PDA

View Full Version : Cascading Holiday Placards - Project of the Month NOVEMBER 2011

mtylerfl
10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for NOVEMBER 2011), called the Cascading Holiday Placards. Easily customize your Cascading Holiday Placard for any occasion! A Thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas Angel placard are included to get you started. I hope you enjoy incorporating your own designs for your placards. Make a placard for each season and/or holiday using any suitable pattern. It’s a unique and classy way to ‘announce’ any special occasion too (new baby, anniversary, birthday, graduation). Another idea is to hang several placards with the oval cut out to make a “frame” to display family photos (that idea came from Connie at CarveWright - thanks, Connie!)

The project uses just the two bits that came with your machine. No other bits are required. The finished project dimensions are about ¾" x 9" x 13"

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Holiday_Placard_Top-Bottom.mpc
• Thanksgiving-Christmas_Placards.mpc
• Blank_Customizable_Placards.mpc
(for creating custom placards, if desired)

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Top/Bottom: ¾" x 5.5" x 24"
Placards: ½" x 5.5" x 24"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Small hooks and screw eyes, sea sponge (optional for creating "antique patina")

4) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Cascading Holiday Placards made from Poplar and Select Pine:

• Three coats of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
(2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• Sanded between coats
• Two coats full-strength Bullseye Sealcoat
• Applied Krylon Fusion spray paint #2533 Hammered Copper color

Apply “Antique Patina” (optional)
• Brush on thinned Burnt Sienna water-based craft paint
• Immediately wipe off excess with paper towels and dry brush, then dab lightly with a piece of sea sponge for an “uneven” aged effect
• Lightly burnish high-points of carvings with cloth rag or paper towels
• Brush on thinned light/pale green, wipe off excess, etc., and burnish as before
• Apply clearcoat if desired

mtylerfl
10-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Lawrence...so you're up late too, eh? Had to repost...the first time only html was showing...so re-did it. I love that photo you have...I'm going to save that for future use myself!

lawrence
10-28-2011, 11:10 PM
EXTREMELY well done as usual-- great job

and again, congrats on your pattern being highlighted in this month's American Woodworker mag
Lawrence

lawrence
10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
oops, I deleted the pic as it was no longer applicable... I'll put it back on for your future use

mtylerfl
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Got it - thanks!

...yeah, the American Woodworker stuff...nice. Doug H was mentioned, as well. Somehow they spelled my name and Mr. Jim Greco's name wrong...but, that's the way it goes sometimes!

easybuilt
10-28-2011, 11:28 PM
This months pom looks awesome Michael! You are so creative. Thanks!

lynnfrwd
11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I'll get the new POM out tomorrow, I promise.

So, if you missed last months project....order the POM subscription and activate it tonight, because after tomorrow...it ain't $10 no more!

Night,
Lynn

BobC33
11-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Still waiting for the November POM???????? What is the delay????????

lynnfrwd
11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
You should have it now. Sorry!!

b.sumner47
11-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Looks good. Thanks for another good one .

Capt Barry

Gean
11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Okay, deleted the email for the POM from my phone before my computer received it. How do I get to the download area so that I can download it?

Gean

mtylerfl
11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Okay, deleted the email for the POM from my phone before my computer received it. How do I get to the download area so that I can download it?

Gean

Hi Gean,

I think the POM email has the download link in it. I'm not positive of that, but double check your POM email. (I just design the projects...I've never run through the download or license activation of the projects myself and I've not personally seen what the POM emails look like.)

Gean
11-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes the email does have the link but I deleted the email using my phone before my computer checked for new emails, so the link is no longer viewable for me.

Gean

Gean
11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Ah made an end around and found it through my internet provider trash box. Deleted files are set up to be held for 30 days before they're disposed of.

Gean

PCW
11-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Gean

All you need to do is login to the main CW site (http://www.carvewright.com/register) and the link to the POM will be listed toward the bottom of the page. You may have to register if not already.