PDA

View Full Version : How much is too tough for the Carvewright?

Schramm
10-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I have been doing some homework on how these work and how to make patterns for this type of a machine and testing it with really good luck. Below you will see what my question is all about. I have taken some Victorian/Art Nouveau poster images and rasterized the posters so that they would work with the machine, but now my question is this too much for the machine to handle? I would think the Pin Up one would be easier for the machine while the Art Nouveau poster may just be too much. Can you let me know as I do not want to burn the machine up.

Thanks
Rob

dbfletcher
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Neither of those look all that taxing on the machine. Carving is just really taking tiny bites (although a whole lot of em) out of the material. Some of the vector operations we ask the machine to do can be pushing it to its limits at time, but I wouldnt worry about either of those that you posted.

fwharris
10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Rob,

If you use the optimal setting when you upload the project to the card it should not be a problem. The feed rate with optimal is slower and works best for patterns with lots of detail as in your Art Nouveau pattern...

cestout
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
You really only have to worry about too much for the machine when you carve deep. For the Treasure Chest in the pattern store using the 5/4 top, I pre-carve to remove much of the wood before doing the detail carve at max carving depth.
Clint

mtylerfl
10-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Hello,

The machine will handle it, no problem.

However, due to the quality (textured/roughness) of the patterns (especially the first one), you will notice a lot of "pecking" during the carving operation because of all the anomalies inherent in the bitmap conversion. The second pattern looks a little better so you probably won't have as much of the "pecking" during the carve of that one. Really hard to tell from the photo how much is "texture" and how much is simply detail contained in the pattern itself, so I may be "all wet" as far as the anomalies are concerned.

Raw bitmap conversions are prone to this and often can be improved with some smoothing in the CarveWright Pattern Editor. If you have that, you may want to try the smoothing - don't overdo it though - I have seen a lot of what I call "melted chocolate" style patterns!

Digitalwoodshop
10-19-2011, 07:58 PM
A trick that our Cross Road Trucker Carve Buddy ChrisAlb taught me was to rotate the .mpc and position it like looking down the face of a Quarter like looking at Grass from the ground view. All the .jpg junk will show up a jagged stuff....

Making good Pattern Like Art is something that I have not mastered and is in my opinion the hardest part... I but my patterns....

This will be a good learning project for you.... I spent a whole day trying to make a Bear from a .jpg back in 2007 and it looked like a door matt.... I bought one and never looked back....

Some break down parts of your artwork and make them into Centerline Text Functions...

Good Luck,

AL

Here is a Post Started by ChrisAlb in 2008 with many posts and just happened to show up in todays active posts... It will give you options for your project. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?6546-From-Clip-Art-To-Carving