PDA

View Full Version : Software

cliffn
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi

Newbie here! Got my machine recently, but had been practicing in the demo software. Loaded my computer with the disk from the new machine and updated and activated it. Everything was working fine. I even carved some practice pieces. Turned out as designed. During all of this, I compiled quite a list of patterns to use in my designe in the Favorites heading under the "Pattern Tool". After creating about 20 projects, and 35 patterns, all of the sudden, my Favorites patterns disappeared. The Library patterns are still there. I tried everything I know to get them back. No Luck! I then tried to call the Carveright Help Desk. No one seemed to be able to answer. Left a message - no one called back yet. Now I have gone to the extreme and removed the software completely, and have installed it green. No Luck on getting at least a blank Favorites category back. It will not even let me create a new category.

Any thoughts will be appreciated as I have a Demo to a potential customer Saturday (tommorow)?

Thanks!

Jon Jantz
01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow... I don't have an answer, but I believe I'll export all my custom patterns now and back them up. That's really bad!

BobHill
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I have no idea about the limitations of the demo program, but I know that I lost my original full version when I downloaded the new version and got the demo saying 0 days left. It removed everything I had done and I was sure I'd lost all my files, but when I got the code to make the demo 1.115 working, there was all my already finished work. A big whew and breath of relief. Thus, I'd guess that your work is still there on your system. I just did a SEARCH (Window Key F) for " *.ptn " and find that all files with that format are those that I've saved in a special folder and don't show what are hidden within the CarveWright program somewhere (even the ones I have put there via Favorites and Library.

Bob

cliffn
01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Yes, all of my downloaded ptn and my project files are intact along with my original art files (jpep, gif, bmp, ect.), as they are saved elsewhere outside of the program. The question also them comes up as to backing up the ptn files that reside in the program. It was mentioned about exporting the ptn file to a backup file. What is the process for that. Is there a particular known directory within Designer that is those files?

Cliff

Jon Jantz
01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Cliff,

You can Right-Click on a pattern file in Designer and export it to a directory. I don't know if you can do more than one at a time, but I'm going to export all my time-consuming patterns to an outside directory in My Documents. That way it'll get backed up along with the rest of my files when I do regular backups.

Might take a few minutes, but not nearly as long as recreating all those patterns!

cliffn
01-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jon,

I'll be doing just the same thing as soon as the Carvewright people get back with me and help me fix the program.

Cliff

cliffn
01-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Something I just found out as I was complety reloading my system with a new Windows XP system. After reloading Designer, I found a file I hadn't seen before. If you will look in your "My Documents" directory, you will find a file called "favorites.mpn". Guess what that is? :D To back up your pattern files in your Designer "Favorites", just back up that file to wherever you back up files that you really don't want to lose.

Cliff

BenCraig
01-21-2007, 05:33 PM
On the 'extreme' of backing up... even if you save the files somewhere else on the hard drive, there is always the dreaded puter crash. If you have a file in which you put a lot of work/time into designing, you might consider saving it to a cd or dvd. There is always the possibility of your computer crashing. Also, if you use a cd-rw or dvd-rw, then you can save the updated files time and time again.

BC