PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Brushs story

SteveNelson46
10-30-2011, 12:20 PM
This is a picture of the cut motor brushes when i took the caps off. The top brush was warn dangerously thin and the bottom brush had not only dissapeared but, the spring was gone also. It's not in the motor and the only thing that came out when I took the cap off was black dust. Interestingly, the motor never failed and the last project (a 4 hour carve) completed without a problem. After replacing the brushes I ran a test carve and everything seems to be okay. The machine has been running flawlessly for about an hour now on the next project without a problem. Man did I get lucky or what!!!

Kenm810
10-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Lucky!! Steve, -- It's nice to read a story with a happy ending now and then :wink:

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2011, 01:15 PM
That could have been a $150.00 repair... How many Cut Hours? First set of brushes?

About 289 is the normal end of life... But others have had them go longer... I recommend 250....

Good Catch...

AL

b.sumner47
10-30-2011, 05:19 PM
You are one lucky guy, Steve . By any chance did you look at the armature of the motor

Capt Barry?

SteveNelson46
10-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Al

I checked the brushes at about 220 hours and they still had about 1/4 of an inch left, so I ordered a replacement set. When I replaced them yesterday there were 325 hours on them. I didn't realize that I had done that much carving since the last check. I guess time flies when you're having fun.

Subsequently, I found the spring to the bottom brush under the infeed table. I guess it poped out and I just didn't see it. Still haven't found the remains of the wire or the old brush but, they are probably on the shop floor somewhere.

SteveNelson46
10-30-2011, 05:35 PM
THe armature appeared to be okay but, I didn't disassemble the motor. There is about 6 hours of carving time on the machine since the brush change and everything seems to be doing great.

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Every Brush Change or 250 Hours... I recommend opening the Motor and blowing out the sawdust. The back fan sucks air in through the slots near the brushes. And other than a machine with a collector on the Truck everyone has dust in the motor....

The trick is to tuck the wires back in the proper place when you put it back together and make sure to spin the motor as the Armature can JAM locked when it is in place and the Stator is out of place.... Spin to check....

AL