now I have the whole ADOBE suite. Just do not know how to use it, and I get overwhelmed when I try to figure it out. But in the package you are saying is Illustrator that will allow me to save the DXF format lines so I can open them in Designer to use as cut paths and so on. Do you know if I can import and AutoCAD drawing saved as DXF and open it in Illustrator? I will try and make time tonight to test it. Thank you for your patience in all these questions.

Dave

You mean save it as a STL.... but the rest is correct. And dont forget, you can get away without having the DXF importer if you can save your vectors (2d drawings) as an Adobe Illustrator 8.0 format using AI2PMC. They are both worth getting, but if you can only get one, I would go for the STL cuz there is a decent workaround for the dxf importer.