PDA

View Full Version : Tabs & Place Tabs

Bill Pratt
10-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I write in my practice quiz concerning Tabs & Place Tabs in the "Carving" menue.

i frequently use the cut out feature of the CW machine to finish off the carving. This has been successful in even very complicated shapes. Rececently, however, I have run into a problem when attempting to cut out either a square or oblong feature.

When trying to cut out out a square or oblong the cut out has very small tabs and the entire top (keypad) side leaves over th 1/8 inch solid tab for the entire lenght of the feature. Because this is almost always the direction of the grain, it does not break out properly.

I have tried to use "Place Tabs" fron the main menue and from the "Carving" menue to no avail. There arte no instructions for this feature in the written manual (that I can find) and in the electronic version there is a zero response using the word search!

Help.

AskBud
10-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I write in my practice quiz concerning Tabs & Place Tabs in the "Carving" menue.

i frequently use the cut out feature of the CW machine to finish off the carving. This has been successful in even very complicated shapes. Rececently, however, I have run into a problem when attempting to cut out either a square or oblong feature.

When trying to cut out out a square or oblong the cut out has very small tabs and the entire top (keypad) side leaves over th 1/8 inch solid tab for the entire lenght of the feature. Because this is almost always the direction of the grain, it does not break out properly.

I have tried to use "Place Tabs" fron the main menue and from the "Carving" menue to no avail. There arte no instructions for this feature in the written manual (that I can find) and in the electronic version there is a zero response using the word search!

Help.This post is a multi part question and solution about TABs
First, You may not have left enough free space on the top of your design. The cut-out should be at least 1/2 inch away from the top edge (unless you are using a larger board than in your design, and centering the project in the machine). This could be the reason for the lack of a cut-through on that edge.

Second, Tabs are automatic on the cut-out option, however, you may select how large, the minimum, and the thickness.

Third, The "Place Tabs Option'" usually applies to the usage of the :Pierced Carving" option.

My "Download" link, below, has a Zipped AVI lesson titled "Pierced Carving-How I did IT" which may help you better understand the concept.
AskBud

mtylerfl
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Bill,

AskBud is correct...your cut out is too close to the top edge of the board. The software senses this and intentionally creates the strange "tab" to protect the Brass Sensor directly under the board in that area. Easy solution...use a wider board so that you don't have the cut path so close to that edge...or reduce the size of your project...anything to get that cut path away from being so close to the top edge.