PDA

View Full Version : x-axis repeatability - testimonial

mgsundgaard
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
I was having problems when cutting multiple parallel slots. The slots are curved and the board would go too far back to start position before making the next cut. Each slot was out of position on the x-axis by about 1/8 in.
After cleaning thouroughly, changing the belts end-for-end to get fresh belt material, cleaning the encoder on the belt drive motor, new o-rings it still did the same thing. I searched the forum for similar problems and found that someone suggested removing the o-rings from the board tracking roller and applying masking tape to the underside of the sled to contact the roller.
Problem was solved ....the repeatability went from disastrous to excellent. Good fix!!!

See Picture.47918

Digitalwoodshop
10-10-2011, 02:23 PM
And something else that would pay for itself the very first time you got a EXCELLENT Carving with no errors is to add 4 inches of blank area to your Designer Artwork. That way you select to NOT stay under the rollers and with the dead area on each end of 4 inches you would never be out from under the rollers manually. What happens is sometimes when the board comes out from under the roller while cutting it raises up and the brass roller looses contact until the board is under the roller again... The brass roller tracks the board in X and is the heart of any y errors.

Nice pattern? A Vent Cover?

OR you can place a extra 4 inches on the right side of designer and leave the board long.... Cut it off with the end of each project so you only loose in your case about 2 inches of wood.

Good Job,

AL

mgsundgaard
10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Not a vent cover, I actually cut the ends off and use the pieces in some unique jewelry products I am making. Long story. I actually mount these in a sled as they are only 1/8 in. thick and the sled is 3.5 inches longer on each end so that the project stays under the rollers.

Thanks for the comments.

Digitalwoodshop
10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
WOW... And looks like you are doing all the right things....

Since this is what you are doing, I offer a suggestion to get smoother cuts....

Same artwork just assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit but cut it with the same 1/8 inch bit or even switch to the 1/16 cutting bit (End Mill Type) By selecting the 1/4 inch bull nose, the bit feed rate will lock into 1st gear and not switch to the faster 2nd gear that cuts more aggressive. I use the 1/16 end mill cutting bit for my Fire Tags and it is smooth....

It will take longer to cut but less sanding...

Good Luck,

AL