PDA

View Full Version : Hanging projects

James RS
10-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Anybody have any good tips for hanging things blindly?

rncurrie
10-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I use a keyhole slot.

dbfletcher
10-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Agreed. Here is a link to a thread with sample path you can use to have the CW make the keyholes.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?13483-Router-bits&highlight=keyhole

CarverJerry
10-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I use a key hole cutter and I put it horizonally, it helps to keep things balanced as wood isn't always balanced from a center point.

CJ

Dale in Anaheim
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Which bit do you tell the machine to use when you use a keyhole bit?

dbfletcher
10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I tell the machine it is a 1/2 straight bit. My keyhole bit is actual at 3/8 bit.

James RS
10-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks, but I made a wooden valance for the wife for 2 windows and I have it together and stained

GrammaPam
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Very Nice! You will be so proud when visitors comment on it.

Been wanting to do something like that myself. Could you post a photo after it is installed?

Keep up the good work.

G.P.

AskBud
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
James,
Go to the hardware store and ask for "Blind keyhole brackets". They may even come with instructions. For that much weight, you need metal rather than just a wooden slot.
AskBud

James RS
10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks I will do that, and thanks Bud I remember now seeing some of those on some carved pieces at Loews.

Very Nice! You will be so proud when visitors comment on it.

Been wanting to do something like that myself. Could you post a photo after it is installed?

Keep up the good work.

G.P.

cestout
10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
For light stuff I use a key slot cutter on my router table before I remove the cutout from the piece. For heavy stuff I got metal key slot hanbgers from Rockler and carve out a place on the back for them. It is a 3/32" deeb carved out regon 3/8" wide and 3/4"high with the ends bowed, then a 3/8 x 3/8 x 5/16deep in the center. I did this on one project and now copy and past it to any project where I need it. I suppose I could make a pattern from it. The size depends onn the hardware you get.
Clint

James RS
10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Here's a picture of one of the valances installed, as far as hanging it I just used hinges with removable pins.
I looked at the keyhole mounts but I would of had to rout the edge and I had it all stained.The hinges worked great, I got the pattern here on the site and want to
Thank the person for sharing it, I just can't remember who.

Dan-Woodman
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
James
For a project this size I think I would take a 1x4 the length of the valance , rip it in half at a 45 degree angle and mount one to the wall with angle protruding out and the other to the valance with the mateing angle toword the wall so they interlock when the valance is hang over the wall mounted piece. I hope this makes sence ,I'm not very good a explaining this.
later Daniel

jaroot
10-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I believe that that is called a "french" cleat. I use it for mounting most of my cabinets in my shop/garage/storage room. Works great and will handle a significant amount of weight. I have even mounted my power miter saw to the wall with this system. The best thing about the miter saw is that I can slide it along the wall to give adequate room on which ever side I need it.

James
For a project this size I think I would take a 1x4 the length of the valance , rip it in half at a 45 degree angle and mount one to the wall with angle protruding out and the other to the valance with the mateing angle toword the wall so they interlock when the valance is hang over the wall mounted piece. I hope this makes sence ,I'm not very good a explaining this.
later Daniel

GrammaPam
10-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the finished picture. It looks great, James. I do want to use that same valance idea.
G.P.

James RS
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
ThanksDan,
I actually have to make another set for the living room now:roll:

James
later Daniel

Old Salt
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Your Welcome
Looks Good !