PDA

View Full Version : Pattern / carving problem

chkorte
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Yesterday i carved the first in a series of 8 plaques i’m making for my local va hospital. After running for 6 ½ hours this is what i ended up with. As you can see the square is not square and the circles are not round and the carved letters inside the circle have no draft. The cw carved 4 different plaques the previous 2 days without any problems. No matter what i do with the mpc i can’t get it to show any draft. Does anyone have any thoughts? This wood is to expensive to make firewood!

AskBud
11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Yesterday i carved the first in a series of 8 plaques i’m making for my local va hospital. After running for 6 ½ hours this is what i ended up with. As you can see the square is not square and the circles are not round and the carved letters inside the circle have no draft. The cw carved 4 different plaques the previous 2 days without any problems. No matter what i do with the mpc i can’t get it to show any draft. Does anyone have any thoughts? This wood is to expensive to make firewood!It would appear that your wood may be Oak or some other hard wood.
Your main problems are the wood did not track well as it moved over the brass roller I say this due to the left to right error), and you may have a dull carving bit (I say this due to the skewing of your square).
Tape on the bottom of your board may resolve the Brass roller problem. If you are using a sled the same thing applies, however, you must also be sure to firmly secure the oak as well. Remember that masking tape, on a sled, needs replaced prior to each carve.

The skewed square could indicate that your carving bit is dull, either pushing the wood or throwing off the measurement devices across the board. It could also indicate a loose board on a sled.

The raised text could use a medium draft, if that is a concern.
The "VA" is a pattern, and as such creates other problems.
It would possibly require merging on some items and Conforming Vectors to your circular text.
I guess we need to know exactly what you like and dislike about the heights of the various items.
AskBud