PDA

View Full Version : scaning probe help

myrsdave
01-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I just purchased and am awaiting the arrival of my scanner -- can you use it to scan glass or other things that might easily chip -- how much pressure is involved -- next if you scan a object thats 2"deep,and the probe only scans 1" would the probe assume that the rest of the scan area is flat :?:

flyboy
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
You can scan any 3D object of any material. Very little pressure is used, You can even scan an object made of clay if that gives you an indication of the pressure used.

However, the object must be less than or equal to 1". the scanner probe has 1" of travel. To scan an object thicker will damage the probe.

mtylerfl
01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Flyboy,

So you have actually used the probe yourself on soft clay and was successful? Great!

I really want to hear about how you did it. I had planned to use the probe on clay models I make myself (my probe order was shipped to me today, and that's one reason why I bought it, because I understood it could scan "soft materials").

At least one experienced scanning probe user says that the probe exerts too much pressure for that (even though CW clearly states it will work on soft materials such as clay or wax). Please then let us know what you are doing differently that allows your probe to work on clay.

Take a look at the forum link regarding this very subject...
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=961