PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft is KAPUT !

chebytrk
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Turned in my machine today. Looks like the Flex Shaft went out on it. Started making horrible grinding noise while running a project a couple of weeks ago. I took out the core and looked at it and it looked OK. The spring coil did look a little off and didn't appear to be straight as I've seen before. Is it supposed to be the same length as the core cable? It wasn't bent, but did have a slight "off" in the center. I noticed when I put it back in the shaft sheath that it didn't go in smooth. The sheath did look fine from what I could see and feel (at least on the outside). After I put the core back in all ran fine until today. I started noticing it was getting hot on the bend of the shaft. I then started hearing "bad rumbling" and hard periodic vibration on the shaft. Of course this would ONLY happen while I'm in the middle of a carve right(Wright)? Finally..... PROJECT ABORTED. So...... it's gone to Sears to get it worked on. Good thing I've got a friend close by who is going to let me use his machine so I can meet my deadlines on some projects I've got going. Finally got my new woodshop where I want it and my machine goes out. Oh well "est la vie"

dltccf
10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Good thing I've got a friend close by who is going to let me use his machine so I can meet my deadlines on some projects I've got going.

Good thing indeed, mine went up in August and I'm still not back to carving with no good friends with machines nearby.

dave

chief2007
10-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Anyone have a recommended time change requirement for the Flex shaft? A/C motor brushes at 250 hours, bearings as well. We need a good list of time change requirements to prevent these kind of problems I would think. I'm going through the old tips and tricks now to make a maintenance chart unless someone already has one done.

Guess I will add a spare flex shaft to the list of spare parts to have on hand, lol

Digitalwoodshop
10-31-2011, 09:22 PM
My trick is pet the Flex at every bit Change.... Looking for HEAT.... First sign of heat and when the project is done, while the flex is still warm. I pull the flex and place a dime size glob of Chain Lube with Molly in the center of the length of the flex and put it back together.... Happens about every 6 months....

AL

CarverJerry
11-01-2011, 06:00 AM
So Al, how long can a flexshaft last if it is maintained? And do you have a maintenance schedule for the CW/CCW? You have given so much advice and seems to me you know your stuff on these machines, we value your experience. Thanks

CarverJerry

henry1
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
My trick is pet the Flex at every bit Change.... Looking for HEAT.... First sign of heat and when the project is done, while the flex is still warm. I pull the flex and place a dime size glob of Chain Lube with Molly in the center of the length of the flex and put it back together.... Happens about every 6 months....

AL
I have had my machine now for 3 yrs now and still same flex shaft like al said is the best maintenants ,,I curl my tubing like a pig tail and put my flex in it with chain lube that way it bends so the lub penetrait the flex
Henry

dltccf
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
So Al, how long can a flexshaft last if it is maintained? And do you have a maintenance schedule for the CW/CCW? You have given so much advice and seems to me you know your stuff on these machines, we value your experience. Thanks

CarverJerry

My first failed after a month. My second failed after about 4 hours, and my third failed after about 6 hours. long term maintenance is something I can only hope to know about someday.

dave

chebytrk
11-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Yo Obie Won Al Who Kanobie....
I'm using my buddies machine while mine is in the shop and you came through for me. I checked the Flex Shaft during my first carve and noticed it was getting hot (about the middle of the shaft.. as it bends). I decided to stop the machine in the middle of the carve and pull out the flex shaft. It was definately hot in the middle. I let it cool a little and sprayed about a dime size spot in that middle area and put the shaft back in. Cranked her up to continue and "Wha La" now longer hot and it's running fine now. Thanks Amigo! Since this is my first time now one thing I have noticed about the "C" machine is that it is actually louder than my "A" machine while running. I've got a Rock Chuck on mine and they both have a DC Insert (mine is the 1st Edition & my buddy has the latest). However, I do notice it now that I've had something to compare mine to is that the "C" is definately louder than mine. They both have good mufflers on them too. Just my opinion and observation. Still... it's all good as long as I'm carving! Thanks again.

AL

lynnfrwd
11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Jerry, did you do this upgrade to it?

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18955-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle

(http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18955-New-Information-about-the-CarveTight-Spindle)