PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Traction Belts

cpuman
10-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello to everyone and Happy Halloween! I am new to the forum, but have watched and read for about a year now.

I have a Compucarve version B and have used it for nearly 6 months now. I upgraded to the R. Justice Rock Chuck and couldn't be happier! Absolutely a great product for the machine.

As most new people do, I have some questions that I need some help with My sandpaper belts ripped last week so I ordered the rubber belts. When they came in, I installed them and am now at the calabration stage. I downloaded the PDF for installation. After reading, the instructions, 1 place says to use a 36" board for the calabration. In another part, use a 1 x 3 board. Are they talking 1 foot x 3 foot or 1 inch x 3 inch? Is this the same 36" length board?

Anyway, I just completed my first full project. It is a plaque for my Daughter aand son-in-law. It has their wedding day picture in the center and their names and wedding date on each side of the photo. I used Minwax walnut stain for the background and Minwax classic oak for the perimeter and photo. Everything is sprayed with a clear coat of Krylon clear.

Thanks in advance to all of you who inspire and push me to advance further than my limits!

Johnny Maniscalco

easybuilt
10-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Welcome to the Forum! You will find a lot of good infromation and friends here! That is a beautiful carve and I love how you painted it.
Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more.

b.sumner47
10-29-2011, 11:46 PM
Johnny, To answer your question it would be inches. You have made a beautiful carving for your daughter and son-in-law, something they will cheerish for a long time. ' WELCOME ABOARD "

Capt Barry

SharonB
10-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Johnny...you photo in wood is one of the best I've seen posted. Hope to see you on the forum often.

CarverJerry
10-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Nice job Johnny, really like how the picture came out, super well, tell us how you did that, I've tried it but it really didn't look right. Thanks, and welcome to the forum

CarverJerry

cpuman
11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Jerry,

Thanks for the compliment! I spent a lot of time in Designer using the blur and quantize features to clear up the picture. Also, I tried raising and lowering the picture until it looked good on the computer monitor. I set the depth to .250 and the height to 100. The photo is carved with the standard carving bit. Also, using a light stain like the Minwax classic oak on the perimeter and the picture against the Minwax dark walnut stain really makes the picture pop! You just have to really work the picture in the software to arrive at a good result.

Johnny

chebytrk
12-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I recently had my CC replaced by Sears (under extended warranty). Machine is running fine and yesterday I replaced the sand paper belts with rubber ones that I had purchased before. They gave me back my rubber belts and left them on the brackets so all I had to do was screw them back in. However, I had a heck of a time re calibrating the x axis board measuring test. I finally got it very close and I've started my first carve (also replaced the QC with the CT and it's working great.. quieter too). So... I woke up at 4am this morning (crazy.. I know) and realized that I had not replaced the new spacer and extra washers in the brass roller bracket to accomodate the rubber belts. I remember doing this when I first purchased the rubber belts along with the instructions on how to do this. So I'm asking out there in "CW Cyberland" if these washers and spacer can be purchased locally or should I just contact our LHR Matron (Connie) and see about placing an order for the washers and spacer. Just trying to avoid the $12.00 shipping for maybe < $5.00 of parts, if at all possible. Wish I needed something else so I could justify the shipping cost, but I don't need anything right now since I just made a purchase for the CT and sanding mop. So.. any suggestions are appreciated. Maybe I'll put the sandpaper belts back on til I need something. It is wierd though how right now I'm running a project and all seems to be fine even though I haven't put in the washers and spacer. I did need to put in a couple of small flat washers under the sliding plate to raise it up just a little due to the thickness of the rubber belt. Other than that, all seems to be running OK. I just don't want to mess anything up especially during the MIDDLE of a carve. :rolleyes:

lynnfrwd
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Checking the specs on it for you Jerry. Will let you know...

lynnfrwd
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Check your email Jerry.

chebytrk
12-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Gracias mi amiga !

Check your email Jerry.