PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 question

dondup
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I just received the 3/16 carving bit, the designer software lists a 3/16 ballnose are they the same bit?
Also, I understood that the bit would carve to a depth of 1 inch but when I list the 3/16 ballnose and try to change the depth to 1" it defaults to .808 . How do I get a 1" cut?

lynnfrwd
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Carving is .8. Cutting is 1".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Ballnose is carving bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dondup
10-14-2011, 10:05 PM
So max carve depth is .8 and no deeper?

dbfletcher
10-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Thats correct. At one time it used to be 1" for carving and cutting, but I don't recall witch version of the firmware/designer it changed in but they scaled back the carving depth.

dondup
10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
So, that means I can only carve contours .8 or less in height and anything greater is not possible. Is this due to the limit of the Z axis travel?
The reason for asking is I would like to profile half of a flask shape with a max height of 1.25 inches, I was able to probe the shape fine but cannot cut the complete profile.
By the way thanks for all the help.

lawrence
10-15-2011, 09:44 AM
it is possible with the STL importer to carve the shape in multiple carves. If you have the STL importer and pattern editor (I'm assuming since you have the probe you already have the pattern editor) From the pattern Editor you export your PTN as an STL and then import it with the STL importer The STL importer can "slice" the pattern into two (or more) pieces so that you can carve deeper than the .8 max depth.

Lawrence

AskBud
10-15-2011, 09:50 AM
it is possible with the STL importer to carve the shape in multiple carves. If you have the STL importer and pattern editor (I'm assuming since you have the probe you already have the pattern editor) From the pattern Editor you export your PTN as an STL and then import it with the STL importer The STL importer can "slice" the pattern into two (or more) pieces so that you can carve deeper than the .8 max depth.

LawrenceGo here to view the STL lessons.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/tutorials.php
AskBud