PDA

View Full Version : New Carvewright Competition

bergerud
10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is a CNC machine down at the Carvewright price. The Oliver CNC Intellicarve 1013. I do not really think it is competition but I thought some might find it interesting. I saw it in a woodworking mag and then found it on the web. Note the ER spindle and the locking button. Hmm...

http://www.machineryassociates.com/Oliver-1013-IntelliCarve-Machine-For-Sale-2533

Ike
10-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Looks like it uses a 3/16" carving bit, yet it only showed raised art work carvings. It didn't show any V carvings or carved fonts and has a limited carving area. I still have a new K2 CNC 1424 I bought 3 years ago and before I buy anything else I will learn how to use this one!

Ike

DickB
10-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I like the USB on that machine, and it would be a snap to fit a dust cap for dust collection! On the other hand, I really like and have taken advantage of the CarveWright's ability to work long boards.

Digitalwoodshop
10-23-2011, 02:35 PM
The one video on you tube is 1 year old... Pretty Impressive... eBay has them for a little over $2K plus Shipping. Longer boards could be indexed... The V Carve Centerline Text is a good question.... But the Software is really the answer to that.. I can't imagine that V carve can't be done... I wonder if it can do small resolution small V carve letters like name tags?

With a DC Brushless Motor I bet it could be used in a Garage and not bother the Neighbors.... Bet it is Quiet...

AL

DickB
10-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Yup, indexing would work. Found this, looks to be the same machine and software: http://generalcnc.ca/i_carver_getting_started There is a converter program for Vectric software.

bergerud
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Notice in the video how the y speed has to slow down whenever z movement is required. That is the price of having a heavy motor in the carriage . The Carvewright can carve much faster with the light truck and flex shaft. Note also that the maximum depth of carve is still only an inch for the Oliver 1013. (Dick, I think it might be hard to install a dust cap. The cap would move up and down with the truck instead of staying just above the work.)

bergerud
10-25-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess the General CNC iCarver is competition. I see they are at KMS Tools now. This was the hope for a Canadian Carvewright distributor.

lynnfrwd
10-26-2011, 11:02 AM
I think the iCarver is only competition to the CW, because it is available in Canada. It has very limited project space and is a stepper motor instead of a servo motor, meaning it is much slower and can lose it's place if pushed by depth or speed. It doesn't have the intelligence of the CW to alert you with an error message. It is very limited software-wise and more expensive.

edzbaker
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
And, I didn't see a way to carve on "ROUND STOCK" with it,, but I might have missed that.....

Digitalwoodshop
10-26-2011, 12:24 PM
With a stationary upper gantry and a moving table below, I believe that a similar jig could be designed and do round stock. The Stock jig would need Air clamps on 4 corners to hold the rolling stock to the Carrier Friction Board.... I expect you will see your Jig Theory copied shortly in machines like this...

So picture the same jig with 4 air cylinders on the corners attached to the machine table or frame squeezing a sand paper covered board that drives under the wood blank.

Another advantage of this version is that you would be able to place any thickness of Blank in the machine and the Air Lock would stop at the wood blank. 4 smooth uprights would be good too as it would keep the frame from tilting.

Great Idea....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I asked if I could carve small text as in a name tag? Looks like it will do it...... Should ask for a sample....

"We can provide a machine / software solution for the application you describe.

Here is what you will need.
40-915x M1
V-Carve Pro software upgrade
The key to being able to create a flat cutting. To do so lay down a sacrificial piece of MDF and run a surfacing program. This will give you a flat surface to within .002" which should allow you to engrave to lettering to around 8-10 points depending on the font.

Total cost is under $5K.

Let me know if you need more info.

Steve Stevenson
Director of marketing
General CNC

Steve Stevenson
Director of Marketing
General CNC
(519) 282-9062"

edzbaker
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Cool, Maby they will commit patent infringment. I need some money.

Ed