PDA

View Full Version : another question.

ibewiggin
10-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Still waiting for my parts. Seems UPS has lost them....go figure. Anyways, since I got the machine I would always get the check tracking roller error. I read that is normal and would always push enter to proceed. But is it normal for it to spit and sputter while feeding the board through. It always seemed to carvewright (sorry for the punn) just spit and sputtered while measuring the board, and my old machine would not do that. Is there something I can look at while the machine is apart?

mtylerfl
10-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Still waiting for my parts. Seems UPS has lost them....go figure. Anyways, since I got the machine I would always get the check tracking roller error. I read that is normal and would always push enter to proceed. But is it normal for it to spit and sputter while feeding the board through. It always seemed to carvewright (sorry for the punn) just spit and sputtered while measuring the board, and my old machine would not do that. Is there something I can look at while the machine is apart?

That's not normal. Here's a link to a Tips & Tricks that has notated a few things you might want to check...

ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://forum.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Measured a 36 inch board. Got three different measurements between 37.5 and 39. Head pressure is around 85lbs. Tried loosening up on head until it lost contact with board and did not solve the issue. I do not believe it is a calibration error, but think the measurement is off because of the way it feeds and stops feeds and stops, etc. Now it looks like the brass roller is lower on this new machine than on the old one. It is definitely a different roller! Gonna look at the gear later see if it the gears slipping maybe? Any ideas would be great. I want this guy ready to go!

jaroot
10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Stupid question but have you double checked the belt to make sure it isn't rolled under? Mine got quite aways under before I realized it and that will effect the tracking.

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
It has the rubber belts, supposed to be impossible to roll over. I did just check them however and they are in good repair. now also keep in mind that it only does this while measuring, when it carver, and the movement is smaller it always carved right, and feeds good.

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Let's see if this works, and helps. I am going to attempt to post a link to a video of what it does. Now if you look closely you can see that the belts also stop when the board stops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6uDEorUJqI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AskBud
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
It has the rubber belts, supposed to be impossible to roll over. I did just check them however and they are in good repair. now also keep in mind that it only does this while measuring, when it carver, and the movement is smaller it always carved right, and feeds good.With boards longer than 28 inches, do you use extra support rollers?
AskBud

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 02:16 PM
yes, usually i do. It does not affect how it feeds.

Digitalwoodshop
10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Well, No check Tracking Roller is not Normal.... Check CUT Motor is somewhat normal....

It is possible that when a board is squeezed down that the rubber belts are bulging like Radial Tires and touching the brass roller causing all the Sputtering... At one time a fix for this was to make the brass roller mounting holes OVAL and move the brass roller more toward the center between the belts.....

Masking Tape might help....

Rubber Belts so no roll under....

Good Luck,

AL

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Yay! I figured it out! Well kind of yay. It has a bad gear. It looks as though one of the plastic gears has some bad teeth. Again this is something it has done since new. Luckily I have an extra set of gears. I am just hoping that there is not an underlying issue, cause I only have one set. I am kind of surprised no one else was familiar with this problem, but now we are. Gonna change these gears out, get my flex shaft and motor, and be ready to rock and roll.

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
And I believe I mistook the errors, I think it was the check motor error I was thinking was normal. Woops, so can the bad gear cause the check tracking roller error?

ibewiggin
10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok, so LHR sent out a technician that they thought could speak down to my level, but she was still way more advanced than I could understand. This is what she found.

bergerud
10-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Make sure your rollers and belts roll freely before installing your new gears. You might want to check for dusty, lumpy bearings. When I lost some teeth, I found it took a lot of torque to roll the belts. After a good clean up, they rolled much easier.

bergerud
10-26-2011, 12:05 PM
While you have the x gears exposed, you can do a direct calibration by turning the gears by hand and reading a dial indicator. Search "Direct X Calibration". I was quite pleased with the results. The inaccuracy of the board sensor is by passed by this method.

mtylerfl
10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
While you have the x gears exposed, you can do a direct calibration by turning the gears by hand and reading a dial indicator. Search "Direct X Calibration". I was quite pleased with the results. The inaccuracy of the board sensor is by passed by this method.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here...

ibewiggin
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok, thanks! I will look into this.

bergerud
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Michael, I am referring to an earlier post where I described how I used a dial indicator to do the brass roller calibration instead of the standard method of measuring a board. By turning the x gears by hand and comparing the sensor read out to the dial indicator, I could calibrate to one part in a thousand. It is a very cool procedure which is deserving of a better explanation. Here are the pictures again. To find the original posts, search "direct X calibration".

CarverJerry
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
I tried the direct X calibration but didn't come up with anything, so I did a x calibration and came up with the link you were talking about, I believe.......... http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18432-resetting-X-cal-by-hand&highlight=X+calibration
Is this it, Bergerud?

mtylerfl
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Michael, I am referring to an earlier post where I described how I used a dial indicator to do the brass roller calibration instead of the standard method of measuring a board. By turning the x gears by hand and comparing the sensor read out to the dial indicator, I could calibrate to one part in a thousand. It is a very cool procedure which is deserving of a better explanation. Here are the pictures again. To find the original posts, search "direct X calibration".

Ok, got it. Thanks!