PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Y-axis movement

jeff412
11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
When my machine moves in the Y direction, it jerks back and forth and I never hit the touchplate. The belt is clean and clear of obstacles. Per tech support, I have removed the Y motor and blew out the sensor. It looked very clean, but I did it anyway. The motor seems to turn freely. I have uploaded a video of the problem here. http://s609.photobucket.com/albums/tt179/jeff41268/Carvewright/ Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
11-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Who you going to call at 1:30 AM... Dust Busters..... My CW is carving tags as I type this morning. A little break from the Night Shift... Cutting Tags for the 3rd part of the 3 orders due on the 7th... O' that is today... While I Spin the Rings and Clips on the other 2 Tag Orders..... So I have some time for a reply... Give the Thumb a rest, twisting on the 1 inch rings with clip. The 3rd order is not looking so good.... It's Picture tags for my local FD that I belong to. A donation... :) Plus I am making some Life Member stuff for the FD, a friend is leaving the area and I want to use the pictures of the stuff on my site. A busy week.....

Ok... Back on track... Enough Rambling...

What you are going to find if you remove the Y Motor again and remove the Gear Box... The 2 Bearings for the big white or black gear are shot... Here is a place to get them or use the info to buy them local. Once the bearings are shot they wear the shaft of the big gear and the gear tilts toward the center of the machine. That is when the big gear rubs against the U shaped metal frame that the Y Motor sits is.

With 150 posts this has been posted many times and I am shocked the Tech did not have you remove the big gear and inspect the shaft... You DID say it looked normal.... But Trust me... It is not.... Post your Cut Motor Hours... I bet it is near 450.... I now recommend to change the 2 bearings in the Y when you change the Cut Motor Brushes... At 250 Hours.... Since the Y takes the most Abuse and new bearings every 250 will give you smoother carvings.

In the event that this is NOT the problem.... Then the next is Dust in the Encoder or a FROZEN Y Bearing, usually the lower left toward the keypad....

If the big gear is worn... You can buy just the gear to fix it... WITH new 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm Bearings...

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768

jeff412
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I am only around 130 carve hours on my machine. I placed the order for the bearings. Thanks for the link. I will take it apart again tonight.

Jeff

cestout
11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
The gear and spindel is only $6 from LHR. I am about 500 hrs and this will be my second rebuild. I am now going to plan brushes and rebuild Y gear box every 250 hrs. I also ordered the tensioning spring for about $1.50.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
It took me 3 Gear Boxes before I started to see the real problem.... Hence I recommend... 250 hours... Cut Motor Brushes and Y re build.... GOOD JOB !!!

AL

DickB
11-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I thought I posted this the other day. I had the same type of problem and ran through several potential fixes including complete motor and gearbox. The actual culprit was a couple of bad y-truck bearings. They were not sticking, and as I rolled the truck by hand felt OK to me. It wasn't until I completely removed the truck and spun the bearings by hand that I could tell that two were not operating smoothly. I'm not necessarily saying this is your problem, just that a truck bearing may be bad and still not be to the point of completely freezing up. BTW while waiting for replacement bearings, I tried dissembling them (removed the dust shield) and cleaning, and that cured the problem. (I used to do this regularly with RC cars.)

jeff412
11-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I suspect that this may be my problem. From the time the machine was new, the z-motor has rubbed on the underside of the housing. When I had it at LHR for upgrades, I requested that they fix it, but they forgot. They did send me a new housing and that fixed the rubbing problem, but now I have this movement problem. Does anyone have a link to the instructions to remove the y-truck? Where can I get the bearings for it?

Jeff

chief2007
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Here's the link under ( under the carvewright home page/ support / maintenance ).

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_y-truck.pdf

Call the folks at carvewright/LHR (713) 473-6572 - link for parts manual - http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

Part number for roller bearing - MWM A2021 Part number for screws SCMM-5.0-0.80FA-14AB-SP

Hope this helps -

jeff412
11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I called today and they recommended changing the y-motor. I ordered the motor and I tried to order the y-truck bearings but they were out of stock.

lynnfrwd
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Bearings should be here next week. Last I heard they were in California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff412
11-11-2011, 06:23 AM
I have an old Z-truck. I am going to try to remove the bearings from it and use them on the y-truck. I need it working by this weekend. I have a couple of jobs waiting on me to get it running.

Jeff

chief2007
11-11-2011, 08:01 AM
How many hours on your machine ?? You could need to change the bearings in the y gear box. Al recommends changing these bearings at the 250 hour mark along with the A/C motor brushes - he is one of the "Guru" on these machines.

It could be bearings in lieu of the motor - just saying

Read this thread info on the gears and the link to get them http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19217-Y-Gear-Box-Inner-Bearings-causing-Y-belt-slip-5mm-x-11mm-x-5mm&highlight=gear

PS: Watch the screws on the old Z truck - the heads can strip easy because of the thread cement

jeff412
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I only have about 130 hours on it.

chief2007
11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Bearings could still be an issue - while you have things apart might be good to look at them.

cestout
11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I have about 500 hrs ande have just finished changing the bearings in the Y gear box and the shaft and gear for the second time. The Y truck bearings got stiff once and I ordered new ones but freed up the existing ones with light oil and the new ones are in the drawer. In the gearbox, the back one has been ok but the one nearest the gear has disentigrated both times. The only difficult part or the repaie is getting to bad bearing out. Drive it outt from the back with a small flat screwdriver.
Clint

jeff412
11-14-2011, 06:31 PM
None of the parts have come in yet. As soon as they arrive I'll tear it down. Hopefully it's something simple. Kinda dreading tearing it apart again.

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Jeff,

You can Slap that whole Z Gear Box on the Y Motor.... I did it 3 times.... 4 machines.... 3 bad Y Gear Boxes... Extra Z Gear Box from the 14 pin FFC Cable Upgrade.... The only difference is that there is a threaded hole on top of the Z Gear Box for the Tension Screw. Is the same size... Just align the meshing of the Y Motor to the new Z Box... Screw Holes are Oval.... A Snug Mesh but not over tight. Then I started buying bearings and new gears to rebuild them... But now follow the 250 Cut Hour Plan... Replace with the Cut Motor Brushes.

Good Luck,

AL

jeff412
11-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I didn't realize that it was the same. I have the z motor from an upgrade I did as well. Tech support told me that I couldn't use it. That may get me up and running a little faster.

Thanks,
Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Here is a 2008 picture of a Z Gear Box being used in a Y Position. The Opposite would not work so well, using a Y Gear box in the Z as there are no threads for the Z spring loaded screw. You could hold tension on it while you tighten the Z and get away with it.

And did this thread start out asking about Rail Roller Bearings???

AL

jeff412
11-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Got the Y-bearings and motor in yesterday. The botton y-roller bearings were bad. They weren't frozen, but they were stiff. I couldn't get them loose so I had to drill out the screws. I went ahead and replaced the motor while I was there. Put it all back together and I'm finally up and running again. Thanks for all of the help.

Jeff