PDA

View Full Version : Litho carving question

Ironone
11-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks in advance for any help,

I am working on a clock that will have a litho in the bottom, on all the pics I have looked at here in the CW forums, it looks like the carved side is what you look at and the smooth side it put towards the light.. can this be reversed? so that without the light on it just looks smooth?

Jeff

Kenm810
11-05-2011, 06:59 PM
It can be done, but a the results are normally Poor,
instead - a few folks including myself have placed a thin sheet of
glass or clear lexon plastic in front of the carved litho's face to give it a smooth
appearance when the light in the back is on or off with out detracting form the
quality of the original litho.

Sallen1215
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Ken is correct, you will get a "ghost" image if the litho is backwards, most of my customers enjoy the fact of how it feels and then they are amazed by the view when lit. but to each their own.. enjoy the creative process

Stephen

william-finn
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
hey guys im new to lithophanes and just got a carvewright about 3 weeks ago and ive done 2 lithos but im getting a basketball texture on the carved piece....ive worked with the photos in my editing software but just cant seem to get it.....any help ?...

thanks william

mtylerfl
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
hey guys im new to lithophanes and just got a carvewright about 3 weeks ago and ive done 2 lithos but im getting a basketball texture on the carved piece....ive worked with the photos in my editing software but just cant seem to get it.....any help ?...

thanks william

Hi William,

Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Since we cannot actually see the photo(s) you started with, it's a guessing game to determine how best to help you. But, I'll give you my best guess!

Start with a VERY GOOD quality high resolution photo. If a photo is a low-res jpg, this could account for the "basketball texture". Also, if the photo is low-quality and enlarged at all, this makes the problem worse.

Jpg photos often suffer from "pixelation" when compressed to smaller file sizes. This pixelation will create undesirable carving results. Perhaps the following Tips & Tricks will help you understand what may be going on at your end. Here is the download link...

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Aug08.pdf