PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, please

Rocky
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
A friend of mine has asked me to carve a name into the middle of this board (attached). Board is about 36" long and name would be about 25" long (in the middle). I'm used to carving on rectangles and squares. This board, as you can see, has a shape on each end and is cove routed on the edges. I'm worried about the CW not properly recognizing "things" since the baord has the shaped ends. How do I ensure that the carving ends up in the middle? I don't want to ruin this board for my friend.

Thanks,

Old Salt
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I would make a sled to mount it to.
make a few Inches longer and wider .

dbfletcher
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Ditto... a sled is the way to go...

Kenm810
09-30-2011, 02:36 PM
I do most of my QuarterBoard Signs on a Seld Patterns for Boat Signs (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18478-Patterns-for-Boat-Signs&highlight=QuarterBoards)
yours would be about the same thing

AskBud
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
A friend of mine has asked me to carve a name into the middle of this board (attached). Board is about 36" long and name would be about 25" long (in the middle). I'm used to carving on rectangles and squares. This board, as you can see, has a shape on each end and is cove routed on the edges. I'm worried about the CW not properly recognizing "things" since the baord has the shaped ends. How do I ensure that the carving ends up in the middle? I don't want to ruin this board for my friend.

Thanks,What ever you do, be sure he is advised (in writing if possible) that his pre cut board me get damaged.
I had a boat builder submit a similar project, and we damaged his original, fitted, board and he then had to provide a fresh unfinished board 8" longer for carving and then do his fancy curves. He understood, up front, that his finish could complicate things!
AskBud

Rocky
09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Sled sounds fine, but I'm wondering how the CW will react when it is searching for thickness, etc. and comes across the sculptured end?

Thanks,

AskBud
09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. Sled sounds fine, but I'm wondering how the CW will react when it is searching for thickness, etc. and comes across the sculptured end?

Thanks,
I would make the sled rails slightly higher that the highest portion of the piece.
I would also make my rails at least 1 inch wide, so the bit touches on them rather than the project board.
Place a run of masking tape across the sled and board, where the truck will measure the width. I also place a strip in the center the full length of the sled just in case a void, or color change, may cause a measuring problem.
AskBud

Rocky
09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I would make the sled rails slightly higher that the highest portion of the piece.
I would also make my rails at least 1 inch wide, so the bit touches on them rather than the project board.
Place a run of masking tape across the sled and board, where the truck will measure the width. I also place a strip in the center the full length of the sled just in case a void, or color change, may cause a measuring problem.
AskBud

Thanks, Bud.