PDA

View Full Version : 1/32 Carving Bit

bergerud
10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Has anybody tried the new 1/32" carving bit (bit in middle) from Soigeneris? I have used 1/32" bits before (bit on left) to re-carve and get higher detail. I have yet to try the new bit. It looks delicate compared to the 1/16" carving bit (bit on right). I bought it to experiment with and I am scared to try it!

liquidguitars
10-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Looks nice...

Icutone2
10-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Hello Bergerud, Sounds like it will do great details. Is this a LHR bit? If so is the machine going to change the feed rate for it?
Thanks, Lee

Jeff_Birt
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
The 1/32" bit is made by PreciseBits. The difficult thing with using non-standard bits on a CarveWright machien is that we don't have control over the feed rate, step over, etc. Doing a recarve as Bergerud mentions is one way of not overloading a smaller bit. If you set the depth slightly deeper on the second carve you may get a bit more detail but you may see some very small lines as well as the step over is still set for a 1/16" bit.

I don't think having the feeds/speeds fixed on the CarveWright machine is a bad thing though. It sure makes the machine a lot easier to use and lets folks get started making great stuff without a huge learning curve.

bergerud
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
This is not a Carvewright bit Lee. That is why I am worried about it breaking if I carve a deep pattern. About the lines Jeff, I have not seen that with the 1/32" recarves that I have done. I forget now but I thought the x feed in optimal was like 1/64". I will have to measure that again.

ktjwilliams
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Never thought I'd hear U say U were scared to try something on UR machine...

lawrence
10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
It would be awfully nice if the software had a "expert" function that would allow a user to access to higher functions for the machine. (skip measuring the board, change speeds/step sizes, etc)

Just a wish I guess, maybe someday
Lawrence

bergerud
10-24-2011, 10:17 PM
With no control, I guess I will just have to try it. I can just imagine the nice new bit plunging into the wood and coming out with no tip. There is no use saving it for recarving, I can use the cheap 1/32" bits that I have many of for that. The point of this bit to me is that it does the whole, more detailed, carve by itself. What is the use of the 1" LOC if I cannot use it. Trial by fire I guess. I will report when I get around to testing it.

sk8nmike
10-26-2011, 04:16 PM
The only real problem I see is that it only has 2 flutes from the look of photo. Means it will only cut half as fast, ie slower rpm from cut motor.

Again as someone already said.....Would be nice if we had access to the speed, or that more bits were added to the program....

bergerud
10-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Actually it has three flutes like the original Carvewright bit I got with my B machine. I would rather have two for better chip clearance. Unless you have a very true spindle, I'll bet only one cutting edge does all the cutting anyway. That was certainly how my old QC worked.

sk8nmike
11-15-2011, 11:58 AM
OK, made a carving using the 1/32 bit. Did a rough carve first with the 1/16 then dropped the depth .05 and carved again. Had no problems with the bit and it does seem to bring out a little more detail.

Might look at using a 3/16 ball to make the draft cut from.

DickB
11-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Cool! What material did you carve?

sk8nmike
11-15-2011, 01:53 PM
I used Corin for this part, it will be fitted into a peice of Ipa to form an inlay..

Alan Malmstrom
11-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I have always thought of the carving bit as shaving a little off the side of each pass and not really plunging exept on the first pass. Maybe you would get the best carve if you set the draft to none and the bit optimization to none.

Alan

b.sumner47
11-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow , that is a very nice carving.

Capt Barry