PDA

View Full Version : 1/16 cutting bit for creating puzzle

Sallen1215
10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about using my carvewright instead of the scroll saw for a puzzle keepsake, first i glue the photo onto the 1/2in Baltic birch and then i usually sandwich a different 1/8 in board with the pattern glued on. this is a very time consuming process and i was curious if i could do the same thing with the 1/16 in bit and a vector line drawing making passes at about 1/16" increments. has anyone tried this technique? here is what i would be using basically to make the vector 48132

Stephen

dbfletcher
10-17-2011, 09:07 PM
I tried similiar things, but unless you make two copies and offset the bit for each path, you will end up with very loose fitting pieces.

Digitalwoodshop
10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I would give it a shot... But I would lock the feed rate into 1st gear by designing the path with a 1/16 end mill then select the 1/4 inch bull nose in designer. That will prevent the 1/16 inch end mill from shifting into 2nd gear and snapping the bit....

1/2 inch is pretty thick... I would try it a little thinner.... I have the punched Cardboard that I can Color Print on... Done with Sublimation the same that I use for Fire Tags, Coffee Cups and more...

Here are pictures of the Hardboard Laser cut blanks that I can print on with Sublimation and a Heat Press. Also the thin cardboard versions... I have the thin Heart and the thin Rectangle... When I bought them in 2007 they did not have the clipboard version or hardboard version. They are NOT Cheap...

AL