PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Bit Selection and Outlined Text Bit Questions...

pruitts
01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Carvewright on order from Sears and should be in next week (fingers crossed). Trying to learn the software and found a few things that I am unclear on. I appreciate any information provided.

1. When setting up a project and going into Board Settings, there are choices for the Pattern Bit to be used for your design. The text in the window strongly urges you to keep the 1/16" bit chosen. The default bit shown is the 1/16" Ballnose bit. There is also a selection for a 1/16" Straight bit. According to the Carvewright manual, the bit that comes with the machine is described as a 1/16" Carving bit. Is this considered to be the 1/16" Ballnose bit or 1/16" Straight bit? The terminology between the manual and the software is not the same, thus I am unclear on which one to choose.

2. When creating Text to be carved and choosing Outline, I noticed the 'Select Bit' icon appearing next to the Text entry in the Carvings list. I clicked on the Icon at the top of the software and it appears the '90 V-Groove' bit is chosen by default. Is this considered to be the 1/16" Carving bit that came with the unit? Do I need to get a different bit to carve outlined text versus what comes with the machine? Can I simply use the 1/16" Carving bit that is shipped with the unit?

3. If I put some text in the middle of a board and want to simply draw a rectangular line/groove around the text (such that the text looks like it is inside of a box), how is that accomplished? I have drawn a rectangle and then clicked on the Select Bit icon, however, I am not sure which bit described in the list is equivalent to the bits that came with the tool. Likewise, can I choose the 3/8" Straight bit (for example) and have that look accomplished by the 1/16" Carving bit using several passes, or would I literally need to have the 3/8" bit on hand to make that selection?

Thank you for all of your help in advance and I apologize if these are simple questions that I should understand already.

pkunk
01-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Carvewright on order from Sears and should be in next week (fingers crossed). Trying to learn the software and found a few things that I am unclear on. I appreciate any information provided.

1. When setting up a project and going into Board Settings, there are choices for the Pattern Bit to be used for your design. The text in the window strongly urges you to keep the 1/16" bit chosen. The default bit shown is the 1/16" Ballnose bit. There is also a selection for a 1/16" Straight bit. According to the Carvewright manual, the bit that comes with the machine is described as a 1/16" Carving bit. Is this considered to be the 1/16" Ballnose bit or 1/16" Straight bit? The terminology between the manual and the software is not the same, thus I am unclear on which one to choose.

2. When creating Text to be carved and choosing Outline, I noticed the 'Select Bit' icon appearing next to the Text entry in the Carvings list. I clicked on the Icon at the top of the software and it appears the '90 V-Groove' bit is chosen by default. Is this considered to be the 1/16" Carving bit that came with the unit? Do I need to get a different bit to carve outlined text versus what comes with the machine? Can I simply use the 1/16" Carving bit that is shipped with the unit?

3. If I put some text in the middle of a board and want to simply draw a rectangular line/groove around the text (such that the text looks like it is inside of a box), how is that accomplished? I have drawn a rectangle and then clicked on the Select Bit icon, however, I am not sure which bit described in the list is equivalent to the bits that came with the tool. Likewise, can I choose the 3/8" Straight bit (for example) and have that look accomplished by the 1/16" Carving bit using several passes, or would I literally need to have the 3/8" bit on hand to make that selection?

Thank you for all of your help in advance and I apologize if these are simple questions that I should understand already.
1/16" carving & ballnose are the same
For text (other than raster) you'll need either the 90° V-groove or the 60°
A 3/8" bit would work for that.

pruitts
01-19-2007, 08:04 AM
pkunk - thanks for the information! It looks like I will need to invest in a few more bits to work with the machine. The sad thing is that I have a very nice Crafstman Professional Series bit set. But those are not plunge type bits.

From what I understand, each bit needs to be in a Carvewright adaptor before being inserted into the machine. It would be nice if Sears carried the adaptors and a nice selection of bits rather than trying to order through the website. I will have to check my local Sears Grand to see what they have.

Thanks again!

BobHill
01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Although I haven't checked my local store as yet, I saw where someone wrote they have found the quick release adaptors for sale at SEARS. Whether they have them available at this time I'm not sure, but you also should be able to get them directly from CarveWright.

Bob

David M.
01-19-2007, 09:40 AM
My local Sears here in Denver has the quick change but no bits yet. You have to order them through CW.