PDA

View Full Version : Jogging to Position

gapdev
09-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Question about how to place the project and Jogging to Edge or Corner.

Are these the correct assumptions as to where to place the bit:

1. The corner or edge the machine is referring to is the Top Left Corner or Left Edge as seen in designer.

2. With the board in the machine, this Top Left Corner or Left Edge becomes the Bottom Right Corner or Right Edge (looking at it from the keypad).

3. You should place the Z / Bit at the right corner of your board and that is where the Designer Board starts. If your Designer Board has a 3 1/2 inch blank space for the rollers, then the machine will start 3 1/2 inches in from the corner/edge you told it to start at. If you have a 1/2 inch edge on your Designer board, then the machine will also start 1/2 inch in from where you told it to start.

4. In Designer, if you don't leave the 3 1/2 inch space on the length (left side), and 1/2 inch space on the width (top side), and you tell the machine to start at the extreme lower right side of your board, then its going to start carving right there and won't be able to stay under rollers or keep from carving/cutting into the tracking roller.

5. Am I confused?

6. I need to start doing this in case the machine messes up and I have to restart the carve. Telling it to start at the left or center the project doesn't seem to be accurate enough to recover and re-start the carve.

Kenny

AskBud
09-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Question about how to place the project and Jogging to Edge or Corner.

Are these the correct assumptions as to where to place the bit:

1. The corner or edge the machine is referring to is the Top Left Corner or Left Edge as seen in designer.

2. With the board in the machine, this Top Left Corner or Left Edge becomes the Bottom Right Corner or Right Edge (looking at it from the keypad).

3. You should place the Z / Bit at the right corner of your board and that is where the Designer Board starts. If your Designer Board has a 3 1/2 inch blank space for the rollers, then the machine will start 3 1/2 inches in from the corner/edge you told it to start at. If you have a 1/2 inch edge on your Designer board, then the machine will also start 1/2 inch in from where you told it to start.

4. In Designer, if you don't leave the 3 1/2 inch space on the length (left side), and 1/2 inch space on the width (top side), and you tell the machine to start at the extreme lower right side of your board, then its going to start carving right there and won't be able to stay under rollers or keep from carving/cutting into the tracking roller.

5. Am I confused?

6. I need to start doing this in case the machine messes up and I have to restart the carve. Telling it to start at the left or center the project doesn't seem to be accurate enough to recover and re-start the carve.

Kenny
Jogging is usually when you have an actual board larger than your design (It may apply if you include the additional 7+ inches as well, I don't do this so I'm not sure). You do not move the board or bit, the machine is just asking how you wish to place your design on the stock you are using.

The key, in my opinion, is to remember how you normally reply to this option when asked.
The prompts are usually the following, "Center, jog to corner, or jog to end".
Not all will be available with each board.
Center will always be given, however Corner and End will depend upon the width of the stock. If the stock is the same width as your design, you will get the option of End. If your stock is wider than your design, that option will be Corner.

If you wish to talk, send me a private message, and we can exchange phone numbers.
AskBud

gapdev
10-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Hi Bud,

Thanks for the reply.

I made a test project and went out and tried the various options.

Will post results tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jogging to position definitely seems the way to go if you ever have to go back and restart a project.

Kenny