PDA

View Full Version : oops!

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Sitting in the E.R. Was up in the woodshop getting some wood ready for when I get my parts. My eyes started itching, my wife looks at me and said wow! We are going to the hospital. Started having a little trouble breathing. Don't know what kind of wood it was. My grandfather left it to me when he passed. My face is huge!

AskBud
10-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Sitting in the E.R. Was up in the woodshop getting some wood ready for when I get my parts. My eyes started itching, my wife looks at me and said wow! We are going to the hospital. Started having a little trouble breathing. Don't know what kind of wood it was. My grandfather left it to me when he passed. My face is huge!Did you take a piece of it to the hospital? It may have helped the lab, and others know the actual cause.
AskBud

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Yes, I brought it. They don't want to see it though. He said he wouldn't know what is was unless it was stamped on it.

LittleRedWoodshop
10-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Zebra wood does that to me ... I found out the hard way. I had a piece of it in my lap sanding on it. Hope you feel better ...

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I am home. My face is still swollen. I am a little scared to go back up to my shop. Does wear a respirator and gloves keep you from having a reaction? I need to figure out what kind of wood it is too.

easybuilt
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Glad your home and doing better. Be careful in that shop and thanks for the reminder for the rest of us. I had no idea zebra wood could be a problem.

DaveN
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Heres a website that has a large Wood Allergies and Toxicity database http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/ This mite help you identify the wood.

Kenm810
10-10-2011, 11:43 AM
You can add MDF "Medium or High Density fiber Board" to the list,
some folks have posted that they've had bad Eye and respiratory
reactions to the "MDF Dust" in their shops.

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
So when working with these woods, would a respirator and glove eliminate the reaction. People obviously still usethese woods. I am very worried about going back up there.

Kenm810
10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Back in 2006, when I first got my CompuCarve Macine, I made the mistake of trying to
carve some old Dried Deck boards into simple Welcome Signs with a little text and
a few patterns on them --- (Bad Idea) Being new to the machine I was right there with my face
6" from the clear plastic lid watching my carve do it's magic without a decent dust collector attached -- "Who Knew"
Within minutes my eyes were itching, my nose was running, and my face and exposed arms felt like they were on fire.
I shut of the machine, got got out of the shop, and flooded my face and eyes with water.
I started feel better about 20 minutes later -- no more cutting or carving Treated Wood in the shop for me,
plus I install a proper dust and chip collector system and a negative air system that can vent any dust or paint
fumes in the shop air to the outside in as little as 10 minute while someone is working in the shop.

"Carve Safe so You can -- Enjoy Carving"

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah I am definitely goons have to spring for dust collection, and air filter for my shop. It was scary. They sent me home, but my face is still all swollen. Had my neighbor look at the wood. He thinks it is Tennessee cedar, but it doesn't look as bright as all the Tennessee cedar I have seen.

TerryT
10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
A respirator is a MUST! If the wood has been there a long time it could be something else, like years of dust settled on the wood or even mouse droppings. Make sure your shop is well ventilated when you clean that wood out.

GrammaPam
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
What a shock! Even though "we've heard of it" one sort of lets their guard down occasionally. Hope you are continuing to improve. Not all woods are used for the same purpose (like carving) Several of the people I have known that worked in logging developed allergies or reactions to cedar and another common northwest wood that has just now slipped my mind. After a reaction it seems to get worse more quickly and more severly. It's especially difficult since not everyone has the same reaction. I was out of computer reach when this thread started. How are you doing now?
G.P.

Added P.S.
Talk about a double shock!!! The other wood is hemlock! I often use and prefer hemlock since I can get it easily, it's not much more expensive, much nicer grained and better grade than the pine from the local chain store. Socrates drank hemlock! You may have saved my life, IB. I do hope you are better.

b.sumner47
10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Hope everything is better for you now. THANK YOU, for passing that on to us.
Capt Barry

ibewiggin
10-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes, I am doing better. Face is still swollen a bit. My wife went up there and cleaned all my mess up. She got tired of hearing me whine about not being able to go up there. I am hoping that it was the wood. I can't think of anything else it could have been. I am going to take a scrap to have it identified next time I go to buy some supplies. I really want to know what kind of wood it is, and make sure to avoid it and all related types. I have heard of it before, I never really thought about it that much. Learned my lesson, that is for sure.

lawrence
10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Man, I am glad you're doing better- wood allergies are scary and cedar has very fine dust. Hope all stays well for you and thanks for letting us know

Lawrence

sent from my droid using tapatalk