PDA

View Full Version : Cannot raise head

JBarr
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I received my compucarve today. I am unable to raise the head. Crank will not turn. It clutch's when turning it towards the down. It appears that the head is currently at it's lowest point (fully down). Attempting to turn the head screw as mentioned about vertical lockup does not help. Has anyone seen this?

Dan-Woodman
01-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Is the head locking leaver pulled out.
On my carvewright unit the handle is red right below the window that opens. handle must be in toward machine.

JBarr
01-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Handle is in the unlocked position.

BobHill
01-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Jim,

First try the rod/small screwdriver in the right hand lift rod screw which has a hole in it for that purpose. It should rotate CCW (away from you) to makethe top go up. If it still won't budge, you might have to check the gears from the crank, but I'd have the CW people walk you through that.

Bob

bamaman315
01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1098

check out this it is 15 spaces above your trouble shooting question, that was what was wrong with mine too. can't raise or lower head

JBarr
01-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I called CW and spoke with tech support. I found that was my trouble also. Only after leveling the head I find that it is real easy for it to go up. But, going down the handle clutchs every other turn or so. I sent a email to support on Friday and have not gotten a response. I re-submitted today. I am going to call back and attempt to speak with someone if I do not get a reply soon. Any suggestions on the cause?

bamaman315
01-23-2007, 05:26 AM
They had me to remove my handle and lube it with some litium greese , the best way I found to do this was with a small suringe without a needle, when you pull your hanle off you will see some spacers and a spring , watch out not to drop the washer that is on the screw head when taking handle off. when handle is off you can look inside and see the clutch , you need to get the greese behind it, when that is done reinstall handle, note when screw is hand tight , turn handle while pushing in til the clutch engages then tighten the screw the rest of the way . Dont forget to greese the 4 coner guides and the 2 jack screws that raises and lowers the head. Good Luck

JBarr
01-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks bamaman315. That took care of my troubles. Back to carving. It would be great if we could consolidate good tips in one place for easier searching.