PDA

View Full Version : servo error

woodchip
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I just recieved a servo stallerror and missed the info that came with it. I know I opened the machine to vacume it outn when I closed it and hit enter the bit moved but didn,t swpin. Any help on this one? I hope I posted this in the correct place.
Thanks
Don

lynnfrwd
10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
How wide is your project? Could be a fatal error 2 or 3 that will be fixed next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodchip
10-02-2011, 01:23 PM
The project was 9.25 wide.
Don

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Grasshopper.... The clue was Vacuum.... I believe you have an error caused by using the vacuum cleaner to clean the machine and the static produced by the chips flowing through the hose produce thousands of volts of computer killing power... You "May" have fried the $300.00 computer, Power Supply, and more.....

Another post please after removing the card and re formatting starting over as well as re booting the machine.... We will know more depending on what you find next.

Do a search on Static Electricity and Vacuuming the machine and find dozens of posts.... "I stopped my machine and vacuumed it out and now it is DEAD"......

Read Tips and Tricks for more things you really need to know before you plug in the machine.... But I just saw over 60 posts....

I could be wrong... and it could be the error LHR is addrressing....

AL

woodchip
10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Al, I tried another card and all is working well. I know I've done this before and nothiing happened. Did I just get careless this time.Also is the card I used before now waste?
Don

woodchip
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Al, I see youir a very busy man today so THANK-YOU for your time. Now I reread the maint part on cleaning your machine so my question is, when the machine is unplugged, vacuming will no longer hurt the machine?
Don

gapdev
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Could be a fatal error 2 or 3 that will be fixed next week.

Please add a Fatal Error 4 to that, please. Same conditions cause it, Pause Machine, then Continue.

And these 2, 3, and 4 errors aren't just with Wide Boards, although with Wide Boards they are consistent.

Kenny

gapdev
10-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Since the Computer and Power supply are at the bottom and the Computer is surrounded by a metal box, and in my case, the metal is grounded, how does Vacuuming the inside of the machine Zap the computer?

Kenny

woodchip
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
This brings up another good question.....should I ground the machine also? Looking forward to answers on some of my dumb questions.
THANKS ALL
Don

gapdev
10-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a ground wire from outlet screw to 1 of the screws holding down the traction belt on far side of machine. 14 gauge bare copper wire.

I question I was thinking, what's the difference between vacuuming and dust collection as far as static is concerned? Don't they both draw sawdust through a plastic fitting/hose?

Kenny

fwharris
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Since the Computer and Power supply are at the bottom and the Computer is surrounded by a metal box, and in my case, the metal is grounded, how does Vacuuming the inside of the machine Zap the computer?

Kenny

The air and wood chips moving through the shop vac hose is at a very high volume/rate and it takes very little time before that static charge is built up and then zap! The Charge usually dispates through the key board side electronics to the computer.

I question I was thinking, what's the difference between vacuuming and dust collection as far as static is concerned? Don't they both draw sawdust through a plastic fitting/hose?

The dust collection systems should have a grounding wire either in or around the hose to carry the charge to ground. Shop vac hoses to not. Also a dust collection system does not move the air at the same rate as the shop vac. On my DC-INSERT I recommend attaching a light weight aluminum dryer vent hose to the insert from either the dust colletor or to the dc hose.

rickyz
10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
i had the same thing happen to me today. got a servo error when I accidentally hit the cover. my fix happened to be the brushes on the motor. guess they just gave out at that moment. they were very short. I had a back up pair thankfully so I was up and running again. I noticed that I took the flexshaft off the truck and there was literally no resistance. that's when I checked the brushes. I'm no expert but it is something to look at, maybe one cracked or just worn out. good luck

Digitalwoodshop
10-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Sorry Guys... Been Busy....

As for the Cut Motor Brushes.... About 290 Cut Hours is the end of life but it depends on the length of the copper wire inside the spring of the brush.

Yes, the chips moving through the hose of the Vacuum cause the High Voltage Static to be generated. The more plastic in the hose and the less carbon the higher the static charge. So cheaper Shop Vac Hoses are mostly plastic will generate the most static charge.

That Nylon Belt and Steel Ball Static Generator most see in High School making the Girls hair stand out is a Static Electricity Generator.

The question as if he machine is un plugged then Static Can't Hurt... Well, I believe the correct answer is that it CAN hurt the machine.... Even un plugged.... Here is the Readers Digest reason Why....

First there were Vacuum Tubes that made your electronics work as in a TV, Radio, and Yes Computer.... My first Computer had Hundreds of little Vacuum Tubes in it.... The Mk 47 Gun Fire Control Computer

Then there was Transistors... My second computer had Transistors... A newer MK 47 Gun Fire Control Computer....

Then there was TTL or Transistor Transistor Logic.... made is small IC or Integrated Circuits....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor_computer

http://inventors.about.com/od/tstartinventions/a/transistor_history.htm

Then there was CMOS or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS

Transistors and TTL Logic Chips were very POWER Hungry.... And could be faulted by a noisy power supply.

CMOS Chips and the many variations of the MOS or Metal Oxide Semiconductor are used in everyday computers like the CarveWright System. They use less POWER and are less susceptible to Electronic NOISE....

The weakness is STATIC ELECTRICITY... Many of the IN and OUT Pins of the Computer Chips are MOS and Static can Punch Holes through the FILM of the Gate... It is a known problem that Static from handling Chips in Manufacturing and REPAIR can cause holes that don't kill the chip at the time but will fail at a later date... Electronic Techs normally use a Grounded Wrist Strap and Grounded Rubber Work Matt. The Wrist Strap has a resistor in the line to ground so the Tech can't get Electrocuted if he were to touch high voltage and take it through the Heart from hand to hand. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSu7zK1fslxtU4xt1N8_xev7qe 17zHvTSevTSeSSSSSS--&fn=Wriststrap%20Tech%20Brief.pdf

So back to the CW World... That static that is being generated by the Vacuum Cleaner will find it's way into the wiring of your computer.... GROUNDING the In feed tray, frame and my Ringneck Collector of the CW is important. I do it THROUGH my Dust Collector using a Wire with 3 Gator Clips on each end of a 10 foot cable. The other end grounded on 2 places on the dust collector motor and frame and the other on the Foil hose. This will help some if you also use a Vacuum Cleaner hose.... Some have had GOOD LUCK using a Grounded Machine and a Vacuum Cleaner. Someone asked about the dust collector and static... My first Dust Collector is made of Copper Circuit Board Material and painted. I ground the copper Collector, Machine Frame, and Foil Hose....

One day I am doing a Cut Path and I hear this Snap, Snap, Snap.... I look and I see a Lightning Bolt jumping the gap between my Copper Dust Collector to the 1/8 inch Cutting Bit.... I turn off the lights and YES... A 1 inch bolt of Lighting... I look and the Gator clip on the Copper Collector had come off.... The dust through the collector was causing the Static Voltage. Hooked up the Ground Clip and no more SNAP...

There will be some users that doubt some of what I posted.... Especially how static can weaken the Chips... The PC World story brings the point that changing your RAM Memory Chips and not having a proper Wrist Ground can WEAKEN the inputs and outputs of the chip to latter FAIL causing strange errors.... Holes Blown through the Capacitive Inputs... A Capacitor is two pieces of foil with a insulator between them. The plates of the Cap hold charges. Holes blown thought the insulator are Wounds that will later fail...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/protecting-electronic-components-from-dreaded-stat.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/82184/avoid_static_damage_to_your_pc.html

http://www.evaluationengineering.com/archives/articles/1102esd.htm

Old Salt
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Al

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the power cord with a 3 prong and run ground wire to each of the parts to grd .

I lost 2 cards and comp last winter from pluging in card.

Digitalwoodshop
10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
In an earlier post... Way back in 2007.... One of our members at the time worked at the UL Lab doing the Certification on the CW. He did not directly work on the CW Project but he said that it had a 3 pin plug but LHR was forced to change it to a 2 pin plug... I don't know the reasons... BUT.... The Cut Motor is designed as a Double Insulated version at least that is what it looks like to me...

So that leads us to today.... Adding a Ground to drain off Static Electricity is pretty much a mandatory fix we must make.... Note that LHR has not done a dust collection system... I believe that the UL part of the Certification is the stopping factor with that.... TOO many Variables to factor in with UL...

SO my recommendation is a 10 foot insulated wire and on each end 3 wires with Gator Clips you find at Radio Shack or Home Depot. Ground the machine in 3 places.... In feed, Metal Frame, and Dust Hood..... And on the other end.... Motor Metal, Frame, and If you use a foil hose... Ground it...

Good Luck,

AL

woodchip
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
I believe I started this mess soooo my question is once again is the card trashed? Thank goodness I have others. The machine is working great. Please answer this I'm kind of afraid to try the card.
Don

Digitalwoodshop
10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Reformat the card and load a new project and the latest Designer and find out... That is the only way....

It will either work or not..

AL

woodchip
10-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks AL, didn't want to blow up the machine.
Don