PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Presents

edzbaker
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I guess it's time to think about Christmas presents already. I received SEVEN Cane orders yesterday. (all wanting them to give as Christmas presents) I will post pic's when I get them finished, just to get this thread started.

Ed

Here they are, All seven completed and clear coated, hanging from the Ceiling fan on my back porch. Just over three hours carving time each, done on an "A" machine with NO upgrades..without any hic-ups at all.

SIX are Cedar, and one is Cherry.

Tom75
10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
good job . how did you get the carveing on the round part ?

Digitalwoodshop
10-25-2011, 11:25 PM
ED !!!! Fantastic WORK......

Now all we need is a line of 3D Xmas Ornaments, 3 at a time with one blank...

Tom,

It is the NEW Rotary Jig..... Look for the Post "The Cat's Out of the Bag" from a few weeks ago and HUNDREDS of daily posts.....

The Wood Blank rolls in the machine like a rolling pin between the sand paper belts....

He cuts the cane off and inserts the carved area into the CW. When done he glues it back on matching the Grain Marks and you never see the glue line....

The T top handle is also glued after the fact.... A few months ago someone posted a DUCK head he was cutting for the T head on regular Cains before the Jig...

AL

geekviking
10-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Awesome! How long did the carving take of the bikini, and what's in it? :P

James RS
10-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I guess it's time to think about Christmas presents already. I received SEVEN Cane orders yesterday. (all wanting them to give as Christmas presents) I will post pic's when I get them finished, just to get this thread started.

Ed

Here they are, All seven completed and clear coated, hanging from the Ceiling fan on my back porch. Just over three hours carving time each, done on an "A" machine with NO upgrades..without any hic-ups at all.

SIX are Cedar, and one is Cherry.

I have to ask what's the story with the plaque on the wall in the background,are you having your own version of A Christmas Story?
The canes look great!

edzbaker
10-26-2011, 07:21 AM
ha ha... the plaque on the wall was actually a 60th birthday present from a friend. They all said that I was so Old that all I can do now is look, and remember the good times.....
That is not true.. I still eat popcorn ! (The popcorn waggon is all wood and made with the CW)

Thanks for the comments..

Ed

CarverJerry
10-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Ed, did you also use the rotary jig to make the handles?

CJ

edzbaker
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
No, Jerry I made the cane handles by hand. Occasionally I make some cane handles using "two sided carves" with the CW, but mostly I make them by hand. People tell me that a carved handle just doesn't add much to a Custom Carved Cane. I'm not bragging, but Many of the cane owners have described their canes as "Beautiful pieces of art". Naturally, that makes me feel good.

Thanks..

Ed

wgrigsby
12-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi Ed

I thought I'd add my two cents. I just got my jig and have read the manaul, very interresting. I'm a retired Die Maker from G.M. and have ran a lot of very large metal working machines making other machines and when I saw how your jig worked I wondered why it took so long for someone to figure this out. But that's the was all new things are once somebody has taking the time to figure it out. Good job.

I haven't made anything with it yet, having problems with board tracking in both X & Y repeating that I want to fix first. there is one thing that I don't understand & I'll read the instructions again. It's abput board thickness, how and when does the CW pick up the top of the dowel? From what I understand the bit should plunge right through the dowel down to the thickness of the board that drives the dowel??? It's most likely me not understanding every thing I know about It.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this.

AskBud
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Ed

I thought I'd add my two cents. I just got my jig and have read the manaul, very interresting. I'm a retired Die Maker from G.M. and have ran a lot of very large metal working machines making other machines and when I saw how your jig worked I wondered why it took so long for someone to figure this out. But that's the was all new things are once somebody has taking the time to figure it out. Good job.

I haven't made anything with it yet, having problems with board tracking in both X & Y repeating that I want to fix first. there is one thing that I don't understand & I'll read the instructions again. It's abput board thickness, how and when does the CW pick up the top of the dowel? From what I understand the bit should plunge right through the dowel down to the thickness of the board that drives the dowel??? It's most likely me not understanding every thing I know about It.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this.Re-read page #3. Half way down the 2nd column is where you see the change.
AskBud