PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Art

CarverJerry
10-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Ok I seen this guy doing this to some wood at an Ocktober Fest here in our home town. He called it Thunder Art and it was really cool. He told me exactly how to make it, and everything I needed to know to do it. So I picked up an old neon sign transformer that is 12000 Volts @ 30 miliamps. The first thing I did was made a jacobs ladder to show my grand kids...they were impressed at Grandpa since they just seen a Frankstein movie that day and there was one in the movie...then I went on to try it on some wood today. This is just the first time and I'm sure I will figure out what works better for me and the best type of wood too. This is something that has to be done outside because it does smoke a lot so I set it up in my shed. I think it could be used along with the carvewright carvings to give it something the carvewright can't do. This was done in a piece of scrap pine and had to use a little water to help it since it was really a dry piece of wood.

Carverjerry

LittleRedWoodshop
10-25-2011, 06:46 PM
That is very cool Jerry ... can you post some pics of the tools.

CarverJerry
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Not much in the way of tools, just a couple of copper #14 wires hooked up to the transformer, and used a small amount of water to help create a path. Even tried salt water but I think just plain tap water worked best. I also used a brush and tried a spray bottle, each caused different effects. So here are 2 more pictures, the one is with it in operation. I'll see if I can't get a good video of it and put it up on the cnc guild on my pictures (videos).

fwharris
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Simply hair raising!!

LittleRedWoodshop
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Very Cool .. . thank you!

CarverJerry
10-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I just took a look at my video that I made today, not so good as I need to set the camera up on a tripod, so I will make one tomorrow and post a link to it, sorry but I was a bit nervous and the camera showed it. Yeah it's a little hair raising but I'm bald so that doesn't count with me, LOL, but yeah you really have to be careful using this. Here is a site where the guy that showed me how to do this has some pictures of his work. http://www.thunderwoodarts.com This will give you some ideas how he uses it with his work.

CJ

b.sumner47
10-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Very interesting. Capt Barry

kool69sporty
10-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Jerry, I just can't wait to see the video you're doing. I am realy intrigued; I like elec-trickry!!
Joe

CarverJerry
10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok, well I found my tripod for my video camera and made a very short video, it's posted on You Tube, so here's a link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn3hZyyYNNc

CJ

b.sumner47
10-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Jerry, Looks good, real short, but to the point. Works for me. Capt Barry

CarverJerry
10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Sorry it was short but I just wanted to get it out there quickly. BTW, have you ever wanted to save a video off You Tube but couldn't figure out how. Well I happen to find a way, it's free too. Copy the URL then go to www.keepvid.com (http://www.keepvid.com) and past it into their box, the rest is easy to follow. I'll make another (longer) video and post it here again once I get better at this.

CJ

TerryT
10-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Yep, kinda like we did in high school electronics class. Only we would draw a pattern or shape with a pencil and use the transformer to cut out the shape. It was cool. Then there was the aircraft magneto that we put in the drill press and hooked to the door knob....... ah.... well that is another story!!

kool69sporty
10-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Jerry, thnx for the video & link. That is really incredible! How about a pencil trace around a CW carve like Terry mentioned? Wouldn't that be interesting.

Joe

CarverJerry
10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I've played around with using a pencil too. I've got a few ideas for that one too.

CJ

lawrence
10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
LOML says this is very cool-- and that I'm not allowed to try :)

Lawrence

mtylerfl
10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Not much in the way of tools, just a couple of copper #14 wires hooked up to the transformer, and used a small amount of water to help create a path. Even tried salt water but I think just plain tap water worked best. I also used a brush and tried a spray bottle, each caused different effects. So here are 2 more pictures, the one is with it in operation. I'll see if I can't get a good video of it and put it up on the cnc guild on my pictures (videos).

Great video, CJ. Looks like something fun to do! Can you give suggestions on what type transformer to use? ...what are you using?

CarverJerry
10-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Sure, I picked it up on eBay, it is a transformer for a neon sign, 12000 volts and I believe it is 30 mili amp, and is with NO GFI. I'm not the first to ever do this, you can see others on you tube doing it also. But it is a project where you have plenty of ventilation because it does smoke a LOT..... and make sure you turn it OFF before you touch ANYTHING, including the wood.

CJ

Kenm810
10-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi CJ,

Looks like a great addition for some neat projects down the line.
We used to do something similar years back, we always wired a dead mans switch
into the circuitry -- if for any reason I'd take my finger or thumb off the buttons, to touch anything! -- it killed the power instantly.

Only got jolted once that I can remember --- and learned my lesson.

Sallen1215
10-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I must have missed something cause i tried this with a piece of pine and an arc welder, wiped water along the grain pattern ans turned on the welder with copper wire touching the wood as in the video and didn't get any burning at all. What am i missing?

Stephen

TerryT
10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I dont think an arc welder has the horse power. It has bunches more amperage but no where near the voltage. If I remember it takes about 10,000 volts to get that kind of action.

CarverJerry
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Terry's correct, this is the same type of transformer used for making a jacobs ladder, or on a neon sign like you would see in a frankinstine movie, low amps but very high voltage.

CJ

Sallen1215
10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Good thing im in the HVAC business cause i happen to have a oil burner transformer that i make jacobs ladders with for Halloween. Does the wood have to be treated with anything? also most videos i have seen they have pins stuck into the wood as electrodes, is this necessary or can i just lay the conductors on the wood itself?

Thanks for the help Jerry

Stephen

CarverJerry
10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Stallen, as you know some wood has more moisture than other wood. In my video I use 14 g wire that was cut on an angle to form a point. I push it in a little ways which gives it the same as using those straight pins. I've used c-clamps also but are a bit hard to move around. I have put water on some wood, let it sit then wipe it off. I'm just getting started in this so really it's your guess is as good as mine. I've used salt water thinking it makes better conductivity but I'm not sure. The transformer you're thinking about should work, as long as the voltage is high enough.....try it, it's called experminting, but anything you learn that will help me and others here please post it.