PDA

View Full Version : Back roller fault on board of 52 inches in length What is the fix?

onearmedwoodworker
10-16-2011, 06:13 PM
My current project is 51.80 inches long X 13.869 inches wide and 3.5 inches thick. It is a piece of red cedar that I have placed in a carrier. The piece of cedar is a slice of a trunk. It has been planed and I have taped the voids to create the illusion of one smooth whole piece. When I start the project I select not to stay under the rollers and then it starts to measure the project. It starts moving to thr left (facing the display) and goes to the end of the board with no errors. Then it starts the measuring to the right. It stops each time with only measuring to the same point and then gives the error message. The piece stops repeatedly with 17 inches protruding from the right side. I have ther piece supported at both ends with material support rollers. I have checked to make sure that the piece is level all throughout the measuring process. It measures the board once completely to provide me me with exact measurements as I am attempting to locate lettering in specific areas of the cedar to be carved. When I replaced the actual \board measurements onto the project and uploaded is where the error came into play when I tried to run the project through again. I have placed and replaced masking tape on the bottom edge, checked and cleaned the edge sensor, throughly cleaned the rollers and their endcaps with no change in the resultsd. ANY SUGGESTIONS?48101

edzbaker
10-16-2011, 06:37 PM
From what I can see it appears that the actual letter size is only about 26 inches in total length. I would set the letters up on a board in designer about 28 inches in length, and use the correct (Actual) board in the machine, "Keep Under Rollers" and "Center on length." I did notice that the "Profile" of the carving makes the letters look Odd, but I guess that is what you wanted.
Maby someone with more expierence with LARGE signs will chime in with Expert Advice.

Ed

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2011, 07:24 PM
I would use the place on END or Corner selection and measure from the tip of the board to where you want the text. Then in Designer measure or draw a box the length you measured and place the right edge of the box on right side of Designer letting the Left side show you in Designer where you want the text. Adjust the text to the box you drew then delete it.... That takes the Guess work out of positioning the text.... Especially if you STALL and FATAL ERROR..... YOU can start over and it will go back to the same place the 2nd time.

The Machine will only measure once... Using Place on End... You can even make the left side of your board in Designer slightly longer than the Text location. And continue to use NOT stay under Rollers... And make sure you have dead wood not carved on the right side of designer to manually stay under the rollers.

Remember the Board WEIGHT.... And If you don't have them... You should have a few extra X Gears NOW before you snap a gear on a weekend.... Cut Motor Brushes, FFC Cable.... Sand Paper Belts if you use them....

Good Luck,

AL

onearmedwoodworker
10-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the advice. The actual board is 50"+, but thecarving area is only 27". This is a slice of a red cedar tree trunk that is being carved as a yard sign outside a friend's home. Thank you again as it gave me something to chew on that might lead to a solution.

onearmedwoodworker
10-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Great idea! I guess sometimes it is still wiser to think inside the box. Thaank you also for the spare parts idea. Have most of suggestted, but had planned on ordering the rest today. I have found the heavy duty belts to be quite adventageous as I have carved a multitude of hardwoods of varying thickness and it does track a who;e lot better than with the sandpaper belts. I use 1/2" MDF for the carrier and the project piece is 2-3" red cedar. The weight is seven pounds. Where are the weight perameters provided? I am aware of the width, length and heigth, but have never seen any mention of weight restrictions. Also, are there Centerline Text letter size limitations or somewhere to go where one might be able to figure out the depth of cut on a Centerline text item as I do not recall seeing any depth deminsions being a part of the description in the "format boxes(Height, Length, width, Depth,Pierced)?"

mtylerfl
10-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Hello,

Weight limit is 20 lbs.

Here is a link to an online calculator that may be helpful for determining depth of cut when centerline v-carving.

http://www.1728.org/angsize.htm

AskBud
10-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Great idea! I guess sometimes it is still wiser to think inside the box. Thaank you also for the spare parts idea. Have most of suggestted, but had planned on ordering the rest today. I have found the heavy duty belts to be quite adventageous as I have carved a multitude of hardwoods of varying thickness and it does track a who;e lot better than with the sandpaper belts. I use 1/2" MDF for the carrier and the project piece is 2-3" red cedar. The weight is seven pounds. Where are the weight perameters provided? I am aware of the width, length and heigth, but have never seen any mention of weight restrictions. Also, are there Centerline Text letter size limitations or somewhere to go where one might be able to figure out the depth of cut on a Centerline text item as I do not recall seeing any depth deminsions being a part of the description in the "format boxes(Height, Length, width, Depth,Pierced)?"
Each font has its own depth, which may be increased by applying BOLD, or enlarging the text.
The "V" bits have a limit (maximum depth) before they reach the edge of their angle.
The best way to know how deep your centerline text will be, is to design you text and then, while still highlighted place your mouse pointer on the white line (in the widest areas of various letters) and review the right-most numbers in the lower left of your design screen. This should show the depth of those points.

Remember that wider is normally deeper, and that too much deepness could stress the cutter and machine!
AskBud

onearmedwoodworker
10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the tip on the depth/angle site!

onearmedwoodworker
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I have noticed that it is a good way to dull the bits quickly when carving deep and wide lettering in hardwoods!