PDA

View Full Version : Centerline font.

pontiak
01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I only have the outline,raster fonts.I need the centerline fonts to work on one of my projects. Can they be found for the machine? Thanks Mike S. Westville N.J.

David M.
01-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Rumer has it the center line feature is an upgrade on the software, not included in the base software that comes with the machine.

pontiak
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Dave. I just called customer service. They want to sell me the upgrade.GET THIS $495 dollars. I just want the centerline font. I don't need all the other stuff. You would think for $1800 dollars you would get it all. :cry:

David M.
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
What else come's with it? Would this be considered a full upgrade, will you have the full program?.

pontiak
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I shouldn't have said sell me. She said with in the next month there will be the full upgrade software.But it is $495. I just want the centerline font. There gona call me back in a few minutes. Lets see what they say.

David M.
01-19-2007, 12:07 PM
I have used my centerline alot and it is a great feature. When I first started testing it was very rough with many of the installed fonts, but after a couple upgrades of software and they seemed to have workrd the bugs out. Works nice now.

pontiak
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Were you one of the first to have the machine? Is your fromat BETA? He told me the centerline font was only on the first runs. Is there any way I can download that font?

David M.
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I am a beta tester and it's not just a font, its a program that is applied to the fonts installed. So it's not so simple as that. What are you triing to do?

pontiak
01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I engrave car parts. First I make a stencil with the carvewright machine. Then put the stencil on a metal engraving machine. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/mikie46/DSCI0009.jpg

pontiak
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
They just called me back. You can buy the CENTERLINE text for $50 From them.They will post it on there website. GREAT! Thanks CarveWright. :D

David M.
01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Well that's a good price and I know others were looking for this cabability as well. It does do a nice job.

Post some images of what you might be doing in the GALLERY, we love to see what people come up with for the nmachine to do.

Digitalwoodshop
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Centerline for 50 bucks, Sign me up.... AL

mtylerfl
01-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeh, sign me up for the centerline option too for the 50 bucks, I guess.

Of course, it is painfully obvious to us all that the centerline feature should certainly be included as part of the basic software.

When routing letters, it is a "given" that we should be able to utilize a centerline functionality. Kind of a no-brainer, I believe.

Maybe CW should rethink this and make this very "expected" feature available as a free update to the software.

pontiak
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I second that Mike!!The one font I really need. And it is not on the machine. :roll:

rgant05
01-20-2007, 07:05 PM
I thought the centerline function of cutting font was and still is advertised as being the capability of the machine as it is bought from Sears. Seems like this should be addressed as and "oh well we goofed... here it is" basis. There will be plenty more to sell us in the future.... don't try to sell us something that we have already paid for

(Quote from CarveWright.com advertisement)
Text
The CarveWright design software has extensive text capabilities. You can raster in text for a bold 3D effect. You can outline the text using a variety of bits. You can even single path the text using a V bit for an engraved look that can be carved quickly. There are no special fonts needed. The design software uses the true type fonts already on your computer. Creating one of a kind signs has never been easier.

Isn't "single path the text using a v-bit" the centerline function of cutting text? :shock:

newcarver
01-21-2007, 08:24 AM
I understand the need to make money on this machine, but give me a break. Is every upgrade and fancy feature giong to cost. Wow!!!!!
$500 for the upgrade....
I think for the initial investment you should at least get what the trial software had. That was nothing more than a tease. Baiting us to buy then charge more for what we have already used. For this you might as well just keep installing and reinstalling the trial software.
I am not trying to make a big thing about this, I am simply stating the fact that these options make this machine what is is. Have we paid $1800 for the machine and many more $'s for the software yet to come??

glh
01-21-2007, 10:13 AM
:( I agree, I bought the machine to engrave a logo on cabinet parts using center line text. If I have to buy more software to do this, the machine will be returned.

BobHill
01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Just a thought, guys, but have you ever priced other CNC machines against what they will do, what you get, and compared their costs besides?

http://www.shopbottools.com/files/PriceList.pdf

Special Deal: http://www.technocnc.com/cncrs/cncdeals.asp

USED 4x4 (1996 new) sign maker: http://www.cncrouterstore.com/detail_info.php?num=8453

Do a Goggle on "CNC Routers" and compare.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

good2go
01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
My POV, yes the carvewright/compucarve is a hobbist/entry level machine and appears to be a good value for the money.

But,

Some of us might find that nitch and make lots of money and upgrade to a commerical unit and some of us will just be happy with the carvewright.

But, most of us would not have spent $10,000 to play around with a computer controlled router yet we bite the bullet and spend the $2000 or so for a carvewright.

Carverwright might consider free or reasonably priced ($50) software upgrades. I would hope they have a reasonable profit margin on the carvewright machine itself. I know it costs to design software, yet the profit margin on downloading is 100%, yes I know they have to pay the tech support people.

Yet, I feel that they would sell many many more units by having yearly or so $50 software upgrades as opposed to $500 upgrades.

When a friend or business associate asked about a carvewright, more of them would go out an buy one if they knew the software was $50 for a upgrade as opposed to $500.

I just found out about the carvewright last week and have downloaded the trial software with plans to purchase a unit in the near future. Now upon learning that future software upgrades might be $500, I am going to reconsider this purchase.

I personally will not spend $2000 plus (i want the scanner) knowing that I have to spend $500 approximately 1/4 of the purchase price to upgrade the software...and then spend it again and again or use the unit with the original software, knowing each time I use it I don't have the upgrade.

I use the Delorme mapping software and GPS, they reasonably price the basic mapping software $40 plus shipping and I buy it year after year..

Some might call me cheap, that is ok, works for me... but that is why I can go out and buy a carvewright if I want one...

Then again, that is just me. YMMV.
zed

Jeff_Birt
01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Also, keep in mind that when you buy most other CNC machines, you get just that, only the machine. With the CW you get a really nice machine and pretty decent SW.

If you have to also purchase a seperat CAD/CAm program it can get expensive really fast. I use AutoCAD, Inventor, MasterCAM, SurfCAM, etc at work. Each package can run several thousand by itself. And then you get all the fun of trying to figure out how to do surfaces in a normal CAM package, YUK!

So, just try to put things in perspective. If you can't live with rasterized text, spending the extra $50 for that option is not a big deal. Look at it this way, Dell advertises computers for sale and tells you all the cool things you can do with a computer; make movies, do your taxes, etc. If you buy one it comes with an operating system and a few other programs (maybe). Would you return the PC because it did not come with software package 'X'.

newcarver
01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Your points are noted and valid, but we are not buying a cnc router or a new dell. I'm buying a $2000 garage sized tool wich is advertised with these options. Add on all of the issues such as crashes, errors, bad memory cards, loose nuts and bolts, etc, and your common woodworker is going to have a hard time justifying and or accepting these issues. Also sears has no knowledge on anything to do with the machine. CW is a small company with limited capabilities in handleing all of the issues.
I'm not saying that its a horrible deal, or bad investment. All i'm saying is I expected alot more carving and alot less issues.
I have worked on computers for years and yes, there are alot of problems. If i sold a computer for 2 grand to anyone and it simply did not work when they got it, I would sell no more due to bad word of mouth. I also test at all aspects of these machines before they leave my house, and do not advertise software wich is not included.

Jeff_Birt
01-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Just to nit-pick...

Your points are noted and valid, but (1) we are not buying a cnc router or a new dell. I'm buying a $2000 garage sized tool wich is (2) advertised with these options.

(1) The CW IS a CNC router, it's computer controled and routes. (2) I think 'options' is the operative word here.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just want eveybody to stop, think and put things in perspctive. Most of all go out and carve something. I've had my machine a month and have only just begun to comprhend all the things that can be done with it. Enjoy....

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
A suggestion would be that all shipments from China go through a USA Clearing House. This would be a place where each machine is taken out of the box, inspected and operated by CERTIFIED Carve Wright Technicians. All Firmware upgraded and checked, the units would be certified as passing the entrance tests and THEN passed on to the shipping chain. I certainly wouldn't mind getting my NEW unit with sawdust in it from a 100% QUALITY CHECK having been done. And a bright BOLD sticker on the unit "This Unit Serial Number 12334567 Proudly Inspected by # 5 in the USA on 13 January 2007" and "My Supervisors number is 555-123-4567. if you have any questions"

When I worked for Sony at the Picture Tube plant in San Diego they took a percentage of units off the assembly line, TV's and Monitors, and did 100% quality checks. They had a room that the units operated for a period of time to check reliability. The tested units were then sold as B Class Stock in Sony outlet stores as they were now "Used". I feel a 100% QA Check in the USA would provide me with a NEW unit and the confidence to trust it.

At this time I would suggest a 100% Quality and Operational checks be performed for ALL incoming units from China. At some point when the tracking data supports it, scale back to a percentage of the units. At this point Carve Wright is NOT getting what they are paying for from China. What they need is 100% feedback to fix the supply chain, this will benefits everyone. The initial cost of a 100% QA program would pay for itself in time in higher sales and Customer Satisfaction. A 2 week delay in getting my NEW - TESTED - CERTIFIED unit is much better than having to send it back and wait for it's return. I am thinking of getting a second unit as I believe I will have the business to support two machines. Carve On.....

I bet some of you guys are wondering what I am smoking.....
It's the Retired Navy Chief in me.... OK for the Navy guys, Liberty is Secured until this problem is fixed, and the "Beating's" will continue until Moral Improves.....

LOL. AL

PS: I have seen a 80% increase in XXX Spam since signing up to this board and listing my e mail.... Technology.....

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree that if the machine is advertised to do something, it should do it. And if it takes an upgrade to get there, than anyone who made the purchase while such an advertisement was in place should receive a free upgrade to make it do what they were led to believe it can/should do.

That being said, there are work arounds, especially if you are using a simple font like pontiak's part numbering. The setup I made here took less than 2 minutes to create, using connected lines and arcs then selecting a bit size. Its a little more work, especially if you are doing several words, but it is a workaround for centerline font. If its something you will be doing frequently, then make a sample board with all 24 letters and 10 numbers, and then cut-and-paste into your actual projects.

pkunk
01-21-2007, 03:14 PM
[b]

PS: I have seen a 80% increase in XXX Spam since signing up to this board and listing my e mail.... Technology.....
Hint-remove your email by going to your profile & unchecking it.

Kurtsara
01-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I downloaded the demo at least a couple months ago that has centerline option, I gave to a few buddies to load onto there computer when I tell them to, so they don't all expire at the same time, then I make something on my program and email to them and have them change it to centerline, the only thing is once I get it back from them I cannot change the words because all I have are outline and rastor to click if I change the words.

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Lets see AOL lets you have 6 AOL accounts.....

Marzluf
01-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Wow....... $495.

What really bothers me is the lack of drawing tools that I have showing on my software, but can't use. Now, I understand their desire to make some extra profit from package upgrades on the software, but I think the way they're splitting it up is a big mistake.

IMHO, The drawing features should have ALL been included with the original software. I see basic CAD features such as Offset, Copy Offset, Vertical, Horizontal etc..etc.. listed in my customize list but can't use them. These aren't special upgrades in my book, they're part of basic drawing commands that otherwise make drawing many objects a PITA.

I would have hoped that the package upgrades would have pertained more to extended libraries of detailed figures and patterns broken up into categories (animals, symbols, architecture, etc) and available for seperate purchase. Instead, I feel like I have an incomplete drawing program. Like I paid for a sports car that has a 6 on the stick shift but only 5 gears. There is no mention of these items being "for future purchase". The help menu even shows steps on how to use items in your customize list and uses one of these "unavailable" tools as an example. I racked my brain for 2 days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and why I couldn't get them added to my tools list. Called CS for answers but haven't received a return call yet. Understandably, they're busy with other things and I'm not upset that I haven't talked to them yet. NOW though, I'm a little dissapointed in the way they have marketed the software.

This may play a big role in wether I keep my machine or not...

BenCraig
01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
IMHO, The drawing features should have ALL been included with the original software. I see basic CAD features such as Offset, Copy Offset, Vertical, Horizontal etc..etc.. listed in my customize list but can't use them. These aren't special upgrades in my book, they're part of basic drawing commands that otherwise make drawing many objects a PITA.

I sent an email a couple of weeks ago to LHR with the following question:

Currently, the trial version of the software has many limitations. If I buy the machine now, and I await for future delivery when it becomes available, would I be able to have the full version of software now where I can familiarize myself with the software and begin to design projects?

The reply I received was this:

The trial software has all of the capabilities as the full software. If a feature is grayed out (excluding the center-line text feature), than it does not apply to the current project you are working on. If you would like to get used to the full version, just download the trial version, as the are almost exactly the same.

Even if you are using the full version... Referring to these 'basic CAD features,' could it be that these features do not apply to the current part of the project (or entire project) in which you were working with?

BC

Marzluf
01-24-2007, 06:34 AM
could it be that these features do not apply to the current part of the project (or entire project) in which you were working with?

BC

No....... the "greyd out" that they are talking about refers to the tools currently on your tool menu at the top of the screen. Certain items highlight when they pertain to your current drawing status. The tools that I'm refering to are burried in a "custom menu" that allows you to add or remove certain tools from your tool bar. There are tools on that customize list that can not be placed onto the toolbar. From what I'm learning, these are tools that will only be available in the upgraded packeage that's going to sell for $500.

Again, I would understand if the upgraded package was an extensive library of graphics, pictures, shapes, designs etc., but splitting up the actual drawing commands is a little annoying. It's like giving you the option to draw a circle, but not a square... (yes, you can draw both a circle and a square... I'm just using that as an example of how little sence the split makes to me).

Marzluf
01-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Here are the tools that I'm talking about.

For clarity, I removed the tools that were in the "selected" column by default so that I could drag all of the tools that I'm talking about into that column. If you notice, they don not show up on my tool bar overhead even though all other changes are instant. Ckicking OK does not add them. These are pretty basic tools for drawing in cad.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/9102838/225034922.jpg

Jeff_Birt
01-24-2007, 08:22 AM
I find it hard to speculate about what this 'Professional' version of teh software might have. Certainly none of us has enough information to determin if $495 is a good price or not (or even if it is the correct price). It may well be a helluva deal (or not). At this time we are all working on assumptions and as an old boss of mine once said, "Assume means to make an *** out of U and ME". (I think that was right around the time he suggested that I wear my safety glasses on my butt instead of the top of my head, because that is where he was going to kick me (the butt) for not having my eyes protected. ) :shock:

Marzluf
01-24-2007, 09:06 AM
I understand all that Jeff..... But what bothers me are these 11 simple drawing commands that show as "Available items" on my customize menu that really AREN'T available to me. That makes me think that the upgraded package was hurting for content so they decided to pull a few of the basics out to make the upgrade package seem more appealing.

I'm not asking for a lifesized design of a gothic dragon with scales and all the works. I just want to be able to draw a line vertical without having to give it all kinds of parameters. Know what I mean ?

And like the centerline text that started this thread.... I mean, come on, that's not a jaw dropping addition that needs to be in the "UPGRADE" package IMO.

You follow me ?

pontiak
01-24-2007, 09:20 AM
I find it hard to speculate about what this 'Professional' version of teh software might have. Certainly none of us has enough information to determin if $495 is a good price or not (or even if it is the correct price). It may well be a helluva deal (or not). At this time we are all working on assumptions and as an old boss of mine once said, "Assume means to make an *** out of U and ME". (I think that was right around the time he suggested that I wear my safety glasses on my butt instead of the top of my head, because that is where he was going to kick me (the butt) for not having my eyes protected. ) :shock:I called Carvewright.That is the right price they quoted me.$495.They should just give us the FREE download for the CENTERLINE TEXT.That was the real reason I bought this machine in the first place.I have made many cool things with this machine. But have yet to do what I bought it for. Because of NO CENTERLINE...

pontiak
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I hope they let us know soon. I have orders waiting!!My Messages: Respond to Question

To: kwilkeson5447o
Item: SS THROTTLE PLATE CAMARO SS LT1 350 ENGINE (130072365329)
Subject: Re: Question for item #130072365329 - SS THROTTLE PLATE CAMARO SS LT1 350 ENGINE

Q: Do you make one with big bold red SS ? Keith
Keith. I'm waiting on the program to do this. I need the centerline font. That did not come with my machine. Soon I hope. Mike.
1873 characters left. No HTML.

HandTurnedMaple
01-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm not asking for a lifesized design of a gothic dragon with scales and all the works. I just want to be able to draw a line vertical without having to give it all kinds of parameters. Know what I mean ?

Now that would add some value to the package. And I really hope a very large library will be included for $500.

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Quote "They should just give us the FREE download for the CENTERLINE TEXT.That was the real reason I bought this machine in the first place. I have made many cool things with this machine. But have yet to do what I bought it for. Because of NO CENTERLINE..." End Quote

I agree, got my unit today and need CENTERLINE to do what will pay for the machine. Won't be able to do what I bought it for either UNTIL the Centerline is Released.

We should start a counter..... Day 65 and the Hostages, I mean Centerline Text has not been released yet. Free the Text, Free the Text, Free the Text, Free the Text...... Everyone join in....

Are they making improvements to it, fixing a BUG with it, or just bogarting it?

"Don't Bogart that Text My Friend....." let's put that to music..... Could be a hit...

Well.... I could be busy designing Centerline Text now instead of thinking of dumb stuff like this... "

A bitching Sailor is a Happy Sailor" "The beatings will continue until Moral Improves"

liquidguitars
01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
I just want to be able to draw a line vertical without having to give it all kinds of parameters. Know what I mean ?

Stick with designer a bit, the spline tools are very simple but powerful as

you can change the spline tension with the right mouse selection. spline or normal.

Regarding the price of the software I think it will be worth the upgrade if we could get a few cross platform saving/inport options like DXF, OBJ, BMP/out, and tool paths for large format CNCs. and yea fee center line text now! :)

Kenny
01-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Has anyone heard anything lately regarding CarveWright "releasing" the centerline fonts?

mtylerfl
01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Why not search FREEFONTs for a TTY that is equvalent to your needs

Hello Iceman,

Could you please describe what is a "TTY" and how that relates to the centerline font cutting (or rather, the absence thereof, with the CW software)?

Is a "TTY" a certain font type that somehow "forces" the CW to carve with a V-bit along the centerline of each character?

JBarr
01-30-2007, 11:48 AM
When we are referring to centerline font on the cw, we are talking about the method the cw uses to carve the letters. The modes are raster, outline and centerline. Centerline was removed when I upgraded the software package and am waiting to get it back.

mtylerfl
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
TTY is a TrueType font used on your computer
Search for the font that best suits your needs

Hello Iceman,

I think you meant "TTF" (TrueTypeFont) not "TTY".

I thought maybe there was a new font type I had not heard of before that would be useful for CW to carve along the centerline somehow.

I think you may not be familiar with what centerline cutting is on the CW. We need the option/capability to enable lettering to be carved more efficiently using a V-bit. The way this is accomplished is via a centerline font cutting option in the CW software.

Many of us (all of us?) were led to believe that this was included with the software package, based upon the software description posted on the CW website. I see now that that description has been altered ...

Original Description (before January 23rd 2007):

Text
The CarveWright design software has extensive text capabilities. You can raster in text for a bold 3D effect. You can outline the text using a variety of bits. You can even single path the text using a V bit for an engraved look that can be carved quickly. There are no special fonts needed. The design software uses the true type fonts already on your computer. Creating one of a kind signs has never been easier.

New (altered) Description changed sometime after January 23rd 2007:

Text
The CarveWright design software has extensive text capabilities. You can raster in text for a bold 3D effect. You can outline the text using a variety of bits. You can even single path the text using a V bit for an engraved look that can be carved quickly. There are no special fonts needed. The design software uses the true type fonts already on your computer. Creating one of a kind signs has never been easier. (*centerline not included in basic package)

The alteration that was made is the addition of the last line: "(*centerline not included in basic package)".

pontiak
01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Mike. I caught that too. A few weeks ago. I talked to a software programmer that works for CW. He was told by the C.E.O. of the company CENTERLINE would be sold for $50. I'm still waiting...... :roll:

Charles M
02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
The MPC file above must be working as it seems to have quelled this topic :roll: 8)

ICEMAN,

That was really kind of you to go to the effort. So far I haven't figured out how to bust up your letters to make words. Am I missing something? If not I will have to keep looking for a way to get the individual letters (and hopefully in various fonts). Thanks!

Charles

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I am really lacking in my knowledge of the software side as I have been so busy and just put it off waiting for Centerline Text. Just still trying to catch up from Christmas when my Sublimation printer went down.

Correct me if I am wrong but..... This could be useful if there was one down load for each letter or number I think... Then you could import each letter and manipulate it??

Anyone played with the drill function....

Am I also right that my Windows 2000 P3 won't run Designer.... Got errors. This XP P4 run's it OK.

I am looking for another P4 laptop to use at night in bed, my study time, so busy in the shop during the day.

AL

pkunk
02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I am really lacking in my knowledge of the software side as I have been so busy and just put it off waiting for Centerline Text. Just still trying to catch up from Christmas when my Sublimation printer went down.

Correct me if I am wrong but..... This could be useful if there was one down load for each letter or number I think... Then you could import each letter and manipulate it??

Anyone played with the drill function....

Am I also right that my Windows 2000 P3 won't run Designer.... Got errors. This XP P4 run's it OK.

I am looking for another P4 laptop to use at night in bed, my study time, so busy in the shop during the day.

AL
I use the drill function all the time. Can't help w/ the rest.

Digitalwoodshop
02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Thank You for the shelf pin file, I will look at it tomorrow.

Before I left the shop tonight I played with the Drill function and it looks like it should be easy to get what I want.

Could someone please post a centerline file for me to play with.

Marion Ct.

With the 105 centered and bigger and it fitting on a 5 - 3/4 inch high board.

To cut a Centerline Text you need a 60 or 90 V Bit correct? That is on back order.

Thanks,

AL

This forum was down for a short period of time so I went lurking in the Shop Bot Forum.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/12366.html

I bet all this interest in Carve Wright just might result in a Bit Map Shop Bot Program like Carve Wright.

BobHill
02-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Ahhh, COMPETITION .... not only makes the world go around (and stay current), but us, the buyer and user can only benefit.

Bob

Skyhawk
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
1) Start with a clean board (for this explanation)

2) OPEN the TEXT dialog by selecting the T button on the tool bar

3) SELECT the MODERN font

4) TYPE in the text desired

5) You might have to reset spacing as desired (12)

6) If the text looks fat ...... INVERT it with the INVERT tool bar button

And if your looking for that grooved look, simply right click the text after it's been placed and select 'outline pattern(s)' - Delete the original text leaving only the outlined patterns - Then select either the 60 or 90 degree V groove bit!

benluz
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
And if your looking for that grooved look, simply right click the text after it's been placed and select 'outline pattern(s)' - Delete the original text leaving only the outlined patterns - Then select either the 60 or 90 degree V groove bit!

Thanks I have been looking for that !
Ben

SLSettles
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I have been trying to emulate true centerline text, where the V-bit goes deeper as the stroke gets wider, which I assume is the type of centerline the upgrade package will come with? Anyhow, I came up with the following results out of Photoshop using the inner-glow effect. It is less than perfect, especially since it has to use the 1/16th inch bit instead of V-bit, but the effect is pretty good, IMO. It is still raster, not vector, so I made the bitmap much larger than needed to eliminate jaggies. This uses black text on a black background and a white inner glow that is adjusted to be pure white in the middle of the widest strokes and dark grey near the edge (but not black). I'll go into more detail if folks are interested.

SLSettles
03-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Here is another sample that more dramatically demonstrates the "true centerline" aspects of this technique.

Jon Jantz
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
SLSettles,

That effect is very easily achieved with a vector-based graphics program such as CorelDraw. I'm working on a tutorial that shows how to do a bunch of different effects...

Here's an example.

SLSettles
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Jon, are you bringing vector art into Designer somehow? I assume not, so my next question is how you use a regular TTF to create the displacement map and how you get such sharp troughs, they actually look like a v-bit. I tried some techniques in Illustrator (blending between a hand-drawn trough shape and the outlined type shape) but found them tedious compared to Photoshop. Does Corel have a gradient-to-center fill style? The result is quite nice.

Charles M
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
You should get Jon's Logo Tutorial. I think you will understand the concept after watching it.

cajunpen
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah Jon, quite teasing us with threats of posting another tutorial and do it.

Hopefully you know that was said in jest, not trying to be a smart a.. I know that you are working your business and this is a sideline/hobby, but I can't wait for the next one.

RC Woodworks
03-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Ok I am dumb what is centerline text? With this new software will the machine be able to carve around the letters rather then jab into the wood?

Digitalwoodshop
03-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I believe we have a work around for the Centerline Text not being avaliable. I don't want to steal his Thunder, but I have another test piece to cut tomorrow, then I think a forum friend will be posting the fix...so far so good.

AL

rgant05
03-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Yes RC, Centerline text is the ability for the machine to use a 60 or 90 degree router bit and cut the letters like you would on a sign router template (the way I understand it) The argument that I have had all along is that it was provided to the beta testers origially ( I have no problem with that) but for weeks even after I bought mine it was advertised as a feature that came with the machine and a feature I feel based on their advertising that I bought when I bought my machine. Now they are going to charge me another $50 for it from what I am hearing. But then no need to go into all of that now. They have modified their ads at this point, but still irks me that even on the box my machine came in, it shows the centerline text feature as coming with the machine. In my opinion it would really make quick work out of just the basic "lettered" signs that some might want to make now and then. Raster is more flexible, but takes a long time if you are just cutting recessed text.

Roger

SLSettles
03-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I think I'm getting pretty close to the effect I want. I finally remembered where the shape burst gradient capability was hiding in Photoshop, in the Layer Styles and under Stroke. In this dialog you can define a stroke inside your layer (in this case text) and make the stroke a gradient, and confine the gradient to the shape (i.e. a shape burst). The attached dialog capture shows the settings I used. You will have to adjust the stroke width to the size of your text and so that the widest part of the strokes are white in the middle (not clipped). The results are pretty good to my eye, at least in Designer. Maybe someone who actually owns a CW will try it for me? 27 more days till my demo dies, then I guess I'll have to break down and buy a CW of my own.

Greybeard
03-15-2007, 08:27 PM
For those cw owners without the centerline font facility, I offer this partial workaround.

What I have done is to place on two project boards two fonts each, all in centerline.
Each letter or symbol is a separate object that can be "copied/pasted" or deleted, in order that you can build up the text you need, and each can be moved to get the layout you want.

The fonts are Times New Roman and Sylfaen on the first board, and MS Sans Serif and Commercial Script BT on the second.

If by chance you don't have one of those fonts in your computer, it will change to the nearest in style that you do have, but I have no idea if it will then still give you the centerline font.

I hope Al will post his experience of using this method, and also post its limitations.

There is another method of achieving a similar workaround if you are desperate for a different typeface, but it involves you sending me your text to convert.

Use and enjoy.

John

rgant05
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
John,
Does this still use the raster method of cutting only with centerline looking results or does it use the 90 degree router bit and cut the letter in the actual number of strokes it takes to form the letter?

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Greybeard,

Thank You for posting the 4 fonts. How I use them is to open the letter board. Then open a new project. Go back and forth, copy a letter then go to the new board and paste. Keep doing that for all the letters in word order so they cut without skipping around the board. I size the text by typing in the block, the size rather than pulling it bigger for consistency. I turn on the grid and move the text around. So far so good.

What John didn't mention, the J and Z in the Script Font were missing the bottom left of the letter in the first conversion to Centerline. He found a fix for it and I tested it this morning. So he just replaced the 2 faulty letters with the repaired letters on the board. This could be why Centerline was recalled.....

The restrictions to this is you can't change the depth, if you do, it converts back to non centerline. Just do a undo or delete it and start over with that letter.

Another restriction I found is if you grab it wrong to move it, not sure how, but it will lock in either horizontal or vertical and only move up and down or side to side. I just delete it and pick another until I understand what I did wrong.

Moving a whole block of letters can crash your computer. I have 1 Gig of Ram and I still have choked it...

This is the work around for the Centerline Text.

Anyone with Centerline Text that wants to do a font board feel free to add interesting fonts.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
To answer your question, this does NOT raster. It Centerlines the text letter one at a time, just a bit at a time completing the letter and moving on. Did see it do 2 letters at a single place, doing the first to a set depth than the second letter to a set depth and back to the first doing it deeper, then back to the second and finishing. Did a address board with 3 big numbers, (3 inch) and the street name in 7 minutes.

Did a big 5.5 inch high letter and because of the V90 it left a peek in the center of the letter. Didn't look bad.

You can select each letter then select "Select Bit" and pick V60 or V90.

I even drilled holes in the center of the letter for lights and it asked for the 1/8 inch cutting bit. Select the hole size and it makes it with the 1/8 inch bit.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I need to explain this better. A reply to a PM that you might find useful.

As I am typing this PM I push the keys on the keyboard and the type appears on my screen.

In Designer if you want to select Text, you hit the big "T" and type away.

The problem is they only let you outline or raster the letters on a board.

Some people have the older version and they have 3 choices, outline, and raster like we do plus centerline text.

They can just type text after hitting the big "T" and when done select centerline text and using a V60 or V90 make letters like you do with a router. WE CAN'T.

To cheat our Carve Machine into doing Centerline Text because every machine CAN do it, WE just don't have that program. WE Cheat the Carve Computer by having Greybeard make up a board that he types A space B space C space all 27 letters, numbers and !@#$%^& stuff.

Think of it as a .jpg picture of a "A" on the downloaded board. BUT the .jpg "A" will carve as centerline text.

So I open his test board that he did in New Times Roman and also in 3 other fonts. THANK YOU !!!!!

I select the "A" from his New Times Roman font and treat it like a picture. I copy it like a picture.

I open a new board and right click and paste it on my new board. Move it to the left of center.

I go back to the test font board and select the "L" and copy it.

I go to my new board that already has the "A" on it and paste the "L".

I select the "A" and change the size with the number input area at the top of the screen after highlighting it. I final position it.

I do the same with the "L" and place it in it's final position.

I now have a sign with the letters "AL" that will centerline text cut with a V60 or V90 bit.

Remember you are NOT typing this sign on the keyboard you are building the sign using letters that are very much like a .jpg photo.

With this EVERYONE can do Centerline TEXT as long as you only change the size of the text and select a V bit. This will VECTOR CUT, NOT Raster cut.

If you select a letter and change the depth it will no longer be centerline text because WE don't have Centerline text. Delete it and re paste a new letter.

The order you select the letters will be your cut order unless you drag them up or down in the cutting order.

The bigger the letter, the deeper it cuts. Left a center ridge in a 5.5 inch letter. Looked good.

I don't think you could lower the text into a dish area of your board with this copy and paste method. The real centerline most likely can.

Good Luck,

AL

Greybeard
03-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Just a minor additional note to Al's description.
Each of the letters on my board are separate objects. I had to enter each text letter one at a time on the original alphabet. That was fairly tedious, but it got worse !
Selecting the whole lot, then copy/paste to a new position gave me a second copy of the same font, but I couldn't change the font by selecting them all. I had to change one letter at a time. Designer screwed up when I tried it.

Some of the letters also seemed to be cropped in the text screen, and came out cropped on the board, but using the arc tool in the text window seemed to allow it, and it imported correctly.

I have got a quicker method, in theory, but I need someone to send me a text to try it, but you MUST do it like this -

You set the text up with the layout you want, using the raster setting of the font of your choice, but with no other objects. Save it as an mpc file and send it to me attached to an email(PM me first). All I need do(in my theory) is open it in Designer, select the text, and click on centerline, save, then post it back to you.

Easy, or what ??
The only fly in the ointment is if you choose a font I haven't got !
In this case you also attach a copy of the font that is in your Windows/fonts folder.

John

Digitalwoodshop
03-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback and update. I wondered about the A space B space C space thing.... I was wrong on that, and now see why it works because it's a seperate object...

Thanks,

AL

Greybeard
03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I've just had it confirmed by another user that this method works ok, so the offer remains open to anyone that needs it.
I must stress though, as Kurtsara mentions, you've got to set it up right first time.
If you want variations in your layout there will come a point when the first method is more efficient.
Unless of course you set it up as individual letters !
Anyone like to try that option ?

John

WhiteWolf
03-22-2007, 09:17 PM
We have been on the waiting List on this... Is it Out Now?

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
No it's not out yet. This is just files with something like pictures of the letters that you can use to make a centerline font sign from. Think of it as kids letter blocks that react in your carve machine "AS IF" you typed them on a keyboard and selected Centerline Text only, but this is harder but "WORKS" for now.

If you wanted to make a sign with white wolf on it you open the board with the font you like. Download it from above. Open a new board and back on the font board, left select the W then right click and select copy. Close font board open new board. Right Click and select paste. The W will pop up some place. Move it and re size it. Start over and do each letter. You can watch the numbers with the letter selected and use the up down left right arrows to move the letters. Get all the letters in a given row the same distance from the top or bottom letter.

Read the full post for further directions or if you have a question PM or eMail me. digitalwoodshop@aol.com

AL

CallNeg151
03-26-2007, 08:15 PM
No it's not out yet. This is just files with something like pictures of the letters that you can use to make a centerline font sign from. Think of it as kids letter blocks that react in your carve machine "AS IF" you typed them on a keyboard and selected Centerline Text only, but this is harder but "WORKS" for now.

If you wanted to make a sign with white wolf on it you open the board with the font you like. Download it from above. Open a new board and back on the font board, left select the W then right click and select copy. Close font board open new board. Right Click and select paste. The W will pop up some place. Move it and re size it. Start over and do each letter. You can watch the numbers with the letter selected and use the up down left right arrows to move the letters. Get all the letters in a given row the same distance from the top or bottom letter.

Read the full post for further directions or if you have a question PM or eMail me. digitalwoodshop@aol.com

AL

A slightly easier way is to select ALL of the letters on the font board (or at least all of the ones you will need), and then copy them into your new project. Then move them around in your new project. It's still slow, but faster than switching between two projects again and again.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I know this is a little off topic, but has anyone tried to vector cut around letters that have been raster cut in a secondary operation? It seems to me that this would clean up the outsides of the lettering and crisp it up quite a bit???

Ron

CallNeg151
03-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but has anyone tried to vector cut around letters that have been raster cut in a secondary operation? It seems to me that this would clean up the outsides of the lettering and crisp it up quite a bit???

Ron
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean something like combining a raster font and an outline font, and having the machine cut both?

I don't think it's been done, but I'm not exactly sure what it would accomplish. if the vector bit struck raised raster text, then the raster text would be more likely to chip-out.

rjustice
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you mean something like combining a raster font and an outline font, and having the machine cut both?

I don't think it's been done, but I'm not exactly sure what it would accomplish. if the vector bit struck raised raster text, then the raster text would be more likely to chip-out.

Call... well sort of... I am not sure how the machine post processes the operations we give it, but if you cut and pasted the same text that was raster cut, then did an outline on that text and used the same bit, would it simply make a "dry" pass around the lettering theoretically taking no material other than the scallops that are left from the raster cut? I think it would improve the quality around the lettering significantly.. but i dont know if the software works that way or not... May need to do some experimenting on my own if nobody has tried it yet..

Ron

Greybeard
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Call... taking no material other than the scallops that are left from the raster cut? ...

Ron

Ron, by "scallops" are you refering to the appearance that the "feather edge" produces when you load text onto a board for a raster cut ?

If you are, are you aware that adding a carved "region" around the text effectively removes that, and gives you a flat background ?
Add "best Bit Optimisation" and you ought to have all the crispness you need.
Regards
John

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Here are 2 examples of Centerline Font from Greybeard's Font board. Thank You Greybeard !!!. When lining up a row of letters all you do is set the constraint at say .5 inches on all the text, then allign left and right.

This is PVC and Correct Deck a Trexx like board.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2007, 07:02 PM
This is the Green Correct Deck with a laser low tack paper tape. The board sensor will not see the green board without it. Used a V90 for all the text here. Should have used V60 for the smaller letters like I did in the white PVC.

Did get some melted plastic stuck to the V90 bit with this. Was planning to spray the letters white but the low tack paper lifted.

This is also Centerline Font from Greybeard's Font board.

AL

rjustice
03-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Ron, by "scallops" are you refering to the appearance that the "feather edge" produces when you load text onto a board for a raster cut ?

If you are, are you aware that adding a carved "region" around the text effectively removes that, and gives you a flat background ?
Add "best Bit Optimisation" and you ought to have all the crispness you need.
Regards
John

John,
Scallops are a term we use in the steel cutting field. When cutting 3d shapes, if you imagine the shape that is left from moving over the .006 steps in a raster type motion, it looks like waves in the ocean... the peaks that are left are what i am referring to as scallops.... the same is apparent when you look down in the top view of fonts... the more steep the geometry is on a font the worse the scallop is. Using MasterCam, we use a corner pick operation that is similar to the Vector cutting motion in this software. It keeps the cutter in contact with the bottom and side surfaces continuosly as it moves around the detail... this leaves a very smoothe detail.... It pretty much eliminates polishing in steel.

Ron

Greybeard
03-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Ron - thanks for the heads up on scallops, not a term I've heard over this side of the pond... only when I dine out ;)
If pushed to give a name for that effect I'd probably say "like contour lines", so you win for brevity.
Regards
John